I got an offer to buy an old PRO-100...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an offer to buy an old PRO-100...

A buddy of mine got married recently and of course has no money to buy any new toys. He offered to sell me his PRO-100. He says that's all the label says(no "S" suffix). I can't find a spec sheet for a PRO-100 on-line. I'd like to compare it to my S4. I'd also like to know what's a fair price to offer him.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Robert

$100 - $200?

or 75% for the software (used XPE (license) & HS2 (license)) and 25% for the hardware. Play with your numbers. (only run HS2 on it).

Thinking earliest versions of the Homeseer Hometrollers used a Via Epia with max of 1Gb of memory (which was what I used for my first car PCs many many years ago).

That said can you purchase and transfer the HS2 software to you? The software licensing is worth way more than the hardware in the box.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      $100 - $200?

or 75% for the software (used XPE (license) & HS2 (license)) and 25% for the hardware. Play with your numbers. (only run HS2 on it).

Thinking earliest versions of the Homeseer Hometrollers used a Via Epia with max of 1Gb of memory (which was what I used for my first car PCs many many years ago).

That said can you purchase and transfer the HS2 software to you? The software licensing is worth way more than the hardware in the box.
      Thanks Pete. I was thinking that if it's too old to run HS3 on, I could use it to interface with nearby cameras. I have 4 webcams running on a power hungry pc which could be moved to the pro-100. I could also reduce the number of dropbox folders on the S4.

Comment

Yup my first wireless camera web server ran on a network appliance called the Netier. (WYSE terminal)

I overclocked the AMD CPU in it to 700Mhz. Thinking though it had only 512Mb of memory. That said I connected it to a USB connected camera and first generation of 802.11X wireless. I also tested connecting the built in NIC to a first generation wireless repeater which also worked fine.

I put it inside of the backyard shed and pointed the camera out a window of the shed to the back yard and house.

It worked fine streaming SD via a little web camera server at the time.

You could make the the box a camera server for SD low res cams. One would be OK. Not sure if you could do this with 4 cameras.
        Attached Files
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yup my first wireless camera web server ran on a network appliance called the Netier. (WYSE terminal)

I overclocked the AMD CPU in it to 700Mhz. Thinking though it had only 512Mb of memory. That said I connected it to a USB connected camera and first generation of 802.11X wireless. I also tested connecting the built in NIC to a first generation wireless repeater which also worked fine.

I put it inside of the backyard shed and pointed the camera out a window of the shed to the back yard and house.

It worked fine streaming SD via a little web camera server at the time.

You could make the the box a camera server for SD low res cams. One would be OK. Not sure if you could do this with 4 cameras.
          The way I do it now, I don't stream all 4 videos at once. In HSTouch I choose which one to view. For my alarm system, HS commands each one in turn to take pics & videos. I do set one up with Yawcam in motion detect mode. Anyway, I guess I'll make him an offer.

Thanks for your input Pete

Comment

Not an issue.

This was playing with this stuff a long time ago. (early days of cams, computers and wireless stuff).

I am curious how you integrate Homeseer to Yawcam.

You use Yawcam to connect to 4 IP SD or HD cams; eh?

Then use Yawcam for motion detection via what it sees in the view?

Then save the motion detection video with Yawcam on same computer?
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Not an issue.

This was playing with this stuff a long time ago. (early days of cams, computers and wireless stuff).

I am curious how you integrate Homeseer to Yawcam.

You use Yawcam to connect to 4 IP SD or HD cams; eh?

Then use Yawcam for motion detection via what it sees in the view?

Then save the motion detection video with Yawcam on same computer?
              The webcams are Logitech 250s and 600s. I use Webcam7 to connect to 2 of the cams and run 2 instances of Yawcam for the other 2. You are correct that I set Yawcam for motion detect and save those pics to a dropbox folder. Videos are taken from a command from HS, as well are additional pics and are also saved to a db folder.
              To command these things I wrote an autoit program that runs on the host pc and listens for commands coming through the network.
              Although the free version of Webcam7 can only interface with 2 cams and was able to write an autoit routine to re-configure Webcam7 to point to different cams. That worked quite well but if any other video device is added to the pc (such as the HDMI capture card I recently installed) it reorders the menu of input devices. Add to that that sometimes when that pc boots Windows doesn't see all of the video devices. So I can never count on the device list being static (predictable).
              That's why I run a 2nd instance of Yawcam, which was a pain to accomplish.
              The autoit thing is cool because I run versions of it on other platforms like an really old laptop that is pointed at my cat's perch. So that laptop's mission in life is to just run WebcamXP and obey commands sent to it over the network.

