Migrating from Insteon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating from Insteon

I have a few Insteon dimmers and plugs in my home. After my internet provider gave me a new modem that blocked port forwarding, and especially having my garage ceiling plug fail on me, I no longer have any love for Insteon products. If I can use the remaining working Insteon products with the Homeseer system, I'll be more than happy, but I do need to replace at least one plug.

Homeseer seems to have only a few switches and sensors available. I would also like to incorporate a few plugs (either plugin or wire in), a thermostat, and smoke detectors into the system. Insteon devices have a reputation for failing, so is there a more reliable plug that will interface easily with the Homeseer Zee s2?

How easy is it to incorporate an Insteon plugin to the Zee s2 to work with my existing Insteon devices?

If I am going to be connecting up to about a dozen devices, will the Zee s2 have enough power to run these reasonably quickly and efficiently? I read one post where the Zee s2 gets bogged down when lots of devices get added to it.

Larry

Hmm, no responses yet. A canadian supplier had the zee2 on sale for a pretty good price. The sale was ending today so I got it. I'm pretty sure thatfor my uses the zee 2 will be fine.

So, an important question remains. Do I need to purchase plugins to work with my remaining Insteon devices, or am I able to simply download it.

Larry

Comment

First, I know nothing about the zee.

I use a plugin for Insteon. Works well on a Win10 tower. Here is the forum:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...teon-mnsandler

I have a lot of insteon installed going back over 10 years. I have no complaints about insteon other than there is a lack of selection in devices and they are costly. About a year ago I decided to add z-wave to the mix. Free plugin that works well. I really like z-wave plus. Both z-wave and insteon work well together. I have 2 z-wave smoke detectors, thermostat, and a 4 button remote. They run on a USB z-stick without problems.

Comment

I got my zee s2 going. I installed the Insteon plugin, but discovered that you had to have an Insteon controller, such as the hub, I think. If my hub is not working, does this mean I will not be able to use my Insteon devices?

Comment

You should ask your questions on the insteon forum.

As far as the controller/hub, many folks use the Insteon 2413s with success. Costs around $80.

Since you appear to be down on insteon, maybe now is the time to move to another technology. If my understanding is right, the zee2 has built in z-wave. I've added z-wave and I am happy with it. There could be some residual value in your old insteon devices. There is a for sale section where you might post them. For the right price, an existing satisfied insteon user (like me) might be interested.

Comment

I guess the insteon forum may have been a better place. My migration from Insteon has not been so smooth, and perhaps those considering migrating will know they must have a working controller as well as the devices. This fact was not obvious when I did my research on this forum or elsewhere. I may look into the feasibility of purchasing the Insteon 2413s. I do have some Insteon plug-in devices that I might want to maintain in the system.

As of now, I have already ordered some z-wave dimmers.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Another reason for my migration from Insteon to z-wave is the LED flicker. Everytime there is Insteon traffic on the neutral line, I get flicker on my LED bulbs. Other forums say the Cree LED bulbs are the best, but I've gone through at least a half dozen dimmable LED bulbs in the last 10 years. I cannot prove that they failed because of flicker caused by Insteon traffic, but I'm hoping that z-wave will eliminate the flicker.

Now, knowing that Insteon devices must work with an Insteon controller, using an Insteon plugin will not eliminate the flicker problem either because Insteon traffic will remain on the system causing flicker on the LED bulbs. I'm glad that there are some people still happy with Insteon. Overall, it has been a good system except for one device that failed. Also, now that port forwarding is not possible because of the modem that my Internet provider gave me, remote access is no longer possible. So, you may see some of these devices showing up in the for sale section later in the year.

Comment

You really should post in the Insteon forum. The Insteon plugin will work with the Insteon internet hub (sounds like that is what you had). I do not know if internet access is required to set it up, but I am sure that it is not needed to use it after setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry68 View Post
                  Another reason for my migration from Insteon to z-wave is the LED flicker. Everytime there is Insteon traffic on the neutral line, I get flicker on my LED bulbs. Other forums say the Cree LED bulbs are the best, but I've gone through at least a half dozen dimmable LED bulbs in the last 10 years. I cannot prove that they failed because of flicker caused by Insteon traffic, but I'm hoping that z-wave will eliminate the flicker.

Now, knowing that Insteon devices must work with an Insteon controller, using an Insteon plugin will not eliminate the flicker problem either because Insteon traffic will remain on the system causing flicker on the LED bulbs. I'm glad that there are some people still happy with Insteon. Overall, it has been a good system except for one device that failed. Also, now that port forwarding is not possible because of the modem that my Internet provider gave me, remote access is no longer possible. So, you may see some of these devices showing up in the for sale section later in the year.
                  Is the router that your internet provider gave you a combination router/modem. If so and that is what is preventing you from port forwarding you can always bridge the modem/router so that it's only a modem and get a separate router so you can forward the ports on it. If port forwarding is important for you.

Also, another happy insteon user here.

Comment

I have continued this discussion here:
                    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...on-with-zee-s2

because it is no longer related to migration from Insteon to z-wave.

Comment

Working...
                    X