Windows HS3 to HS4 Upgrade -> Plugins not coming through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows HS3 to HS4 Upgrade -> Plugins not coming through

I purchased the HS4 upgrade in 2019 when it was on sale, before it was even released. Thought I'd wait for it to gain some maturity / stability before upgrading and next thing I know it's three years later... Anyways, I tried upgrading this weekend. I used this post as a reference: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...grade-from-hs3

It appears that Homeseer has removed the articles linked in that post, and from Googling they don't have any articles that I can find to guide the update process. I used these instructions:
    1. Install HS4 on your PC and do not install it over the HS3 installation folder.
    2. Once HS4 is installed, open it up and then close the HS4 program window so that HS4 is no longer running and cannot be connected to from find.homeseer.com. Completing the following steps while HS4 is running will cause issues.
    3. Copy the contents of the Config folder in HomeSeer HS3 to the Config folder in HomeSeer HS4. When asked, select Replace the files in the destination.
    4. Next, move onto the Data folder in HomeSeer HS3 and copy its contents into the Data folder in HomeSeer HS4. When asked, select Replace the files in the destination.
    5. Now, start the HS4 software again and register it!
    6. Finally, click on the Setup tab in the HS4 web interface. From here, click the Edit Config button.
    7. Click Switch and you will be presented with all of the .hsd files you copied over. Select the one you made a note of in step 4 of Backing up HS3. You will receive a warning that this will overwrite data, click Yes.
    ​The problem that I encountered was that at step 5, the page for HS4 won't load. It acts as though nothing is listening on that IP address / port. Therefore, I reverted back to the base HS4 installation, which does allow its page to be loaded. I had exported my configuration from HS3, and I tried importing it into HS4. This seemed to work, but none of the plugins, including z-wave, came through. I don't mind reinstalling other plugins, but I need all my zwave network information to come through.

Therefore, what's the best way nowadays to upgrade from HS3 to HS4? One of my reasons for waiting this long was I was hoping there'd be a super easy / intuitive way to upgrade by this point, but so far seems disappointing.

I am in the same boat. Having purchased HS4 (2020) and waiting on a more definitive, straight forward approach to upgrading. Unfortunately in reading the recent upgrade experiences it seems things are going backwards in that regard. This thread, and these are case(s) at point:Now that last thread is interesting, even though it is dated (last post May 2021), in that the one official HST post on how to upgrade to HS4 gets a Page Not Found. If I was a conspiracy believer I would almost think HST does not want folks upgrading. On the other hand I recently posted a Z-Wave question regarding the new Z-Net G3 being supported on HS3 and was told it was, but that I should upgrade to HS4 to get all the newest features. Now THAT is really ironic since the 2nd page to the first thread above specifically mentions Z-Wave performance issues that I do not see on HS3.

Bottom line, am I missing a creditable post somewhere that details a safe, same (dedicated HS3) machine, upgrade procedure to HS4 where all the devices, events and plugins are there and actually work without resorting to user utilities and/or work-rounds? Is that asking too much?

Thanks
    Gary

Comment

Assuming Windows…. The original beta instructions are still valid. I’ve done this a couple dozen times without issue during beta testing. This is if you want to leave it in the \HomeSeer HS3\ directory.

It is easy:
      • Shut down HS3
      • Take a full directory backup of HS3, store it in a thumb drive or other external device
      • Uninstall HS3. Do NOT remove files and settings when asked
      • Install HS4 choosing the same destination directory as your HS3 installation
      • Start HS4, launch the web interface and follow the instructions to register and set up MyHS
      • Enjoy
      If you want to change the directory to \HomeSeer​ HS4\ I believe you can rename the directory after uninstalling HS3 prior to installing HS4, but I haven’t tried it. I just left mine in the HS3 directory since it doesn’t bother my OCD.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks much Randy, Yes, Windows, sorry. I will give it a shot right after the Holidays. One question, have any idea what would be required to go back to HS3 if the HS4 install does not go in a satisfactory manner? I would assume uninstall HS4 (again not removing files and settings) and reinstall HS3, then copy the saved HS3 directory over, but not sure that covers everything?

Gary

Current Date/Time: 12/23/2022 5:07:13 PM
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
        System Uptime: 0 Days 17 Hours 4 Minutes 2 Seconds
        IP Address: 192.168.1.83
        Number of Devices: 484
        Number of Events: 127
        Available Threads: 800
        HSTouch Enabled: True
        Event Threads: 0
        Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
        Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
        Device Exec Queue: 0
        HSTouch Event Queue: 0
        Email Send Queue: 0
        Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender
        In Virtual Machine: No MFG: asustek computer inc.
        Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.63.0: BLBackup
        2.0.70.0: BLOnkyo
        1.0.4.0: BLShutdown
        30.0.0.42: RFXCOM
        3.0.6551.16959: UltraGCIR3
        3.0.7917.17646: UltraRachio3
        3.0.0.60: X10
        3.0.11.0: Z-Wave​

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
          Thanks much Randy, Yes, Windows, sorry. I will give it a shot right after the Holidays. One question, have any idea what would be required to go back to HS3 if the HS4 install does not go in a satisfactory manner? I would assume uninstall HS4 (again not removing files and settings) and reinstall HS3, then copy the saved HS3 directory over, but not sure that covers everything?

