Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Root device confusion and difficulties...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root device confusion and difficulties...

Since the root devices were created in HomeSeer I've been having a lot of issues.
    Homeseer calls devices by their child names. "Kitchen Light"
    Google Home calls devices by their root name. "Kitchen Light Root"
    HSTouch does both depending on where you look.

I think I understand the need for root devices, but I really think that they should be invisible rather than having 2 listed items for every light.
    Or at the very least, make the experiance consistent. The last thing I ever want is to hear Google Home add the word "root" to everything.
    And when I view my devices, I just want to see my actionable devices, not a whole bunch of root devices that serves no purpose to me.

Hope I'm explaining this correctly.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
    Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

I suspect you have a number of devices created under HS3?

Devices created in HS4 (Device Version 4) must have a root (parent) device but CANNOT have any controls (on/off etc). Only the feature (child) device can provide controls.
    Devices created in HS3 (Device Version V3.2) and legacy plugins can have just a root (parent) which can be controllable. They can also have feature (child) devices which can also be controllable.

It does not answer your question but hopefully highlights the issues keeping HS3 compatibility in HS4.
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      I suspect you have a number of devices created under HS3?

Devices created in HS4 (Device Version 4) must have a root (parent) device but CANNOT have any controls (on/off etc). Only the feature (child) device can provide controls.
      Devices created in HS3 (Device Version V3.2) and legacy plugins can have just a root (parent) which can be controllable. They can also have feature (child) devices which can also be controllable.

It does not answer your question but hopefully highlights the issues keeping HS3 compatibility in HS4.
      Interesting. I wasn't aware that this was only the case for user who brought their devices from HS3. My devices are Insteon and Mark now has a HS4 version. So does that mean if I delete a device and then re-add it, it wont have a root device? Even devices like motions which have several sensors on them?

I appreciate the info.

Regards,
      Tony
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
      Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
      Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

You would have to ask Mark how he constructs the devices in his PI.

Any HS4 specific PI would always create a root device and any number of feature devices depending on the requirements.

A HS3 PI running in HS4 may/may not provide a root device as this was not a requirement for that version.
        Jon

Comment

I just finally moved permanently from decades with HS3 to HS4 by setting UP a fresh Windows 11 VM to be the target system and copying the HS3 Program Files (x86) folder structure to this VM and installing HS4 to auto import all my HS3 data. NOW as I learn HS4, In DEVICE VIEW, I observe a ROOT DEVICE (in oversized font) as the "undesired" header for my many physical devices with action buttons & device controls I DO care to see when operating HomeSeer. NOTE: I've attached one example of a Cooper Aspire Five Button Keypad and its elements under HS4

How can I suppress the display of ROOT DEVICE details to only be viewable and actionable when I am specifically looking for a ROOT DEVICE's management parameters?

Dan the LAN Man
          "It's always something."
          Attached Files

Comment

As far as I'm aware, there is no facility to filter out Parent/Root devices from the list view.
            Jon

Comment

To continue this thread on root questions, will a root device be required at some point? The reason I ask is that I have a lot of virtual devices that I have created as flags, data holders, etc. Of course, none of these have a root device. Is that fine, and will it be fine in the future? Are roots required only for devices managed by a plugin?
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
                To continue this thread on root questions, will a root device be required at some point? The reason I ask is that I have a lot of virtual devices that I have created as flags, data holders, etc. Of course, none of these have a root device. Is that fine, and will it be fine in the future? Are roots required only for devices managed by a plugin?
                No, I don't think it will be mandatory in the future as this would break existing HS3 plugins. I expect over time, more and more devices would have a root device as people migrate to newer HS4 specific plugins etc. Creating a new device via the HS4 GUI also automatically creates a Root/Feature pair much to the annoyance of some.

Personally, I have never been a fan of compulsory root devices, especially for simple devices as you describe. This is why I wrote a utility to easily create HS3 devices in HS4 which does not create a root device: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...reator-for-hs4

I also created a utility to create HS4 devices which does give you the option to create only a root device which could be used for status only (no control) : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...for-homeseer-4

For the best experience in creating/modifying HS devices, also take a look at my Status Graphics Editor: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...for-homeseer-4

Jon

Comment

Working...
                X