Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just migrated from HS3 to HS4 and wish I hadn't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wpiman
    replied
    Originally posted by rschein View Post
    The ZWAVE UI is the culprit. My performance is when I try to edit the event and control a device it takes forever to bring up the controls. That the the add device does not work too swift either.. Remove seems to work.
    I am running the latest Beta version of the Z-wave plugin- so I knowingly know it isn't without issues. I vaguely remember there being a seperate Zwave UI plugin at one point but I no longer see that.

"a plugin developer, I can confirm. When the Events page opens, HS interrogates every single plugin an excessive number of times. If you have a large number of plugins, this is exponential."

That makes sense. I think i have like 120 zwave devices or so. Or at least that many device numbers..

Leave a comment:

• rschein
    replied
    The ZWAVE UI is the culprit. My performance is when I try to edit the event and control a device it takes forever to bring up the controls. That the the add device does not work too swift either.. Remove seems to work.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    As a plugin developer, I can confirm. When the Events page opens, HS interrogates every single plugin an excessive number of times. If you have a large number of plugins, this is exponential.

I reported this on the github and made references here on the forums. They really need to somehow 'cache' the information from the plugins.

Leave a comment:

• wpiman
    replied
    Originally posted by rschein View Post
    Well thanks. I've been having issues with event performance and if I disable the zwave plug-in -- no problems. It is a REAL DOG. Functionality has been replaced with a cool UI. Bad trade off.
    I don't have any performance problems with events. I have a performance problem OPENING the events page. They trigger just fine. I can even open the events page in the HS Touch app and they are immediate. It is just with the web interface. I think HS checks the events to see if they are all valid and put a red flag next to events where devices are bad. I actually just open events through the search anyways so I barely even notice it.

That slow event loading page is REALLY the only HS4 issue I have. And it is relatively new. If you had upgraded last year, you would not have had any issue I don't think. My guess is it is related to the number of Zwave devices one has. I have issues with on the Google Home end. I think it might be my Google account.

And I am not sure I get your point. The default UI isn't that cool-- it just allows you to filter stuff better. It isn't really there to control the home, it is just there to allow you to configure things. It is mostly just set and forget.

I mostly control things from events, speech (alexa and Homebridge-- Apple watch siri is awesome), and Homeseer switches (double tap, etc).

Leave a comment:

• rschein
    replied
    Well thanks. I've been having issues with event performance and if I disable the zwave plug-in -- no problems. It is a REAL DOG. Functionality has been replaced with a cool UI. Bad trade off.

Leave a comment:

• wpiman
    replied
    Originally posted by randy View Post
    I still am unhappy with certain elements of HS4, but there are others I really like. Jon’s plug-ins add versatility that eclipses HS3. The legacy pages are still very useful, but I find myself using them less and less. HS4 (and HS3) are totally reliable.

While the HS4 GUI leaves some functionality out, slowly it is improving. The legacy device manager is the only way to edit the root device if it has vestiges of HS3. The legacy event manager is the only way to filter on specific devices to easily edit specific Events when a Device is replaced. Rich indicated they might look at a device specific drop-down for the HS4 Event manager.
    This was my experience too. I upgraded from HS3 -> 4 and it was pretty seemless. I remember not liking the new interface and using the old one for a bit. Now, I barely touch the UI, and when I do, I have adapted to the HS4 one.

I do occasionally see a device not update. I was using a virtual device from MQTT the other day and noticed it.

Most of my issues with HS revolve around the plugins. I noticed my event page load slowly, but if I shut off the Z-wave plugin it is fine. Google Homes has an issue casting some files to speaker groups. Small potatoes and nothing related to the HS core. I'd like the event triggers to be better but that is something they are discussing..

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
    I'm still on HS3. It is working well for me but I really don't want to be locked into an older version. Wouldn't it be great if the upgrade from HS3 to HS4 would be to simply load the HS3 backup config into HS4? Not that simple apparently.
    It is simple, as long as you explicitly follow the directions about uninstalling HS3 but retaining settings. I was a slow adopter of HS4, but I’ve been all in for about 2 years. During my testing for over a year I upgraded my HS3 system a couple dozen times without incident. All my Events, devices, scripts and HS3 plug-ins all worked perfectly.