Gary
          Just copy the production \HomeSeer HS3\ folder to some backup location, delete the directory, reinstall HS3 but don’t start or register it. Copy the backup of the HS3 directory structure you took before upgrade back in place, overwriting all files. You are back on HS3.

Comment

Kbevo sounds like you and I are indeed in the same place. I initially saw the beta instructions that randy posted (thank you for posting here BTW) during my initial investigation, but tried the other two upgrade routes instead as I was afraid I'd have to go back to HS3, and indeed in both cases I had to go back. When I get back after Christmas I'll take a leap of faith and try this route, with my fingers crossed that I can easily go back if I need to. I guess I better find the installer for the version of HS3 that I'm currently running first. I'll report after giving it a try.

I also read this post: Just migrated from HS3 to HS4 and wish I hadn't

And had the same thoughts about it being time to move to a different HA platform. I watched a bunch of videos yesterday about other platforms such as Home Assistant, Hubitat, OpenHab, and they all seem to have their own issues. I guess it's a matter of choosing the least worse system, and the fact that I'm already up and running with Homeseer makes it the least worse for me, at least at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
              Just copy the production \HomeSeer HS3\ folder to some backup location, delete the directory, reinstall HS3 but don’t start or register it. Copy the backup of the HS3 directory structure you took before upgrade back in place, overwriting all files. You are back on HS3.
              Thanks again Randy, greatly appreciated. Sounds like, from other threads, after HS4 is up and running the Jon00 utilities make the UI more usable, so I guess I will need to incorporated those into the upgrade plan as well.

Gary

Comment

Jon00’s Links is indispensable. It adds a bunch of drop-down menu choices and “widgets” that allow me to populate the title bar with information like time, sunrise and sunset. Even the HomeSeer logo at the top is a link.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0F8FD827-4727-4FFA-BCDB-3E9EF1EEB7C5.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1582998

Jon has many other useful plugins such as Tiles, Device and Event viewers, etc. His plug-ins do not install through the plug-in manager, but they are quite easy to install. He provides them free. I give him donations annually for his hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by patterrr View Post
                  Kbevo sounds like you and I are indeed in the same place. I initially saw the beta instructions that randy posted (thank you for posting here BTW) during my initial investigation, but tried the other two upgrade routes instead as I was afraid I'd have to go back to HS3, and indeed in both cases I had to go back. When I get back after Christmas I'll take a leap of faith and try this route, with my fingers crossed that I can easily go back if I need to. I guess I better find the installer for the version of HS3 that I'm currently running first. I'll report after giving it a try.
                  Before I make any changes, I shut down HS and copy the entire \HomeSeer HS3\ directory structure to the server’s desktop. I just upgraded to HS4 leaving it in the HS3 directory. I did this every time I tried the HS4 upgrade and do it every time I upgrade HS or major plug-ins. This makes it easier to go back because databases are current and in a good state.

If you need to roll back from HS4 to HS3 I recommend uninstalling HS4, reinstalling HS3, but do not register, then put the backup back in place and run.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A4D29A58-02CE-4783-A61B-419A36C4694A.png Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	1583003

Comment

One more question if I could. I assume once successfully converted to HS4, that my plugins will still be the HS3 plugin, right? Do you have any guidance on upgrading to the HS4 counterparts? Or, for that matter whether to upgrade specific one or stay on the HS3 plugin?

Thanks
                    Gary

Comment

All the HS3 plug-ins work with HS4. When you upgrade to HS4 your plug-ins remain in place. If you want to update to HS4 versions, you will need to purchase and install those. Many devs offer a discount if you already purchased the HS3 version.

Comment

Thanks again, the guidance and insight is greatly appreciation.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                          If you want to change the directory to \HomeSeer​ HS4\ I believe you can rename the directory after uninstalling HS3 prior to installing HS4, but I haven’t tried it. I just left mine in the HS3 directory since it doesn’t bother my OCD.
                          I can confirm that if you want your new HS4 installation in a properly named directory you can
                          • Shut down HS3
                          • Take a full directory backup of HS3, store it in a thumb drive or other external device
                          • Uninstall HS3. Do NOT remove files and settings when asked
                          • Rename directory \HomeSeer HS3\ to \HomeSeer HS4\
                          • Install HS4 choosing the new destination directory
                          • Start HS4, launch the web interface and follow the instructions to register and set up MyHS
                          I had to fix several Events that has hard coded paths to scripts in HomeSeer HS3 and for reasons that elude me, Jon00's Links plug-in didn't work. I couldn't find any paths in the .ini files, but a reinstallation fixed it.

Comment

Randy, if this method of using the renamced HS3>HS4 folder works, then why do we need to uninstall HS3 when we have both directories? Why not just install HS4?
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                              Randy, if this method of using the renamced HS3>HS4 folder works, then why do we need to uninstall HS3 when we have both directories? Why not just install HS4?
                              In my test, I renamed HomeSeer HS3 to HomeSeer HS4, so HomeSeer HS3 no longer exists. I uninstalled HS3 prior to renaming it so all the HS3 program remnants are removed, but all scripts, config, plugins and data are retained. I honestly believe HS3 doesn’t need to be removed and that HS4 can be installed in top of it. Windows really complains if files are removed before an uninstall, so I prefer to remove applications through the control panel.

You could also probably copy the contents of HomeSeer HS3 to HomeSeer HS4, then install HS4 on top of the new directory, but I see some reason in the method HomeSeer suggested during beta trials, which I copied above in post 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X