Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving HS4 and new zwave stick

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Moving HS4 and new zwave stick

    Greetings everyone!
    I have a combo issue and looking for some advice, steps, process on how to tackle.
    I am building a new computer and need to move HS4 over. I've done some researching here and it seems that all I need to do is install HS4 on the new PC and then copy over the folder structure onto the new PC. That almost sounds too easy, but is there anything else involved or that I should be on the lookout for?
    Also, to make the easy more complicated, I am also going to be using a new Z-wave stick (Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+). Should I get the new stick running on the existing machine first and then move everything over or install HS4 first and then worry about the new stick. Along those lines, what is the best process to move to the new stick? I haven't really found a good thread talking about it.
    Thanks!

    #2
    Originally posted by ekaz View Post
    ...Along those lines, what is the best process to move to the new stick? I haven't really found a good thread talking about it.
    Thanks!
    What type of Z-wave interface are you currently using?

    The zwave database is stored on the zwave chip in the zwave interface. So you need to copy the zwave database from your current interface to the new zwave interface. Moving the zwave database is a separate process from copying over the the HS4 config.

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks drhtmal ! I'm currently using the regular gen5 Aeotec stick (works well) but have the stick and figure now would be the time to implement it.

      Comment


        #4
        Personally, I wouldn't change the Z-Wave interface until after you've made the system move and verify (for a few weeks) everything is working.

        As long as you are using the same OS, as in Windows vs. Linux, the install and copy over from the old machine is all that's needed.

        Comment


          #5
          I was just looking on Aeotec's site and they have software to backup/restore z-stick info, so may not be too horrible of a process (if it works. )

          Comment


            #6
            What specific sticks do you have? Aeotec Gen5 going to what? The backup/restore process from one vendor to another is not standardized. In fact, even between products from the same vendor isn't a given.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by kenm View Post
              What specific sticks do you have? Aeotec Gen5 going to what? The backup/restore process from one vendor to another is not standardized. In fact, even between products from the same vendor isn't a given.
              Aeotec Gen5 to Gen5+ but looking at Aeotec's site, looks like I could upgrade the firmware on the current stick and avoid all this.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ekaz View Post

                Aeotec Gen5 to Gen5+ but looking at Aeotec's site, looks like I could upgrade the firmware on the current stick and avoid all this.
                In any case, I'd still recommend doing the move first and getting that stable before messing around with your Z-Wave interface. Unless, of course, you don't have any holiday lights controlled with Z-Wave or you don't mind spending the holidays getting a new interface working. There's a reason why data centers have holiday change freezes.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by kenm View Post

                  In any case, I'd still recommend doing the move first and getting that stable before messing around with your Z-Wave interface. Unless, of course, you don't have any holiday lights controlled with Z-Wave or you don't mind spending the holidays getting a new interface working. There's a reason why data centers have holiday change freezes.
                  The PC will get built over the holidays but moves until after but I still run the risk of the lady of the house getting upset with me if I break it. LOL

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X