I still am unhappy with certain elements of HS4, but there are others I really like. Jon’s plug-ins add versatility that eclipses HS3. The legacy pages are still very useful, but I find myself using them less and less. HS4 (and HS3) are totally reliable.

While the HS4 GUI leaves some functionality out, slowly it is improving. The legacy device manager is the only way to edit the root device if it has vestiges of HS3. The legacy event manager is the only way to filter on specific devices to easily edit specific Events when a Device is replaced. Rich indicated they might look at a device specific drop-down for the HS4 Event manager.

I miss being able to open more than 1 Event at a time in HS4, but a screenshot is a simple work around. The HS4 log adding the From field makes it a little more useful. Some of the HS4 plugins are improved over the HS3 counterparts.

I also have to say that I rarely need to get to the GUI except to modify the system, it is only a pain when doing mass changes. For the rare instances where I need to manually control a device or look at a device’s value, the HS4 interface is superior on a phone.

HST has been addressing shortcomings and it keeps getting better.

Leave a comment:

• kenm
    replied
    Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
    I'm still on HS3. It is working well for me but I really don't want to be locked into an older version. Wouldn't it be great if the upgrade from HS3 to HS4 would be to simply load the HS3 backup config into HS4? Not that simple apparently.
    TBH, it's been a while since I moved to HS4. but I seem to recall it was about that easy. I shutdown HS3 and made a full .ZIP backup of the directory. I installed HS4 onto the same machine in it's own "HomeSeer HS4" directory and finally I unzipped the HS3 backup overtop of the new HS4 installation. The first time I started up I did have to re-register but that made sense since I was now running HS4. The list posted by the OP is not migration related but related to changes in the UI. The OP also admitted that his HS3 system was corrupt before he started the migration. Not a good place to start.

I don't disagree with the UI issues mentioned already but I've found Jon's utilities can clean most of those up. I also have a 35 inch ultrawide monitor so I don't see some of the screen formatting issues.

Leave a comment:

• logbuilder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NAB
    replied
    Thank you everybody for the helpful comments. I'll be installing the jon00 bits and pieces and the style sheet too. Looks like that's everything that should have been included with HS4 in the first place.

Nicholas.

Leave a comment:

• NAB
    replied
    Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    NAB no backup at all before switching from HS3 to HS4???
    Yes, backup, but as I mentioned, I appear to have been backing up a corrupt system. Also, the HS3 is years and years old and would need a load of crap cleaning out. I took a view that a fresh start would be best (that and I've moved a load of stuff over to Hue which can be managed outside of HomeSeer, so there's no great urgency in building/configuring it anyway).

Nicholas.

Leave a comment:

• racerfern
    replied
    I pretty much agree with the OP. Luckily my system isn't in development stages at this point otherwise I would be quite upset. There are workarounds with some available plug-ins but we shouldn't need workarounds. Luckily my screens have larger resolution so displays not being seen is not an issue. Someone at HS should try switching their res to 1024x768 and see how difficult things can be to see or scroll.

NAB no backup at all before switching from HS3 to HS4???

Leave a comment:

• jon00
    replied
    Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
    Also, the time, sunrise, and sunset do show on my main screen. Not sure if it's part of the style sheet, or if I found it by accident, but they're there:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	743
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1581504
    FYI, the areas you highlighted are added by Jon00 Links...

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post

Also, the time, sunrise, and sunset do show on my main screen. Not sure if it's part of the style sheet, or if I found it by accident, but they're there:
    That is Jon00’s links plug-in​​​​​​. A definite must have. Gives many options for populating the title bar and adding many drop-down menu choices.

Name:	A22D23FA-D59C-424C-AABF-29727B641739.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1581509

Leave a comment:

• jgreenberg01
    replied
    I only have 1200 devices, but totally agree about the screen's real estate usage. jon00's utilities definitely help, but I have also found changing the style sheet is also a vast improvement.

If it isn't already there, put the attached file in your HS4 HTML folder, then

Under Setup->Labs press the Change Style Sheet button and pick: style_compact_skin

Name:	image.png
Views:	743
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1581504

Leave a comment:

Working...
X