Homeseer Setup Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeseer Setup Book?

Ok, I admit it. I like manuals. Especially paper books, being such an old techie. For Stargate, there was a fantastic book that explained everything from basic concepts to step-by-step examples of *everything* (most of which I suspect can also be done with HS3 and Hometroller).
    Anyone have a recommendation of a book that might help me, a very new user just beginning to get everything migrated/replaced with new tech, to formulate a "best practices" methodology for getting the whole shebang designed, implemented, set up, best choices made, fewest "go-back-3-steps-and-start-over", etc. ?
    Searching up here on the forums is certainly very helpful, but it is piece-meal and a little hard to reference with a screwdriver in one hand...

Unfortunately there aren't any manuals but there are the help files, a few youTube videos, and this message board. I would recommend just asking away and one of us will assist you the best we can.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

The forum here will be your best knowledge base source.

Have a look at the posts and stickies over here posted over the last 20 years or so...

HomeSeer Help

Here pretty much self taught relating to computers and electronics over the years (since the 1960's).
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Okay....
        I have a three story home, and about 25 X-10 switches sprinkled throughout. Banks of 4-switch PCS bars in out-of-the-way junction boxes controlled by digital keypads on cat5 daisychained into a utility closet.
        As a test on Z-wave coverage in the houe, I've put a single switch dead center on third floor which HSV readily found/enrolled, and another directly below it about 30 feet, in garage/ground floor, and it only intermittently shows up in HSV so I know I need more nodes (?) in-between.

So it appears I need to jury-rig a single set of wires near my HT6 / ZNet with a regular wall plug into a 110v outlet, and one switch at a time, wire in each new Zwave dimming switch where the signal is strongest, enroll it & label its future installed location, and then disperse/go install them in the garage, 2nd floor, 3rd floor, patio, etc. after that? I have exterior concrete and steel walls, though the floors and interior walls are MOSTLY drywall and stickbuilt, and I am counting on the mesh effect to get adequate volume of coverage.

Also, I am reading that "associations" are an important way to group together for actions, and I am looking for more posts explaining the advantages.

As an analogy, I was able to set up my house on X-10, and have everything outside on one letter, all the master bedroom another letter, and be able to issue a single command on the powerline such as A-OFF, instead of A-1 Off, A-2 Off, A-3 Off, A-4 Off, B-7 Off, etc. This made for more prompt results for keypad strokes and commands I issue from any telephone in the house such as *LR# to turn all living room lights on, *TV# to set up theater mode lighting. So I am interested in setting up Z-Wave with similar efficiencies.
        If naming conventions will allow me to eventually tell Alexa "Turn On Exterior Lights" and easily have any switches I have named/categorized (associated?) as exterior be included in that single command, without having to set up specific "scenes", I'd druther do that for ease of maintenance and evolution. Likewise if I end up putting simple Android phablet-sized pads in place of the digital keypads (which have been ROCK solid for decades), and providing power to them over the cat5 in the junction boxes(no 110v), devising menus where one or two touches are all that's required to likewise turn all exterior lights on/off/50%, these are some of my notions.
        On the other hand if I MUST define scenes as events, and it doesn't matter what conventions I use for identifying each switch as a node, thatud be good to know now as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          The forum here will be your best knowledge base source.

Have a look at the posts and stickies over here posted over the last 20 years or so....
          Yep, I have been reading through the stickies, and doing searches on particular key words and terms and reading through the threads. Very interesting, but thread creep often strikes and I find I'm reading some rather arcane (but interesting<G>) off-topic stuff. Not BAD, but I'm on a mission right now... And thanks, Y'all....
          If anyone wants advanced tips/help on olympic archery, paralympic archery, or pharmacy-related stuff, I'm your go-to guy, just PM me.

