Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another new guy finally coming from Vera

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another new guy finally coming from Vera

    Hi, I'm Matt.... And I've been living with Vera since the Vera 3 was the best they had....

    Frankly, my Vera 3 still runs quite well. It mostly behaves, runs quickly for most part and rarely misses anything. That's probably why I've stayed so long. I've been reading on homeseer for over a year now contemplating coming this way.... And I've finally done it. I bought HS3 and a couple plugins on the sale.

    The main reasons for my finally jumping ship?

    Central scenes is a big one. I want the ability to do a double tap on my dimmer and get a different function. Vera has yet to implement this.

    The scene conditions available with easy trigger seems to be as versatile as PLEG but in an easier format. PLEG has been a nightmare to get to do what i want other than some simple stuff.

    Speed in complex scenes. When I run stuff that touches a lot on the house, Vera started skipping things or bogging down and it was inconsistent as to what it would do at that point. It's not like i was doing commands to 60 devices at once or anything.... Vera just didn't have the horsepower to do it.


    I won't have time to begin the shift for at least a month and a half. In that time i need to try to plan out my method of attack and the way I'll be duplicating a lot of functions. A major hurdle for me will be automatic home and away modes like I've been enjoying... And getting the beacon I've planted in my parents car to work as an arrival sensor consistently as i was working on with Vera.
    Last edited by Priest; June 3rd, 2018, 11:15 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Priest View Post
    Hi, I'm Matt.... And I've been living with Vera the Vera 3 was the best they had....

    Frankly, my Vera 3 still runs quite well. It mostly behaves, runs quickly for most take and rarely misses anything. That's probably why I've stayed so long. I've been reading on homeseer for over a year now contemplating coming this way.... And I've finally done it. I bought HS3 and a couple plugins on the sale.

    The main reasons for my finally jumping ship?

    Central scenes is a big one. I want the ability to do a double tap on my dimmer and get a different function. Vera has yet to implement this.

    The scene conditions available with easy trigger seems to be as person as PLEG but in an easier format. PLEG has been a nightmare to get to do what i want other than some simple stuff.

    Speed in complex scenes. When I run stuff that touches a lot on the house, Vera started shipping things or bogging down and it was inconsistent as to what it would do at that point. It's not like i was doing commands to 60 devices at once or anything.... Vera just didn't have the horsepower to do it.


    I won't have time to begin the shift for at least a month and a half. In that time i need to try to plan out my method of attack and the way I'll be duplicating a lot of functions. A major hurdle for me will be automatic home and away modes like I've been enjoying... And getting the beacon I've planted in my parents car to work as an arrival sensor consistently as i was working on with Vera.
    Welcome! There's several Vera refugees here myself included!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Priest View Post
      Hi, I'm Matt.... And I've been living with Vera the Vera 3 was the best they had....

      I won't have time to begin the shift for at least a month and a half. In that time i need to try to plan out my method of attack and the way I'll be duplicating a lot of functions.
      G'day Matt, I'm in the same boat... well ship (actually the Titanic - split in half, half underwater, half bobbing up and down ready to go under, and now with the latest firmware is also burning on fire!).

      I'm mostly convinced, enough that like you I took a punt last week and bought a license in the sale, but it'll be a few more weeks before I've finished my testing and can even contemplate taking my system offline and doing the big migration.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
        G'day Matt, I'm in the same boat... well ship (actually the Titanic - split in half, half underwater, half bobbing up and down ready to go under, and now with the latest firmware is also burning on fire!).

        I'm mostly convinced, enough that like you I took a punt last week and bought a license in the sale, but it'll be a few more weeks before I've finished my testing and can even contemplate taking my system offline and doing the big migration.
        By that time I might have my Vera Integration plugin ready to go....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
          By that time I might have my Vera Integration plugin ready to go....
          Wait what?! Let me go look for a thread on this, that WILL solve a dilemma I don't even have a solution for yet...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
            Wait what?! Let me go look for a thread on this, that WILL solve a dilemma I don't even have a solution for yet...
            https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...35&postcount=1

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Priest View Post
              Hi, I'm Matt.... And I've been living with Vera the Vera 3 was the best they had....

