How to troubleshoot lack of notification message from motion sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to troubleshoot lack of notification message from motion sensor

I have two Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 sensors. I have seen several instances where it appears HS4 does not receive the "no event" message from the sensor (not in the log). I suppose it's possible that the sensor is actually not sending the "no event" notification, but that seems unlikely (especially since there are many dozens of instances where there is always a "motion detected" and "no event" pair from the sensor). On the device page, the sensor shows "Motion Detected" even though there's been no-one in the room for hours. I have some "lights off" events that are not being being triggered because HS4 never "sees" the "no event" message (at least it's not in the log). I've seen this happen on both sensors. This problem doesn't happen regularly. However, it just doesn't feel reliable. Here are my questions:
    1. Has anyone else had this problem with this specific model of sensor?
    2. Has anyone else had this problem with any other device where it doesn't appear to be logged / seen by HS4
    3. What troubleshooting steps do you recommend?

Here are some things I've already looked into:
    a. Batteries: Both are sensors are reporting batteries are at 100% (just changed one yesterday)
    b. Firmware: There is no firmware update posted on the Zooz site for this device. I'm checking into that with Zooz, but I think current firmware is the only firmware
    c. Polling: The only child device that has any polling set for this device is the battery (polling is set at 12 hours).

Also, while it's not exactly the same issue, I thought it was worth mentioning the following (since I think it may be related). I've noticed there are times when my "lights on" events are not firing in a timely fashion. Sometimes, I'll walk in the room and see the sensors have detected motion (the LED blinks red). However, the lights don't come on quickly (or don't come on at all). Other times, it's instant. When this has occurred, I've checked the log and found that:
    a. HS4 received the "motion detected" message immediately, triggered the event and the command to turn the lights on was issued. However, there is a delay (sometimes as long as ~10 seconds) before the device actually reports back that it turned the light on
    b. HS4 doesn't appear to have received the "motion detected" message at all (just like not receiving the "no event" message which is the topic of this post)
    I don't think its the actual Z-Wave switch because I can turn it on via Alexa or the HS4 web interface and it responds quickly and quickly when controlled that way.

All this makes me wonder if the Z-Wave network is randomly dropping packets/messages or not otherwise consistently performing (which seems like a completely different issue). However, other devices and events in other parts of the house seem to be working quickly/normally. So maybe something to do with this room? However there are many always-on Z-Wave devices on this floor and directly below this floor, so I would think there would be many available routes back to the hub. There are 52 Z-Wave nodes (according to the Z-Wave Node Information report). The other alternative is that the RPi or HS4 is truly ignoring/skipping the message somehow (i.e. was too busy to process the message).

Your advice/help is appreciated.

Date/time=1/4/2023 8:55:11 AM CST
    Version=HomeSeer HS4 ZEE S2 (Upg from HS3ZS2) Edition 4.2.16.0 (Linux)
    MONO Version=Mono JIT compiler version 6.10.0.104 (tarball Fri Jun 26 19:59:14 UTC 2020)

License=Registered
    Confguration File=/usr/local/HomeSeer/Data/HomeSeerData.json
    Uptime=3 Days 7 Hours 42 Minutes 13 Seconds
    Lan IP=192.168.1.146 (HTPiHubG1)
    Device Count=294
    Event Count=137
    Plugins Enabled=LIFX:,Tuya:,HS MyQ:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:
    Modules/Threads=90 Modules, 51 Threads
    Available Threads=399
    HomeSeer Memory Used=163 Mbytes
    Plugins Installed=Govee Plugin 4.0.0.0,HS MyQ 4.0.9.0,LIFX 4.0.7.0,SDJ-Health 3.1.0.10,Tuya 4.0.37.0,Z-Wave 3.0.10.0,Z-Wave GUI 0.3.0.0
    Disk Size=29.72GB​
Working...
X