HS4 Backup Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 Backup Location

I am running HS4 Pro on W10 Pro and I cannot set any path for storing backups unless it is on the C: partition. D: or Y: will give me:

Code:
    Failed with error: Could not find a part of the path
    C:\\homeseer_backup\\ works

D:\\homeseer_backup\\ does not

Is this normal behavior for HS4?

I am running HS4 on Windows 10 and have Backup set to backup to a flash drive. Works fine.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	256
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1581032

Comment

I also use BLBackup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	254
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1581034

Comment

I noticed in your post you have double slashes and you have slashes at the end of the path. I don't know anything on the use of double slashes. Iv'e always used single.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim,
          I emailed HomeSeer about the backup path and they haven't responded. I saw a post somewhere that talked about HS backup to a network drive not working if you run HomeSeer as a service. They mentioned changing the service logon from Local System account to an actual user. This would allow the HomeSeer service access to network shares but it never worked for me.

Double slashes are used in UNC paths. For example:

\\ComputerName\SharedFolder\Resource

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(...ing_Convention

Backslashes are also used as an escape character in string literals in C, C++, C#, Python, Java etc. For example:

logfile = fopen("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\HomeSeer HS4\\Data\\Battery_Level_Log.txt", "a"​)

Windows will ignore the double slash if not needed.

Comment

It is not accepted usage that a double slash be used after a drive letter. The double slash is used before the host name in a UNC, but is not used after the host name. A standard UNC uses forward slashes and works in HS4. Mine: //ds10/Data1/public/HS4Backup

Try D:\homeseer_backup
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Yes that works but not:

Failed with error: Could not find a part of the path 'y:\Homeseer_Backup\12_16_2022-13_24_44.zip'.

Comment

Is that path valid? Does 12_16_2022-13_24_44.zip exist at y:\Homeseer_Backup?

Comment

I have tried this for a backup path:

//Galileo/zeus3/Homeseer_Backup

Which returns this:
                  Failed with error: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Galileo\zeus3\Homeseer_Backup\12_16_2022-13_46_25.zip'

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                    Is that path valid? Does 12_16_2022-13_24_44.zip exist at y:\Homeseer_Backup?
                    I was specifying the Save To location. The directory exists.

Comment

Same question as before, does that filename "12_16_2022-13_46_25.zip" exist at that location? If so I'm out of ideas, if not we need to figure out why it is not created. My first suspicion would be permissions on the destination. Are there any more clues in the HS log?

Comment

Originally posted by pmendiuk View Post

I was specifying the Save To location. The directory exists.
                        Are you specifying the filename in the Save To location? If so, it doesn't exist and will fail. In HS4 all you need to specify is a valid path, the filename is dynamically generated at the time and date of the backup.

Comment

That file doesn't exist. I see the backup files (Config.zip, Data.zip, html.zip, scripts.zip) being generated in C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\ConfigBackup but the zip file is not created or written to the specified location.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                            Are you specifying the filename in the Save To location? If so, it doesn't exist and will fail. In HS4 all you need to specify is a valid path, the filename is dynamically generated at the time and date of the backup.
                            I am just giving it a path, not a file name. The file name is in the error message.

Comment

Again, does the filename exist at that location? If not I would suspect permissions on the destination are preventing HS from writing the file.

Comment

Working...
                              X