Comment

I will volunteer that the very first thing I set up were some Acteon water sensors and a Dome ball valve piggyback actuator/controller. My neighbor had a third-floor icemaker hose on the back of fridge rupture and run for several days, until I noticed it coming out under his garage. MAJOR PITA for him (he was away from house for weeks, if I hadn't noticed.....<G>). The reception on the Dome seems to be enhanced, as znet sees it easily/reliably. Anyway, I no longer have to worry about that particular disaster striking...Though it occurs to me that I need to actually TEST by water the entire setup and make sure I get the email I think I am supposed to get.... But accessing HSV while the kitchen sink is running, turning the Dome off, and watching the water stop flowing is kinda enjoyable. I've long had a waterbug controlling a ball valve into the hot water heater, but the coverage now is much more effective.

Comment

As a test on Z-wave coverage in the houe, I've put a single switch dead center on third floor which HSV readily found/enrolled, and another directly below it about 30 feet, in garage/ground floor, and it only intermittently shows up in HSV so I know I need more nodes (?) in-between.

Yeah here utilize X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee and goofing around now with WiFi Mosquitto / Arduino / Sonoff stuff.

My light switches were once all X10, then Insteon and today UPB. (late 1970's to 2000's)

Here my RPi / ZNet like device is mounted in the attic and powered via POE center. Works fine with my test ZWave devices on the 2nd floor, main floor, attached garage and basement.

My X10 and UPB controllers are adjacent to the fuse panel and on separate breakers. Utilize Volp dual phase, CM11A's and TW-523's for X10. Have two UPB PIMs near the fuse panel and using a UPB repeater. I also utilize two more UPB pims for signal checking connecting these to the LAN via serial to LAN interfaces.

Zigbee just sits on the main floor connected serially to the OmniPro 2 which is in the basement here.

One test customized (hardware and firmware modifications) micro router (OpenWRT) AP now on the main floor family room dedicated to WiFi automation.

What is nice about Homeseer is that you can utilize just about every type of automation that there is today.

Relating to water stuff here many years ago installed secondary analog water meters, water switches and flood detection wired to the OmniPro 2 panel...very analog sure bet stuff....
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

Comment

Yeah here utilize X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee and goofing around now with WiFi Mosquitto / Arduino / Sonoff stuff.
                Curious about the Sonoff basic switches. I'd like to replace a number of PCS 4-gang X-10 switches with non-X-10 devices. Z-wave has established a thorough mesh web throughout my 3 floors, and reaches a switch on a tree by the lake about 120 feet away. Is there a plugin you use with the Sonoff, how reliable are they for off/on, the small doc says "Sonoff RF supports controlled by 433mHz RF Remote Controller" - is this supported via HS?

Comment

Also , it appears the Sonoff does not do "dimming"?

Comment

The $5.00 Sonoff WiFi basic uses only WiFi and Mosquitto. There is another SonOff Wifi basic with both a 433Mhz RF button remote and WiFi.

Here modded the basic Sonoff WiFi basic to work with two NC/NO sensors, DS18B20 temperature sensor and use the built in relay in low voltage mode (cutting high voltage traces to the relay).

For 4 switches you can DIN mount the deluxe SonOff 4 relay switch which works with a 433Mhz RF button remote and WiFi switching 120VAC on or off or switching 12VDC on or off (for LEDs).

No dimming though.

There is a Homeseer 3 plugin that you would utilize called mcsMQTT to read the sensors or turn on and off the relays plus you can do this with the 433Mhz RF button or the web interface to the Sonoff device. Note that the Sonoff / Arduino is modded with a customized firmware mcsTasmota which is a modded Tasmota for Sonoff firmware.

You can also look at the RSSI signal from the WAP on the Sonoff. Not sure how it would look at 120 feet using the internal WiFi antenna.

Are you having powerline issues with the 4 X10 switches? Here utilize a dual phased Volp TW-523 emulator. Works great.

IE: UPB powerline utilize a dual phased UPB repeater in the fuse panel and for X10 powerline utilize a Volp dual phased TW-523.

