Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple touch icons missing

HS4 Pro 4.2.16.0 on Windows 10

Periodically I get errors in my HS4 Pro log stating the following images are missing. I went back and looked at backups a few months ago as well as my final HS3 backup, but do not see them. I searched the whole HS4 directory wondering if they had been moved, but they don't seem to be in any directory.

C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\apple-touch-icon.png
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\apple-touch-icon-120x120.png
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\apple-touch-icon-120x120-precomposed.png

Looks like I wasn't alone missing these icons.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-log-from-ipad

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ngs-be-ignored

Comment

I don't think this is HSTouch related. Since it's looking in html/ I suspect it's a webpage you are displaying that's looking for those. I did a search of my digital attic and found "apple-touch-icon.png" in an HS2 backup from 2008. No other references I could find.

Here's the file I found:

Click image for larger version  Name:	apple-touch-icon.png Views:	0 Size:	1.5 KB ID:	1581970

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
        HS4 Pro 4.2.16.0 on Windows 10

Periodically I get errors in my HS4 Pro log stating the following images are missing. I went back and looked at backups a few months ago as well as my final HS3 backup, but do not see them. I searched the whole HS4 directory wondering if they had been moved, but they don't seem to be in any directory.

C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\apple-touch-icon.png
        C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png
        C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\apple-touch-icon-120x120.png
        C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\apple-touch-icon-120x120-precomposed.png
        These are icon files that [ONLY] Apple devices are/will look for. They appear in the log because an Apple device connected to the HS Web GUI and tried to use them. Since they weren't there, HS made a note in the log. Google any of the filenames for more info.

I guess an Apple device assumes every web interface in the world is or should be, an 🍎!

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

These are icon files that [ONLY] Apple devices are/will look for. They appear in the log because an Apple device connected to the HS Web GUI and tried to use them. Since they weren't there, HS made a note in the log. Google any of the filenames for more info.

I guess an Apple device assumes every web interface in the world is or should be, an 🍎!
          I use Apple devices ALL OF THE TIME and I've never seen those messages in my log.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

I use Apple devices ALL OF THE TIME and I've never seen those messages in my log.
            https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...recomposed-png

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
              I'm familiar with getting missing icon errors, but usually it's a matter of finding the missing one and putting it into the right place. I've had a few files get changed to SymLinks, so I usually go grab the correct file from a backup and the error is gone.

I did a bit more digging on these and I think I know why I get them, and others are not. I view my HS4 log on my iPhone a few times a day just to check for problems as I recently upgraded to a G3 Smartstick and the v4 Z-Wave plugin. I bookmarked the URL as a favorite and it appears Apple devices use these files the same way a favicon is used. If these existed in the /html/ directory, then the device would use icon in my bookmark list or on my home page if I pinned it there. It looks like these go all the way back to iOS 1.

Some more useful references:

https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/touch-icons

https://webhint.io/docs/user-guide/h...e-touch-icons/

It appears these can be safely ignored, but if rjh would like a touch more polish (hah... see what I did there? /dadjoke) the bookmarks and pinned icons would be able to show the HomeSeer logo.

Comment

Ah, OK. Makes sense now. I don't use Safari much and I don't place bookmarks on my desktop as favorites.

Comment

Working...
                X