Migrating to HomeSeer from IRIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating to HomeSeer from IRIS

I wasn't fooled again. The cloud based system was my biggest concern with Iris by lowes. When I bought the security starter pack about 3 years ago, I was a newby to smart home tech and had no idea what cloud vs local meant. It was a big surprise the 1st time the internet went down and my system went dead. I have learned quite a bit since. The other issue is you have to be fairly tech savvy to set up and run the Hometroller. Iris by lowes was a pain to learn, but once you got the hang of it it was pretty easy. While I see the many benifets and flexibility of Homeseer it can be overwhelming, especially if your not tech savvy. Another guess as to why people are going back to another cloud based system is cost. That being said my Hometroller SEL arrived yesterday. As of tonight to get the functionality of the Iris system I'm up to about $900, And I'm not done buying yet, and I've only unsecussfully paired 1 device (iris smart plug' another topic) The only add on to my system so far is I'm adding 1 additional camera for a total of 3 now. The cameras and network recorder and hard drive alone ran $400. Cloud based systems are a lot cheaper to get started.

to Lowes credit 😡 they did give me a $455 refund on a prepaid Visa card. That's what paid for my Hometroller. My tax refund is paying for the rest.

My conversion plan from Iris by Lowes to Homeseer.
    1. Hometroller SEL
    2. Smart stick+. This + a couple plug ins should control all my z wave devices except for the Iris smart plug (that's another interesting topic)
    3. I'm firing up my old Admeco security panel with NuTech interface and plug in
    4. Amcrest cameras, network recorder, hard drive and Blue Iris plug In
    5. zigbee topic. I hate to mothball my smart plug and other sensors, so I'm looking at buying a usb zigbee with the plug in (can't remember plugin name) to see what I can salvage. 9 contact sensors, smart button ($20 ea) 1 motion sensor $20, 2 smart plug ($45 ea I think) 1 smart button ($20 I think). That's over a $300 dollar loss if I can't use them again.

other issues I think I'm going to have is not enough USB ports. Can I use a usb hub to add more usb devices to the Hometroller. Right now I'm guessing I'll need 3 if I'm right. 1 for smart stick+. 1 for NuTech Adapter for Admeco panel. 1 for zigbee usb.

Originally posted by Scoot View Post

other issues I think I'm going to have is not enough USB ports. Can I use a usb hub to add more usb devices to the Hometroller. Right now I'm guessing I'll need 3 if I'm right. 1 for smart stick+. 1 for NuTech Adapter for Admeco panel. 1 for zigbee usb.
    A USB hub should be fine. If you have a choice, get one with a power adapter to be on the 'safe' side.

Learn About HomeSeer

Comment

5. zigbee topic. I hate to mothball my smart plug and other sensors, so I'm looking at buying a usb zigbee with the plug in (can't remember plugin name) to see what I can salvage. 9 contact sensors, smart button ($20 ea) 1 motion sensor $20, 2 smart plug ($45 ea I think) 1 smart button ($20 I think). That's over a $300 dollar loss if I can't use them again.

Currently the best ZigBee "solution" that works well with HS3 is to use deCONZ on a seperate Raspberry Pi NOT the HomeTroller as it won't even run on that and then use the JowiHue plugin to connect deCONZ to HS3. This will free up one of your USB ports

The Iris plug does not function through z-wave only acts as a z-wave repeater and a very bad one at that. The ZigBee portion of the plug DOES NOT work with deCONZ just an FYI so you don't spend a lot of time on it. As for the sensors if they are V1 you're SOL if they are V2/V3 you would have to check against the deCONZ supported devices. ZigBee is still a weak point with HS3 but through the work done on JowiHue and the deCONZ project things are improving very quickly.

Comment

…... As of tonight to get the functionality of the Iris system I'm up to about $900, And I'm not done buying yet,....
        Scoot, this is not a cheap hobby. You will never recoup the money spent through energy savings, your spouse will hate you sometimes for it, and you will surely gain weight because of it! However, it is the future and you are a part of it. Homeseer, because it is fairly user driven, has become what home automation enthusiasts need and what they want. With few exceptions, you can pretty much do anything you can think of with HS. ...or what someone else has thought of. ….or what you thought of and someone else figured out how to make work. With the newer ZigBee support, HS now works with (I believe) every major HA technology available. After over 15 years with HST, I can tell you that you are starting with Homeseer at the best it has ever been.

I got into wireless HA in 1986 with X10. Appliance and lamp modules were about $30 a shot. Pretty spendie back then. Eventually X-10 figured out that selling quantity was more lucrative than (quality) and cloud boxes flooded the HA world. Modules got down to $9 a piece. DS10a's went for $3 occasionally. Light switches and dimmers went for under $10 regularly with their crazy sales. MOTION detectors went from $50+ a pop to around $15. I completely overloaded my IBM Home Director CM11A. I struggled for several years and found Homeseer in 2003. I paid $29 for it and then found out I needed to have a dedicated PC to run it. (#$*&#$!!!!!). Every add-on needed another serial port so I HAD to get an Edge(?) box. Homeseer Phone needed parts. (or that modem that took over a year to get!) Then there were the X-10 filters and cameras and better microphones for voice. Then.... I got married and WAF became a thing. When we moved to our current house, she said everything has to work. I negotiated 4 9's. That meant switching to Z-Wave and back to $40-50 a pop for most switches/dimmers/modules all over again. PLUS new Z-wave controllers. ….and all the other cool z-wave stuff out there. I replaced every wall switch in the entire house with an HST wall switch/dimmer. (Then replaced them again with the new 5-tap with color indicator lights!)

To make a long post even longer (and I guess the point of it all is) Home automation is expensive. Switching from one technology to another is expensive. You are fortunate to have found HST sooner rather than later. There is (or can be) a huge learning curve, it is a little overwhelming considering everything HST can do, but few people switch away from Homeseer once they find it. Just look at the membership list sorted by date and you will find MANY MANY old-timers here that are still very active.

OK, so I just reread your posts and now my post seems somewhat off-topic, but I am going to post it anyway because it took too long to type! :-)

Welcome to Homeseer. Give it a go and you will be so happy you did!

Rob

Comment

Hello, newbie to HomeSeer here but long time Iris user now looking at HomeSeer as my next (and hopefully last) HA system.
          I have a pair of Iris V2 hubs and about 100 devices between them, much of it is 1st generation Iris ZigBee stuff which I know is not currently supported by HS.
          The rest is Iris 2G, GE/Jasco outlets dimmers and switches, NYCE tilt sensors, Iris cameras made by Sercomm, First Alert Smoke and Smoke/CO detectors, Utilitech siren, some smart leak detectors I believe are made by Centralite, motion sensors, keypads, door/window switches, etc.

Will have questions no doubt but here is what I have to work with as my hub:

(1) Raspberry Pi 3b+ with latest HSPi3 image loaded
          (1) HomeSeer SmartStick+
          (2) Digi XStick ZB ZigBee USB modules
          (1) X-10 CM11A controller (if I can find it) but I don't see how I can use this with the Pi3b since the CM11A is made to plug into a serial port on a PC which the Pi3 does not have of course.

I have not seen anything about support for Wi-Fi switches. I have a couple GE Wi-Fi outdoor plugin switches that I would like to continue to use but did not find a plug-in for the Pi3 to use the onboard Wi-Fi.

Also does HomeSeer use Bluetooth for anything?

Comment

Working...
          X