All devices and events gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All devices and events gone

I found a few posts on this subject, and attempted to contact help but haven't heard back. since my house runs on HS (and doesnt work when it doesnt!) I am now in a bit of a sense of urgency and decision.. to start over, or can I save this?

I do back ups every day right before an auto reboot, but only save 3 days.... and I was on travel for 4 days (****) so the oldest back up is bad as well.

Anyone resolved this when backs ups were not available?

Date/time=1/17/2023 7:15:36 PM Central Standard Time
    Version=HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.16.0 (Windows)
    License=Registered
    Confguration File=C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HS4Data.json
    In Virtual Machine=No MFG: shuttle inc.
    Antivirus=Windows Defender
    OS=Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Work Station
    OS Version=10.0.19045
    Uptime=0 Days 17 Hours 13 Minutes 34 Seconds
    Lan IP=192.168.254.250 (HomeTrollerS)
    Device Count=0
    Event Count=0
    Modules/Threads=144 Modules, 46 Threads
    Available Threads=1023
    System Load=84 Processes, 3% Load
    Free/Total Memory=1.07 GBytes / 1.88 GBytes (57% free)
    Free/Total Virtual Memory=906.25 MBytes / 2.76 GBytes (32% free)
    HomeSeer Memory Used=23 Mbytes
    Plugins Installed=Philips Hue 4.0.24.0,RFXCOM 30.0.0.41,Sonos4 4.0.1.19,Z-Wave 3.0.10.0,Z-Wave UI 1.0.0.0​

Check your .bak files in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json to see if they have data. Do you have HS4 auto backups set up?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

That just happened to me again a few days ago. HomeSeer is very sensitive in regards to how it is being shut down. When you shut down or reboot the system exit out of HS4. If you just shut down/reboot Windows you will get a list of running apps. When you then say reboot/shutdown anyways you might end up with a corrupted database and that leads to all events and devices disappearing. Unfortunately, you are out of control of this when Windows decides itself to shut down because it wants to install updates.

I wish HS wouldn't be so sensitive to things like that but at least they now have some reasonably good backup solution. Assuming you detect the issue within 1 week you can easily go back to a backup. If you don't have backups already enabled then you should do so. See these screenshots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome_8XWiuzQdlA.png
Views:	312
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1587158

Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome_zKls5WV4Ir.png
Views:	301
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1587159

Comment

As noted I do have backup setup but i was gone 4 days and for some dumb reason I only had 3 back ups.

The .json files are all empty

I put a battery backup on the PC to prevent this but I guess my windows scheduled restarts don't close HS properly.

So i am fked, starting from ground zero again?

Comment

I have been in this situation losing everything. It really sucks. But as Rupp said, check if the files C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json\events.json.bak and C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json\devices.json.bak contain any data. The might have a size larger than 0 but with no real data in it. So you need to open the files in something like notepad to take a look at them. However, from my experience there is probably nothing in there. At the time this happened to me I had a backup service but this service doesn't allow me to back up anything in the program files folder. But if you have any backup of that folder then check there. Maybe someone else has some suggestion if none of that helps.

Comment

Windows initiated reboots is a really bad idea. Windows doesn't have a mechanism, AFAIK, to wait for HS to finish shutting down before pulling the rug out from underneath it. If you have a large system with lots of devices, events, and plugins that all need to save to disk during a shutdown, the risk is pretty high that you're going to get data corruption.

For this very reason, I have a maintenance window where I check for Windows updates, and, if needed, gracefully shutdown everything on the HS machine, apply updates, and finally reboot. I do a full backup of the "HomeSeer HS4" directory before the graceful shutdown and after the reboot. These backups are saved forever in a digital attic. (i.e NAS)
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Take a look at this post about HomeSeer backup strategies. It might be helpful.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
              X