Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot remove (failing) device with Z-Wave 4.1.0.3 beta plugin - support won't help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot remove (failing) device with Z-Wave 4.1.0.3 beta plugin - support won't help

I'm running HS4 4.2.16.0 on a Zee Pi with the latest Z-Wave beta plugin (4.1.0.3).

I have a Z-wave device that is flaky/failing (Minoston smart switch) so I'm just trying to remove it from HS4. Which seems simple enough, but here's where all my problems start.

I did the usual Plugins > Z-Wave > Remove Device and put the device in Remove mode. HS4 showed that the remove "SUCCEED" and the device blinked its LED as expected to confirm it was removed. However the device itself was never removed from HS4 and is still showing up on both the Devices and the Z-Wave information screen. I tried a restart of HS4 but no change, the device is still there.

I then tried the "Remove bad node" option to see if I could "force" it but that just results in the following error:

Node 96 was not removed from any interface in the system, it may still be communicating or function aborted

Thought it might be because the device was still physically plugged in so I unplugged and repeated but got the same error. I also tried the Z-Wave > Advanced Functions > Node Test (which still lists Node 96 but with a "did not respond" status).

I retried the "Remove bad node" function which resulted in the same error as above and even tried "Remove device" again but HS4 just repeatedly prompts to put the device in Remove mode (which I had done) and then times out after 4 minutes.

So I tried HS support, opened ticket (HSCS-17571​) and they had me basically repeat the above steps (which all yielded the same results as before). But now they are telling me that because I am running a "Beta" version of the Z-wave plugin that I need to install 4.0.3.0 before they can help me any further. Which I suppose I can understand that betas are hard to support except that in Homeseer's own emails about the Z-Wave version 4 plugin release as I recall they were pretty explicit about stating that we should enable/install the Beta version of the HS4 zwave plugin! And looking at the release notes, it looks like the 4.0.3.0 plugin is several months old AND I recall having quite a few other problems with earlier versions of the 4.0.x plugin that I am reluctant to downgrade and risk further messing up my system.

I just want to get this bad device removed from my HS4 device/zwave listing with a minimal impact to anything else! Ideally I would like to figure out why "Remove bad node" doesn't work. Or alternatively does anyone have an alternate way (scripted, DB editing, or even manual JSON file hacking) that can be used to get rid of this device??

Thanks!

On the Z-Wave tab of the device you want to remove, press Test Connectivity. When it fails, immediately press it again. When it fails the second time, press Remove Bad Node. This will remove the node from the controller and the associated HS Device. It is the second failure that confirms it is not communicating, allowing its removal.
    HS4 Pro, Windows 10 pro

Comment

Thanks randy for the suggestion, it seems like the ZWave 4.x plugin buttons end up kicking me over to another page. I still tried the "Test connectivity" option and then did "Test again" when it failed but when I went back to the device zwave tab and used the Remove Bad node it still gives me the same error as before (see attached screenshot).

Unless there is some other screen/path I'm missing for the 4.x plugin to do this?

Attached Files

Comment

i have found that sometimes I have to stop/disable the Z-wave plugin and then restart/enable it and THEN do the Test/Test/Remove sequence.....

Comment

I may not be popular by saying this, but wouldn't it be more practical to post Z-Wave questions & issues in the Z-Wave forum ?

Comment

Originally posted by ecetron View Post
            i have found that sometimes I have to stop/disable the Z-wave plugin and then restart/enable it and THEN do the Test/Test/Remove sequence.....
            Thanks for the suggestion, tried that but same result as before ("function aborted") ... :-(

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
              I may not be popular by saying this, but wouldn't it be more practical to post Z-Wave questions & issues in the Z-Wave forum ?
              Fair point, I hadn't dug enough into the subtopics to realize that the Z-wave plugin had its own forum but now that I'm aware of it, I'll try there.. thanks!

Comment

Just to follow up, looks like my issue has already come up in this forum thread https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...move-bad-nodes

Thanks claude for pointing me in the right direction...

Comment

Glad you found your 'home'

Comment

Working...
                  X