Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advantages of upgrading fro HS4-Pi to HS4 or HS4-Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advantages of upgrading fro HS4-Pi to HS4 or HS4-Pro?

With the Raspberry Pi version no longer having the 5 plugin limit, are there any benefits of upgrading HS4-Pi to HS4 or even HS-Pro (Disregarding the HS4Touch Designer Software)

I can see a use case if the Raspberry Pi couldn't keep up with the plugins loadwise, or if running on a more solid/reliable system than the Pi hardware was a requirement.

But other than that, and the ability to switch between the Linux and Windows versions I don't see the incentive.

I wouldn't mind playing around with HS/HS-Pro on a full blown Linux or Windows box

HS4/HS4 Pro comes with a license for both Linux and Windows; therefore you could convert your PI to use HS4 Linux, giving you another license to play with under Windows
    Jon

Comment

Yes, that is a good one.
      In that case I think I'd just buy a new license so I can still use my Raspberry Pi install while tinkering with the HS4/HS4 Pro system in parallel.

Ah, but then my various purchased plugins wouldn't work on the new one :-( Unless I could upgrade the HS4-Pi license and still retain the working installation, but I imagine they'd send out new license IDs for the upgraded version

Comment

Originally posted by kimp View Post
        Yes, that is a good one.
        In that case I think I'd just buy a new license so I can still use my Raspberry Pi install while tinkering with the HS4/HS4 Pro system in parallel.

Ah, but then my various purchased plugins wouldn't work on the new one :-( Unless I could upgrade the HS4-Pi license and still retain the working installation, but I imagine they'd send out new license IDs for the upgraded version

Plugin licenses don't care about the platform. If a plugin can be installed on HS4-Pi then the same license can be used on HS4 or HS4 Pro. The only exception is if a Plugin is Windows Only, it won't work on Linux nor on a Pi, but that isn't a limitation of the license.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Plugin licenses don't care about the platform. If a plugin can be installed on HS4-Pi then the same license can be used on HS4 or HS4 Pro. The only exception is if a Plugin is Windows Only, it won't work on Linux nor on a Pi, but that isn't a limitation of the license.
          I since then realized this about the licenses. I was led to believe that wasn't the case by Homeseer sales support when I was making inquiries, but IMO they thought I was trying to run the same licenses on multiple systems and were kind of not-quite answering my questions. Eventually it got cleared up

Comment

Working...
          X