Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any native "Device Unreachable" event trigger options for z-wave nodes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any native "Device Unreachable" event trigger options for z-wave nodes?

Outside next to our Kohler generator we have a post with a weathertight 2-gang box containing a GFCI outlet and a switch for a light on the post on the same circuit as the battery charger for the generator. The light switch is purposefully fed from the GFCI as I'd rather a fault in the light have a chance at popping the GFCI and not the breaker, as the latter would cause the battery charger to stop working.

I am considering swapping the toggle switch for a HS-WX300. One reason being I want an HS4 event that is able to report if the node becomes unreachable. If the node becomes unreachable, then there's a decent chance (a) the GFCI tripped or (b) the circuit breaker tripped, and the generator's battery charger is no longer charging the battery.

Things I've looked at so far.

Option 1:
    I didn't see anything native, short of maybe some VB script parsing the HS4 log for polling/command errors. This seems a bit complex, but if I have to then I have to.

Option 2:
    EasyTrigger has "The device's value has NOT changed for exactly..." and "The device's value has NOT been in range [x,y] for exactly..." available, but it looks like those require the device to be turned on/off. Maybe if I used the dimmer function, then I have an event flipping the value from 0% to 1% every 30 minutes, so the bulb itself appears off to the human eye. Then, have another event looking for the device not being 1% for 31 minutes and page me. I was hoping I could just flip two of the LEDs on the HS-WX300 back and forth and not change the load value.

Option 3:
    Blade's BLLogMonitor. I installed the trial, and it looks incredibly straightforward for this need and others. Enable "Monitor HomeSeer Log", then look for a string such as "Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: <devicename>" or maybe one related to polling and trigger an action. Likely well worth the $29.95.

Are there other options to consider?

Both Jon00 (I forget the plugin name) and SDJ-Health plugins will monitor the log for phases and then kickoff events. Both are free.

The bonus of SDJ-Health is that its primary design is to monitor battery devices for health, and it can also monitor mains powered devices. I use it for all my battery sensors to make sure they report in on a regular basis, and I also use it to monitor my HS log for certain error conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
      Both Jon00 (I forget the plugin name) and SDJ-Health plugins will monitor the log for phases and then kickoff events. Both are free.

The bonus of SDJ-Health is that its primary design is to monitor battery devices for health, and it can also monitor mains powered devices. I use it for all my battery sensors to make sure they report in on a regular basis, and I also use it to monitor my HS log for certain error conditions.
      Thanks for the other options. I found Jon00's option on his website, named rather appropriately Jon00 Homeseer Log Monitor for Homeseer 4.

The SDJ one I wouldn't have picked up on.

Comment

Jesus. I have a Kohler generator with a Z-wave outlet in it and I too test it to make sure the battery tender says up. It also controls some holiday lights.

I use Ultralog.
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
          Jesus. I have a Kohler generator with a Z-wave outlet in it and I too test it to make sure the battery tender says up. It also controls some holiday lights.

I use Ultralog.
          LOL... and we're both MA based.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post

LOL... and we're both MA based.
            Any you kind of write like me. I was wondering if I wasn't experiencing split personality disorder...

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

You should read this highly informative thread. It deals with Z-Wave failures and how to detect and clear them. It's HS3 based but is still relevant to HS4.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...id-error-state

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post

Any you kind of write like me. I was wondering if I wasn't experiencing split personality disorder...
                I applied to WPI back in the day, but was "wait listed" aka rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post

I applied to WPI back in the day, but was "wait listed" aka rejected.
                  lol. I got wait listed too. I think they wanted me to take some sort of achievement tests but I never did. They sent me an acceptance letter before I could even take the required tests.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Working...
                  X