Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Date is Between

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Date is Between

    We recently got an update this year that provided "time is between" trigger condition functionality, which even crossed midnight and worked correctly.

    Has anyone heard if we'll get a similar feature for dates?

    Doing a date between condition consists of two trigger conditions today, a Before and After. And it further gets confusing if the date range crosses December 31, then one needs an OR statement between the Before and After, instead of a more intuitive AND statement.

    Was just wondering if this is a roadmap item that I might have missed.

    #2
    I just wanted to do the same a couple weeks ago an realized we don't have that for dates. I am not aware of any schedule for HS to implement this which doesn't mean it doesn't exist. But I will submit a feature request now.

    Comment


      #3
      I've long done this with a virtual device and two events. On December 1st at 12:05AM I trigger an event that turns on a virtual device called "IsChristmas". On January 2nd at 12:05AM I trigger another event that turns off "IsChristmas". I have several events with a condition of "AND IF IsChristmas is On". I also have IsSummer, IsWinter, HaveGuests, and a few others I'd have to look up.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Ken, the problem is not knowing how to do it, in fact I handle my Xmas lights even easier by doing an Event Group condition of After Dec 1 OR Before Jan 2, then each Event in that group checks to see if the Group conditions are true.

        Things would just be simpler/easier to have a Date Range/Between condition.

        Comment


          #5
          I needed that for Christmas two and my workaround was as kenm mentioned. I still did put in a feature request and the more people do the more likely HST will implement it.

          Comment


            #6
            Like I said there's no need for additional virtual devices, events, etc. I know a lot of people use VDs as global variables and status indicators, but they're not always necessary. I like to keep things as clean/lean as possible:

            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	123
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1582894
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	114
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1582895

            That's it, no need for VDs, multiple events to set them, etc.​​

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by TC1 View Post

              Things would just be simpler/easier to have a Date Range/Between conditions.
              +1

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                Like I said there's no need for additional virtual devices, events, etc. I know a lot of people use VDs as global variables and status indicators, but they're not always necessary. I like to keep things as clean/lean as possible:​​
                Totally agree, and I think in this case using a virtual device is extra work unless...

                You want the date range to be user configurable (aka: non-technical spouse) via an HSTouch screen.

                That would actually be cool if you have that age-old debate of when you take down the lights, ie: Dec 31, Jan 5, or whatever floats your boat. Maybe you alternate years to keep the relative peace?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post

                  Totally agree, and I think in this case using a virtual device is extra work unless...

                  You want the date range to be user configurable (aka: non-technical spouse) via an HSTouch screen.

                  That would actually be cool if you have that age-old debate of when you take down the lights, ie: Dec 31, Jan 5, or whatever floats your boat. Maybe you alternate years to keep the relative peace?
                  Yep, that's why my date range is 11/28 to 1/3... that's not necessarily the dates I actually put the decorations up or take them down, sometimes the weekend after Thanksgiving it's rainy or miserable out... but it's no big deal because all HS would be doing is turning on and off power devices with nothing plugged into them.

                  Also agree with your point about VDs, that makes it manually selectable. I've also setup the inside light switch for my front patio porch light to be a scene controller, so a double tap up or down can manually trigger the Xmas light group of devices for on or off. I've got all the bases covered.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                    Like I said there's no need for additional virtual devices, events, etc. I know a lot of people use VDs as global variables and status indicators, but they're not always necessary. I like to keep things as clean/lean as possible:

                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	3 Size:	20.7 KB ID:	1582894
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	3 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	1582895

                    That's it, no need for VDs, multiple events to set them, etc.​​
                    In this case the group triggers become conditions?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by pistacheL0 View Post

                      In this case the group triggers become conditions?
                      They are group Conditions.

                      HS4 Pro, Windows 10 pro

                      Comment


                        #12
                        As randy said, they are Conditions.
                        Groups can have both Conditions and Actions.
                        Events within an Event Group can test the Group Condition in their Trigger section.
                        Events within an Event Group can execute the Group Actions in their Action (Then) section.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by randy View Post
                          They are group Conditions.
                          Ohh ok. I was confused by the red IF.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                            Thanks Ken, the problem is not knowing how to do it, in fact I handle my Xmas lights even easier by doing an Event Group condition of After Dec 1 OR Before Jan 2, then each Event in that group checks to see if the Group conditions are true.

                            Things would just be simpler/easier to have a Date Range/Between condition.
                            I guess because I've always avoided group actions I never really used group conditions either. Something new to explore in 2023.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X