Moving from Vera Secure, Need help on Picking Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Vera Secure, Need help on Picking Controller

I’m in the process of deciding which route to go with HS3 (HomeTroller-SEL or my own PC) The specs on the SEL worry me, extremely low for todays standards. For $300 I can get a better Processor, More Ram and Much more SSD space. I would use the same form factor- Intel NUC. Only issue is the lack of a real serial port like the SEL has,

Also which way? Win 10 Pro or Linux. I come from the Mac world so either is fine. I do find it easier to get a Windows box going, also easier to restore from a back up if needed,

My Vera Secure has 2 Hue Controllers with 60 Bulbs, Nest, Blue Iris, Schlage Locks, an old Vera 3 in my shed, Fibaro Scene Buttons, Fibaro Swipe Scene device, Pentair Pool, Concord 4 Alarm System. 30+ various GE Switch and dimmer devices. We are also heavy in to Alexa integration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reason I’m leaving Vera: Lock ups, slowness, my wife freaking out because it doesn’t work when she needs it. Support, Lua Code is a pain, Overall just tired of being a programmer, I think it’s all great and then Bam! It just stops working. The other night we ended up sleeping with a majority of the lights on because we couldn’t get her to find them!

As HS3 has it's origins in Windows I stay with and run my primary system on Windows 10 Pro. It does work fine (core) on Linux with Mono if you have an updated Mono version, however because it is still a translation layer not everything always works as expected/intended. So for me I just prefer to not add a translator when Windows 10 Pro is stable enough these days.

With that I also chose to buy my own hardware and I run my main system off a Minix Mini PC and my development is done on a Windows box and vmware with linux vm's.

Comment

I have 2 HS3 boxes that are micro form factor PCs I bought used on ebay in the $250 range: HP Elitedesk G2 Mini i5-6500T (has a serial port) and Dell Optiplex 5050 i5-7500T. Both 8GB RAM and easily handle HS3. Not sure whether the 5050 has a serial port option.
      -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by StepDeb View Post
        The other night we ended up sleeping with a majority of the lights on because we couldn’t get her to find them!
        I think I missed this.... is the "Her" you're speaking of Alexa or your wife???

If it's Alexa (I hope) then well... I would not make a huge move just for Alexa/Google Home integration with ANY platform at this time as HS3 still has it's own issues in that arena. It's getting better but a long way from perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
          I would not make a huge move just for Alexa/Google Home integration with ANY platform at this time as HS3 still has it's own issues in that arena. It's getting better but a long way from perfect.
          Good point.
          -Wade

Comment

The specs on the SEL worry me, extremely low for todays standards.
            Smart Hub standards or regular PC standards? If you're looking at the HomeTroller as a regular PC, then yes... you can get a faster CPU and more RAM and more storage, etc.. If you're looking at the HomeTroller as a smart home hub, then, I'd say this is pretty near the top of the heap! So, this all comes down to what you're actually looking to move to. That's why we offer completely configured smart hubs... and also offer stand-alone HS3 software.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I think I missed this.... is the "Her" you're speaking of Alexa or your wife???

If it's Alexa (I hope) then well... I would not make a huge move just for Alexa/Google Home integration with ANY platform at this time as HS3 still has it's own issues in that arena. It's getting better but a long way from perfect.
              Sorry, her refers to Vera. That night Vera lost the configuration on several zwave light switches. Which then showed back by 9am the next day.

And no I wouldn’t make a change just on the Alexa stuff. My main issue is reliability.

Comment

Sorry, her refers to Vera. That night Vera lost the configuration on several zwave light switches. Which then showed back by 9am the next day.

And no I wouldn’t make a change just on the Alexa stuff. My main issue is reliability.
                Ok if the "her" is Vera because of losing devices then yeah, Vera does that on occasion.

Comment

The SEL is a Gigabyte device running Ubuntu Linux. So are you comfortable building your system, installing and configuring all the software or do you want a turnkey appliance? You also need to decide what OS you are going to run on. Linux doesn't need as much power under the hood as Windows does. It's amazing how well a Raspberry Pi performs running HS3.
                  HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                  Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                  Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Also note... if you go the SEL route you will need to upgrade the system from day 1. At the very least upgrade Mono otherwise a lot of plugins will not work correctly if at all... most of mine do not work with the stock Mono on any HST Linux system out of the box.

Comment

Also note... if you go the SEL route you will need to upgrade the system from day 1. At the very least upgrade Mono otherwise a lot of plugins will not work correctly if at all... most of mine do not work with the stock Mono on any HST Linux system out of the box.
                      John - did you contact support about this? If so, what was the outcome?
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
                        The SEL is a Gigabyte device running Ubuntu Linux. So are you comfortable building your system, installing and configuring all the software or do you want a turnkey appliance? You also need to decide what OS you are going to run on. Linux doesn't need as much power under the hood as Windows does. It's amazing how well a Raspberry Pi performs running HS3.
                        Windows it is! I have a MS Surface Pro that is basically just a monitor for various house functions. I have HS3 Pro Trial running with several plugins and it's under 10% CPU.

So all I need for Zwave is a HomeSeer Z-NET Network-Enabled Z-Wave Plus Interface? I would go with 2 one in the house and one in my Shed in the back of the lot. I have ethernet wired to most of the house and shed.

Comment

Windows it is! I have a MS Surface Pro that is basically just a monitor for various house functions. I have HS3 Pro Trial running with several plugins and it's under 10% CPU.

So all I need for Zwave is a HomeSeer Z-NET Network-Enabled Z-Wave Plus Interface? I would go with 2 one in the house and one in my Shed in the back of the lot. I have ethernet wired to most of the house and shed.
                          Start with what you have is a great starting point. The Z-Net's are great. I have one I bought and one I built Covers the whole house, garage, extension very nicely.

Comment

I migrated from Vera a month and a half ago and HS is just so much easier than Vera and it just works. Took hardly any time at all to migrate and I have close to 40 switches, locks, Nest thermostat, protect, hello, 4 harmony hubs, too many chromecast devices (homes, chromecast audios, android tvs) and getting everything working how I wanted in Vera as you stated took forever, in HS3 it was maybe 2 days to move everything and program all events plus add new things I didnt have before.

I decided to go with Windows Server OS to avoid automatic updates mostly, but Win 10 Pro works as well and is what I would recommend. I use Veeam Free backup agent to snapshot the entire windows system so I can easily and quickly restore the entire system to alternate hardware or into a VM if I wanted and its free.

I had hardware already to re-purpose which is an i7 with 16gb of ram which is overkill, but again it was already available, if buying new I would still buy something similar not for HS3 but for the longevity of the system itself whether that continue to be HomeSeer or become re-purposed again elsewhere.

Keep in mind HS3 is a 32 bit application as well so really there is not much benefit to having a system with anything over 4gb of ram, unless you run other apps/ multiple plugins on the box as well.

If you need a serial port as well, I use software to attach serial ports over the network for my Monoprice AMP as there is an android app I also use to control the Monoprice AMP directly using a serial to ethernet adapter.

Comment

Ok, Pulled the plug on both of my Veras finally. I wanted to thank everyone for the help in making this decision. I'm still learning and need to pull the trigger on HS3 or HS3Pro? Also, any discount coupons for the software? All in with plugins and I'll exceed $1000 . Anyone need a good deal on a Vera 3 and Vera Secure?

Comment

Working...
                              X