Alexa only uses "Control Use" commands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa only uses "Control Use" commands

Is there a way to tell Alexa to use the "label" instead of the "Control Use"?
    I just added a blind to Alexa, it sees it as a switch. Weird but whatever.
    Problem is, now you have to say "turn on blinds" and "turn off blinds". Very weird.
    Google uses the labels, "hey Google, Open blinds/close blinds".

HST could do this correctly... if they chose to update their Alexa Skill. I just found out that Alexa supports things like blinds and other home automation devices that HST has never bothered to implement correctly/fully, like color temperature on smart bulbs (one of my wishes).

For blinds, read through this, they even show code on how blinds would be controlled in the Alexa skill:
    Alexa.RangeController Interface 3 | Alexa Skills Kit (amazon.com)

Comment

My wife didn't like the "turn on/off" command for non-switches either.

My workaround was to create Alexa Routines that run HS4 events. It's a less-than-elegant way to accomplish the task, but the upside is you can use whatever command words you want.

"Alexa, close landing bay doors" closes the garage doors in my house. Funny... my wife doesn't like that either

Comment

We also use routines, works very well.

Comment

Routines only work well for binary situations... where the action is predictable. what happens if you want the blind/shade open halfway? 25%? 60% You have to make a routine for every possible variation? By using the proper device definition in the Alexa Skill, like a Range Controller, you can voice command any possibility within the pre-defined/allowed range.

Routines are great for one-off "band-aids" to accomplish things (because of Homeseer's shortcomings), but they are not practical in the long-run.

Comment

There is an option in Alexa routines where you can specify complicated Alexa commands (I believe it is a "Custom Command")..

In other words, create a routine like "Alexa Shazam" where Shazam will initiate the Alexa command "Alexa ask Homeseer to Turn off drapes". Works great for those complicated and awkward Alexa phrases.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
              HST could do this correctly... if they chose to update their Alexa Skill. I just found out that Alexa supports things like blinds and other home automation devices that HST has never bothered to implement correctly/fully, like color temperature on smart bulbs (one of my wishes).

For blinds, read through this, they even show code on how blinds would be controlled in the Alexa skill:
              Alexa.RangeController Interface 3 | Alexa Skills Kit (amazon.com)
              Right now I am doing it with Alexa routines but if this can actually be directly supported then I think HS really ought to implement that. I will open a feature request for this at https://dev.homeseer.com/servicedesk...nation=portals

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

Right now I am doing it with Alexa routines but if this can actually be directly supported then I think HS really ought to implement that. I will open a feature request for this at https://dev.homeseer.com/servicedesk...nation=portals
                They need to update their entire skill... based on what I found, it seems they implemented their skill years ago and then paid no attention... Amazon is now on version 3 of their Smart Home API. There are SO many types of devices that could be supported without having to do the "Alexa, tell Homeseer to..."

I wouldn't hold my breath, you will more than likely get silence...

Comment

[QUOTE=shennecke;n1590688]

.There are SO many types of devices that could be supported without having to do the "Alexa, tell Homeseer to..."

I have never had to state that. Just say, "Alexa turn on kitchen lights."
                  That's a simple On/Off device. You didn't read the whole thread?

Comment

There's two Alexa skills, one needs "Tell Homeseer to", the other doesn't.
                    You can use them both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Demusman View Post
                      There's two Alexa skills, one needs "Tell Homeseer to", the other doesn't.
                      You can use them both at the same time.
                      Yep, already knew that. Try telling that to the non-technical folks in the household. WAF will start to decline....

Comment

[QUOTE=shennecke;n1590691]

I do it with fan speed also. "Alexa set the fan to 30%". No tell homeseer.
                        Can you do it with color temperature of a smart bulb?
                        Can you control something that doesn't fit into the 0 to 100 value range?
                        Can you ask for the status of a temperature sensor?
                        Can you ask for the status of a virtual device?

Comment

[QUOTE=shennecke;n1590699]

Ahh the other Homeseer skill. I'll have to investigate, but I don't do any of those you listed.
                          The reality is that the HS Skill is limited to just controlling simple On/Off and 0 - 100 Dim devices. It also supports setting color on smart bulbs. That's it.

When you look at the latest Alexa API, we could be controlling and getting status of so many more different types of devices, just by using natural language commands:

Smart Home Skill APIs | Alexa Skills Kit (amazon.com)

Comment

I got a response from HS. Apparently there is some internal report about this. So if you want to provide further input I suggest you submit a ticket for a feature request. Companies always prioritize and what causes them issues, what they think they should do and on USER INPUT (and the number of such requests matters).

Comment

Working...
                            X