Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS4 Release Announcements 4.2.18.3 is available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS has always been case agnostic on Event names. I wouldn’t ever want two identically named Events (with different case usage) either. Perhaps HS could handle the renaming of an Event better, but case sensitivity would present some problems.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Agree with Randy in that HS4 Event names are fine as-is being case-insensitive. What could possibly be the advantage of them being case-sensitive?

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
        Agree with Randy in that HS4 Event names are fine as-is being case-insensitive. What could possibly be the advantage of them being case-sensitive?
        Totally agree. Just think what would break if this was implemented.
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
          HS has always been case agnostic on Event names. I wouldn’t ever want two identically named Events (except case usage) either. Perhaps HS could handle the renaming of an Event better, but case sensitivity would present some problems.
          It is not that I want two event with identical names. I did want to correct the name. By this behavior additional steps are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

It is not that I want two event with identical names. I did want to correct the name. By this behavior additional steps are needed.
            One extra step, I've done it before.

Put an extra character at end of name and save. <---- extra step.
            Edit name again removing character and making case change, save. Done.

Comment

rjh

Device names are not case sensitive.

Step 1 edit event

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	939
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1598374

Step 2: Edit Event Name (control to Control)

Views:	908
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1598375
              Step 3: Press Save

The following message will be displayed.​

Views:	918
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1598376
              ---
              John​​
              This is also not consistent with renaming event groups.

In case you rename the group and enter an identical name with as only change a lowercase letter changed to identical uppercase letter no warning will be shown, and the event group will not be renamed.

---
              John

Comment

One extra step, I've done it before.

Put an extra character at end of name and save. <---- extra step.
                Edit name again removing character and making case change, save. Done.
                I have also done it. but expected a more user friendly experience.

---
                John

Comment

Agreed. In your post on this you wrote “Device names are not case sensitive” (even though it was clearly an Event) which prompted my response. When I realized you were only renaming an existing Event I wrote “Perhaps HS could handle the renaming of an Event better”. There is no reason renaming an event would be an error, unless you are naming it the same as some other Event, not the one you are renaming.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I have also done it. but expected a more user friendly experience.

---
                    John
                    I don't disagree, but your original statement said "By this behavior additional steps are needed...." implying something more tedious than one step. Ideally it should work better, but one step every now and then (unless you're constantly changing the case on your words) is not going to make-or-break the current product, IMO.

Comment

I don't disagree, but your original statement said "By this behavior additional steps are needed...." implying something more tedious than one step. Ideally it should work better, but one step every now and then (unless you're constantly changing the case on your words) is not going to make-or-break the current product, IMO.
                      His original statement implied exactly what he said,"additional steps are needed”.
                      nothing more… nothing less..

Comment

rjh

I created the event. At time of event creation the control status were respectively On and Off

Then I updated the control status to respectively Open and Closed.

I noticed that the event did not longer work and when checking the event the control actions were empty.

The issue is that control actions of an event will not be updated in case the control status of a device is updated.

Hope this explains the issue.
                        ---
                        John

Hi John, I noticed this also inversion HS 4.2.16.0. So this not new to version 4.2.18.3
                        regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul32 View Post
                          Hi John, I noticed this also inversion HS 4.2.16.0. So this not new to version 4.2.18.3
                          regards Paul
                          Hi Paul,

Despite the fact that it is maybe not new. It would be good to resolve this.

And I think this is the moment as HS is working on the event engine.

---
                          John

Comment

Hi Paul,

Despite the fact that it is maybe not new. It would be good to resolve this.

And I think this is the moment as HS is working on the event engine.

---
                            John
                            Sure it is very good that this should be resolved because the events are not marked that they are broken!!

Comment

Work around for event name changes and CAPS -- just add a character to the name, save it, then re-edit with the desired name. This caps issue has been out there a while.

As far as 18.3 -- been in production for 3 days. All is well. Upgrade from 17.0 was very smooth - no issues in the upgrade process. Events are working fine. All devices are appearing and working well. Backups are working fine. I've yet to find a use for the conditional processing enhancements, but still "noodling" the feature for future use. Am pleased with this upgrade so far.

Comment

rjh

Device names are not case sensitive.

Step 1 edit event

Views:	939
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1598374

Step 2: Edit Event Name (control to Control)

Views:	908
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1598375
                                Step 3: Press Save

The following message will be displayed.​

Views:	918
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1598376
                                ---
                                John​​
                                Old bug. I reported this also a while ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X