PRO-100 vs. Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PRO-100 vs. Stargate

Is the pro-100 available through dealers only? Also what are the benefits, if any over the JDS Stargate? Is there a FAQ for the pro-100?

Sorry for the newbie questions but could not find much on my own.

Thanks

B Rod,
    The pro-100 is only available to dealers at the moment. Mark can answer any of your pro-100 questions that you may have but I can tell you that the pro-100 is a far more expandable product simply because it can be upgraded by simply adding new HomeSeer plugins and or software.

mark@homeseer.com
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Comparing the Pro-100 to Stargate is kind of like comparing an engine to a transmission. Their purposes are somewhat related, but they operate, and are used, very differently.

To my understanding, the Pro-100 is basically a stable mini-PC that runs HS - I believe it is intended as a professional's alternative to the usual PC that we use to run HS. As with a PC, the Pro-100 must be connected (e.g., via serial, USB connector) to some additional 3rd party hardware in order to switch your lights, flip a relay, receive an analog signal, etc.

Stagate has limited computing power on it's own. Rather, it is used as one of those third party hardware interfaces for HS. Stargate has built-in relays, digital and analog inputs, X-10, IR, variables, flags, HVAC support, etc - as well as it's own programming. You connect Stargate to your HS PC and use HS to create a pretty useful HA combo. One of the nice things about Stargate is that since it can run it's own internal program, it can take over some of your home automation in case either HS or the PC crash.

Hope that helps.

Mark (not the Mark at HomeSeer)
      Mark

Hometroller S6 w/ HS3Pro, Way2Call
      BLAB8SS, BL Backup, Easy Trigger, HSTouch, Open Sprinkler, SONOS, Ultra1Wire3, UltraM1G, WeatherXML, Z-Wave

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It's much clearer now. It's quite overwelming when you're just starting out. I currently use a powerlinc USB controller to run various lights around the house. I came across the Homeseer site and am amazed at the possibilities! I would like to integrate a security panel with video monitoring with my lighting as well as run my sprinkler system. Simple stuff for most of you I'm sure. Any recommendations for security panels, video survelance & sprinkler control?

I am well versed with PC's and comfortable around electronics but brand new to HA.

Comment

Originally posted by B_Rod
          I came across the Homeseer site and am amazed at the possibilities!
          You will love HomeSeer. Even after a few years, I'm still amazed at what can be done.

Originally posted by B_Rod
          Any recommendations for security panels, video survelance & sprinkler control?
          The most popular security panels to interface with HS are Caddx NX8 and the new Elk M1Gold. You will find forums here for each. I use Caddx, but I interface with Stargate rather than HS. Video surveillance is done in so many ways - maybe the simplest are the WebCam or Hauppaugge plugins - again check out the forums. I don't do sprinkler control yet, but again there is a Rain8net plugin; I will probably use Stargate.

Have fun.

Mark
          Mark

Hometroller S6 w/ HS3Pro, Way2Call
          BLAB8SS, BL Backup, Easy Trigger, HSTouch, Open Sprinkler, SONOS, Ultra1Wire3, UltraM1G, WeatherXML, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
          X