              Frankly, my Vera 3 still runs quite well. It mostly behaves, runs quickly for most take and rarely misses anything. That's probably why I've stayed so long. I've been reading on homeseer for over a year now contemplating coming this way.... And I've finally done it. I bought HS3 and a couple plugins on the sale.

              The main reasons for my finally jumping ship?

              Central scenes is a big one. I want the ability to do a double tap on my dimmer and get a different function. Vera has yet to implement this.

              The scene conditions available with easy trigger seems to be as person as PLEG but in an easier format. PLEG has been a nightmare to get to do what i want other than some simple stuff.

              Speed in complex scenes. When I run stuff that touches a lot on the house, Vera started shipping things or bogging down and it was inconsistent as to what it would do at that point. It's not like i was doing commands to 60 devices at once or anything.... Vera just didn't have the horsepower to do it.


              I won't have time to begin the shift for at least a month and a half. In that time i need to try to plan out my method of attack and the way I'll be duplicating a lot of functions. A major hurdle for me will be automatic home and away modes like I've been enjoying... And getting the beacon I've planted in my parents car to work as an arrival sensor consistently as i was working on with Vera.
              What are you using for a beacon on the vehicle for an arrival sensor? I have been thing about implementing some actions when I leave (turn off lights, let garage down, etc) and arrive.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ehinkle27 View Post
                What are you using for a beacon on the vehicle for an arrival sensor? I have been thing about implementing some actions when I leave (turn off lights, let garage down, etc) and arrive.
                It's actually an automation override. My while house is used differently when my parents are in town and I've made a virtual switch that turns off one PLEG and turns on another. This leaves some core automation and certain remote control scenes in tact... But bypasses most of the other things. I've never competed the beacon implementation because the device i was using to sense the beacon was acting a bit wonky. When i decided i probably was moving on from Vera, i stopped working on it.

                The eventual plan will be to have a USB beacon in each vehicle and the current type on geofencing we have and to have the house know who's home or not and which vehicle is home or not as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm using this usb beacon. I have a couple of their dots as well.

                  https://store.radiusnetworks.com/products/radbeacon-usb-2

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    here.

                    And the Event Clinic threads may give you a better understanding of the nuances of the HS Event Engine here.
                    Randy Prade
                    Aurora, CO
                    Prades.net

                    PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have an Android, my wife is on iPhone. The Vera app has worked flawlessly to handle geofencing with my phone, and until recently the same for hers. We have been the exception to the rule in that though as most Vera users cannot say the same.

                      I'll be doing a lot of looking into what you have posted about to figure out how to get that to work in HS3.

                      It sounds like you have a setup like what i have had and like what I'm rebuilding toward.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Priest View Post
                        I have an Android, my wife is on iPhone. The Vera app has worked flawlessly to handle geofencing with my phone, and until recently the same for hers. We have been the exception to the rule in that though as most Vera users cannot say the same.

                        I'll be doing a lot of looking into what you have posted about to figure out how to get that to work in HS3.

                        It sounds like you have a setup like what i have had and like what I'm rebuilding toward.
                        There are Android apps supported by PHLocation as well, I think one of them supports iBeacons.
                        Randy Prade
                        Aurora, CO
                        Prades.net

                        PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Priest View Post
                          I'm using this usb beacon. I have a couple of their dots as well.

                          https://store.radiusnetworks.com/pro...adbeacon-usb-2
                          I need to find another more reliable one than these. I've had 4 fail now. the 2nd two were replacements from Radius for the first two.
                          cheeryfool

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My testing time has been so sporadic that I've not gotten them to the failure point.... Good to know i might

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              How are you using them anyway?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X