This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Colored Icons or Gray Icons?

Hey gang... we're considering some small UI changes and would like a little input. In a related post, one user posted some css changes to try, one of which was to color the icons in the events section of the program. Such a change would not be difficult to implement, and anyone can actually do this now using the custom.css file in the html folder of the program... but we're wondering if it makes any sense to build it out as a standard feature.

So... please take a moment and VOTE BELOW, and please leave us a comment too. Thanks!

Current Default views with gray icons:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	220.0 KB ID:	1593180​

Views with colored icons:​

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	217.0 KB ID:	1593181​
    I prefer default gray icons (post reason below)
    9.20%
    I prefer colored icons (post reason below)
    81.61%
    Makes no difference to me (post reason below)
    9.20%

The poll is expired.

πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Colored icons provide better readability, to my eyes.
    -Wade

Comment

I think that the colored icons are easier to read.

Comment

Colored icons are much easier to read at a glance for an old fart like me!

Comment

Doesn't matter. Keep it simple. Make it work. Eye candy is just that, candy.

Comment

Currently using the custom.css to color the icons. I really like the colored icons as it makes notes & disabled events really stand out.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by 45rogue View Post
              Doesn't matter. Keep it simple. Make it work. Eye candy is just that, candy.
              ah.... forgot that possible answer so I added it. Sorry if you already voted!
              πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Color is always good for catching your eye unless of course you're color blind.

In addition to color icons, I'd like to see some "theming" support for the web UI. A dark theme with color icons seems like a good combo.
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Colored, the brain matches the color with some kind of purpose in my eyes.

Comment

modern UI design standards suggest all one color. I don't necessarily agree. I think the right answer is somewhere in the middle. Color can be used when it has a clear meaning and is standard across the app, and to common practice. The examples shown in the colored example are all good choices. I think red for delete and other negative actions is ok. Yellow or amber for disabled or warning actions is ok. Green is good for positive actions. Neutral stuff should be neutral colored. This includes stuff like the arrows and add. I could go either way on the blue edit button. I don't think it needs to be colored, but because it's the most common action, the blue is a good hint of that.
                    I would add though that the colors could be a bit more understated from what's in the screenshot. The colors shown above are a bit too in-your-face. More muted colors would look more modern.
                    Also, I don't like multicolor icons. (like the disabled icon example) They tend to look outdated and childish. Single color is both modern and useful.
                    One place in those screenshots that could use improvement is the alignment of the icons. The position of the icon is just as important as the image and color. These should be in a columnar layout. All edit buttons should align, all up arrows should align, etc... If a particular function isn't relevant for a given line, that column should be blank for that line, leaving the void where the icon would have been..

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      One place in those screenshots that could use improvement is the alignment of the icons. The position of the icon is just as important as the image and color. These should be in a columnar layout. All edit buttons should align, all up arrows should align, etc... If a particular function isn't relevant for a given line, that column should be blank for that line, leaving the void where the icon would have been..
                      Very much agree.
                      -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                        Color is always good for catching your eye unless of course you're color blind.

In addition to color icons, I'd like to see some "theming" support for the web UI. A dark theme with color icons seems like a good combo.
                        +1 and 1 !

Comment

I’m in the doesn’t matter camp. Either one is fine with me.
                          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

Very much agree.
                            I agree as well, the icons should align just as they do for features.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	562
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1593212​
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Gray icons. Looks more professional. Also colorblind people will not see the colored icons (colors to prevent red, green, blue and yellow).

Please keep in mind that companies as Apple are using grey shaded icons. There should be a reason for that.

---
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X