TMI?

Robert

Comment

Neato stuff Robert!

It is the heart and soul of a pioneering automation engineer I see when you can make something work like this.....before the need there is always the want and it does provide that home automation warm and fuzzy of having done it yourself.

Those old laptops do come in handy for stuff like this....I have one old IBM Thinkpad sitting on a shelf in a closet some 2000 miles away just doing weather. It is a bit buried these days and it just running fine....
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Neato stuff Robert!

It is the heart and soul of a pioneering automation engineer I see when you can make something work like this.....before the need there is always the want and it does provide that home automation warm and fuzzy of having done it yourself.

Those old laptops do come in handy for stuff like this....I have one old IBM Thinkpad sitting on a shelf in a closet some 2000 miles away just doing weather. It is a bit buried these days and it just running fine....
                  It is pretty cool but I'm just standing on the shoulders of giants, as it were. The giants being people like you and Mr Happy & Rupp and and and and... who post cool stuff that I can tailor to my needs. Likewise, I am more than happy to post anything cool that I come up with if it helps someone.

Robert

Comment

Personally I think that over the years its been more than just a few folks publishing their stuff (whether free or paid plugins or scripts or methodologies of automation using Homeseer).

Heck many times it harder to document some new Homeseer automation feature than to just do it.

IE: playing with LinuxSAPI this weekend. I have no clue how I got to it going and will break it a few times before I actually figure out what I doing.

Some of the concerns of providing personally created stuff for Homeseer to the rest of the Homeseer users relate to support whether its a paid or free application.

The base of Homeseer was written for those folks that like to be able to automate anything using just about anything.

Many folks just don't write about their stuff and mostly just automate whatever with Homeseer and it works for them whether that is connecting to some sort of hardware or scripting something or writing new console interfaces.

There are folks here that only have learned about automation with Homeseer and only learn from the posts on this forum and tinkering with Homeseer.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Personally I think that over the years its been more than just you, Mr. happy and Rupp that have contributed much to Homeseer.

Some of the concerns of providing personally created stuff for Homeseer to the rest of the Homeseer users relate to support whether its a paid or free application.

The base of Homeseer was written for those folks that like to be able to automate anything using just about anything.

Many folks just don't write about their stuff and mostly just automate whatever with Homeseer and it works for them whether that is connecting to some sort of hardware or scripting something or writing new console interfaces.
                      There might be an intimidation factor. I know that when I was new to this, I hesitated to post any of my projects. I felt that whoever would read the post might find it, well... crude, I guess is the word. So I decided to hang back and absorb until I got the lay of the land.

Comment

Well, Pete. I finally had some time to play a little with this pro-100. I didn't realize that it only has an 8gb SSD and half is used up. There's not even enough room left on the C slice to install Microsoft Framework.

So I need to consider if I want to throw more money at it and increase the SSD size then maybe trash XPe and install W7 on it. I've never messed with SSDs before. Do they all have the same form/fit/function? So it's just a matter of choosing a drive size that I am will to pay for?

Comment

Depends on what you want to do with it. I have run W7/W8 on a 16Gb SSD. I am thinking the Pro-100 is going to run a bit slow. You can also run Linux on it. I have been fitting these inside of my Table top Jogglers. (16/32 Gb SSDs). I have substituted one for an arm cpu running with a CF card; works fine.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Depends on what you want to do with it. I have run W7/W8 on a 16Gb SSD. I am thinking the Pro-100 is going to run a bit slow. You can also run Linux on it. I have been fitting these inside of my Table top Jogglers. (16/32 Gb SSDs). I have substituted one for an arm cpu running with a CF card; works fine.
                            I wanted it to dedicate it to video interface and attach 4 webcams to it. I can't test that because Netcam Studio, which was recommended here on the board, requires Microsoft Framework but the Windows slice has ~400mb free which is not enough to install it. The installation did not give me the option to install it elsewhere. So I am scratching my head.
                            Also, since my Hometroller S4 is too under powered to run HS3 quickly, I am considering building its replacement. If I do that, the S4 could be the video server. So did I waste money on the pro-100? I wonder if its chassis could be used to house the S4 replacement guts.
                            I am considering an Atom processor. What do you think?

Comment

I am currently waiting here for delivery of a Hometroller.

I did do video with my Epia VIA carpcs a while ago and still have a couple of new Epia Via boards around. (new in boxes).

That said I can't say anything until I tear it apart.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X