Toggle Garage Door via Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toggle Garage Door via Google

I have various z-wave and zigbee buttons throughout the house whereby pressing one of the buttons toggles (easytrigger) the garage door.

How would I accomplish the equivalent of "toggle" instead of "close the garage door" or "open the garage door".

The reason is once in a while HS thinks the door is closed when it's open. Then when I say close the garage door nothing happens, so I need to say it a second time. Toggle would solve that.

I have a z-wave dry contact relay on my garage door. It turns On for a moment and an event turns it Off. I just have a custome Routine triggered "Open/Close the garage door" and that turns this device On. A second later, the HomeSeer Event turns it off. How does your opener work with HomeSeer. OR, if your Toggle is an Event in HomeSeer, give it a voice command under the Edit Event pencil and in the Advanced Settings for the event, check the box for Google Home Discovery. Then you can say "Hey Google, Run _____" filling the blank in with whatever you put in for the voice command.
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    242 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    37 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units 1 display

Comment

If you want to toggle into a known state, you need to know the current state. You should augment with a tilt or contact closure sensor - is that a doable option for you? Lots of kit to choose from there.

Comment

Originally posted by McGarrett View Post
        If you want to toggle into a known state, you need to know the current state. You should augment with a tilt or contact closure sensor - is that a doable option for you? Lots of kit to choose from there.
        I use both a tilt and a magnetic reed switch on the floor. The reed switch indicates "Not Closed" or "Not Secure" while the tilt sensor (on the bottom panel) indicates "fully open". I tried the tilt sensor only on the top panel and the door still needed to be open almost 2 feet before it registered. We vent our garage doors late in the evening in the Summer and the "Not Secure" from the floor sensor is the feedback to tell Homeseer to close the doors. The "fully open" from the tilt sensor is what triggers the lighting to come on when someone comes home or leaves, but not when the doors are vented.

Comment

I have a Linear GD-00Z0 garage door opener that was (and still is) sold by HS. It has its own tilt sensor but HS doesn't see the value of the tilt sensor (only the opener itself does as far as I can tell) so it might think the garage door is open when in fact it's closed, or vice versa. In this case, toggle works flawlessly when pushing a button on a battery operated device. It's the same as pushing the button that came with the opener originally.

I just want to be able to say "Hey Google, toggle the garage door."

kenm and McGarrett This effort started because the "current state" may not be what HS thinks it is.

Today, for example, I said Hey Google close the garage door, the Nortek controller beeped as if it was going to close the garage door but nothing happened. Sure enough I got a text Garage door was opened. I wanted it closed! So I said it again and then garage door closed since HS and hence Google now had it flagged as open.

This doesn't happen very often, usually it's spot on but "toggle" solves it perfectly.

Comment

Maybe set up an event called "toggle garage door" where you can check what state it's in in order to run the appropriate command.
            I don't know if Google recognizes the verb 'toggle' so a virtual button for toggling may be out.
            You might need to settle for "run toggle garage door"
            Wade

sigpic

website | products | support | youtube
            I know nothing...., nothing!!!

Comment

In Google Home, you could set "Toggle the garage door" to run a Routine. By default, "Open the pod bay door" returns a HAL9000 response but I have it overwritten to open my garage door buy setting a Routine as needed for my situation. But I just turn a device on then off a second later as I use a dry contact to mimic a momentary button that way.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              242 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              37 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units 1 display

Comment

Working...
              X