Note these are on the panel along with X10 CM11As and a couple of more UPB PIMs on serial to ethernet links.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Are you having powerline issues with the 4 X10 switches? Here utilize a dual phased Volp TW-523 emulator. Works great.
                      IE: UPB powerline utilize a dual phased UPB repeater in the fuse panel and for X10 powerline utilize a Volp dual phased TW-523.
                      Well, the price on the Sonoff can't be beat, that's for sure.
                      As I instigated an evolution to LED lights, particularly the Feit 6" can retrofits, which seal the opening to a more air-tight/less infiltration and provide such great energy savings, I realized that the X-10 switches (not the RCS, though) were passing enough juice that there was "never-off" flutter on some of the LED lights. This accelerated my need to migrate. The 4-gang bars have been largely bulletproof for two decades. I put the 110v wiring in closets, cabinets, and used the SG I/O to control them, then switched to a 485 hub-based keypad system to control the X-10 stuff hidden away.

Comment

Yes here started to switch over to dimmable clear LED bulbs. Finished the bathrooms so far using non dimmable LED clear lamps.

I have recently upgrade the family room to using dimmable LED bulbs with UPB. They do dim fine to 30%.

I do though see some "flutter" when a local large venue has concerts which is odd to me.

I am starting to see SonOff glass touch switches and I believe these will dim. These are more expensive though.

There is a new tiny capactor/resistor pack now sold for LEDs (for dimming). They are small and flat. Initially though the price was very reasonable. It's gone up a bit now.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

All,
                          I'm brand new to HS3 using a S6 Pro. Installing the system has caused me untold communications problems that may be solved soon (lots of help from HS support). I'm using a smarthome 2413U (USB plugin) for a PLC and have purchased the MSandler plugin for Insteon and X-10. Support has told me that I need this plugin in order to program events in X10. Like many of you, I come from the X10 world, and am currently using a JDS Homerunner home control system. The JDS software is very user-friendly in programming events in the X10 world, specifically when utilizing relay (Universal modules) and other A1 AOff type streams.
                          I've now scanned lots of entries on the HS forum and seen many problems programming and successfully setting up events to properly control many X-10 devices. Do you have any simple examples of events using relays for triggering events in HS3? How do I develop a virtual device that triggers on "E All Lights ON" ?? This is the stream coming from a closed relay from a Universal module.
                          It appears that I'll have a real challenge in programming events to cover all of the X10 situations that need to be working in my house. Any ideas (using the MSandler plugin into a smarthome Dual Band PLC?
                          Thanks very much for any help, this will be a long but challenging transfer to HS3
                          Peter

Comment

The S6Pro is remarkably unstable, in that I cannot get it to run consistently for more than a few days before it stops responding to the android-based apps (see pic attached). The z-wave adapter connected via usb has a green light that turns red. The only solution is to cold-boot the S6Pro. I've even put the S6 Pro on a standalone battery backup along with the zwave adapter. This increased the time between crashes by a day or more, but they still happen. As for the many dozens of x-10 light switches I still have, I am rotating them out with ZWave switches (health permitting). The names I've given devices when adding them using the z tool+ do not always "stick", when I load HS Touch or Homeseer Mobile they are back to "NODE 26", for example, even though I changed it to Garage Back Door. Some switches I have added simply disappear randomly days later. Meanwhile the Stargate continues chugging along, running events, not realizing that I am dismembering it piece by piece. Sure, there are some nice videos up on youtube, but they are never comprehensive to cover all of the choices and variables present in actual setup. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180910-220027.png
Views:	139
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1248182

Comment

Thanks very much for this input. My hometroller has not worked with my home Dell PC as yet, and I've spent many hours on the phone with both Matt and Tyler at their Bedford NH headquarters. I cannot get proper communications despite megga-frustration and tests, so I'm really happy that you have sent me this info on problems with X10.
                              My only reason for upgrading to an HS system was to obtain Zwave and voice (and cell phone) control of the home system. There's nothing about the JDS system that's failing, but I'm going to stick with that box now and send all of this expensive stuff back to HS via Smarthome. My investment thus far is over $1500 as like a dope I already purchased motion sensors, appliance modules and other zwave stuff.
                              Thanks very much,
                              Peter Dawson
                              Portsmouth, NHH

Comment

Working...
                              X