Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving on ; from Vera to Homeseer..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know anything about EU Z-wave, but I'm a Vera refugee myself. Vera felt more much like a toy than HS. The only thing I dislike about HS is that you often times have to shell out another $40 to get more functionality. Like the Harmony or some other plugings.

That being said, I have my Harmony integrated with HS and it works well. Alexa is, but I don't really use it much. Sonos speakers should be able to work with it, but I've never gotten mine to. In all fairness, I'm pretty inexperienced and don't have much spare time these days.

Welcome to the club. The real, grown-up club of Home Automation.

Comment

I'm mostly looking at the cost of HomeSeer and any potential plug-in to pay for guaranteed support. The community driven support is awesome from fellow end-users, and alike to open-sourced solutions that are free, but there's no guarantee the way HomeSeer offers.

Comment

I found one thread with the same issue: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-z-wave-failed
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Not so good start unfortunately.

sparkman : that is one of the threads I found as well , I have set my region as US. But still the error .
          I am running windows 10
          .Net is this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-08 23_45_40-Registry Editor.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1331635

I read there is also a version 4.8 of .net , which I installed , but also this didn't change anything.
          I tried disabling Avast security , also no joy.
          The pushovers .zip files I see in the homeseer folder. Any option to unzip them and install them manually?

What else can I do?

Thanks,
          Cor

Comment

Weird. Yes, you can unzip them manually. They will contain a text file that show where the other files should go.

Comment

Not a lot of luck here.....

the install file says:
              HSPI_PUSHOVER.exe,.,0
              pushovericon.png,.\html\Images,0

when I click the exe file I get an error.
              Code:
              dled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'HSPI_PUSHOVER.Main' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'HomeSeerAPI, Version=1.0.2.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
                 at HSPI_PUSHOVER.Main..cctor()
                 --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
                 at HSPI_PUSHOVER.Main.Main()
              But that is probably since it is not in the correct folder.
              Cor

Comment

Any file with no path specified goes into the root of the HS folder. Once the file is there, don’t try to run it directly. Go to the Plugins - Manage page and you should be able to start it there. If it does not show there, then restart HS and it should appear there.

Comment

sparkman : cool , manually installing it worked, I can play now with it a little bit.

Thanks for your help,
                  Cor

Comment

Originally posted by Corvl1 View Post
                    sparkman : cool , manually installing it worked, I can play now with it a little bit.

Thanks for your help,
                    Cor
                    Glad that worked for you. Still odd with that error. Definitely not a common issue. Might want to contact HS support on that.

Comment

I found the easiest way to do notifications is to send an email to your cell phone provider's email-to-text phone number and it is received on your phone as a text. For example, to send a text to an AT&T number 123.456.7890, email it to: 1234567890@txt.att.net HS has built in emailing capability. My response has been very good for this, your mileage may vary with other phone providers. Google to find your providers email-to-text address.
                      tenholde

Comment

I also use Tasker on android tablet to display notifications in the kitchen.
                        tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                          I found the easiest way to do notifications is to send an email to your cell phone provider's email-to-text phone number and it is received on your phone as a text. For example, to send a text to an AT&T number 123.456.7890, email it to: 1234567890@txt.att.net HS has built in emailing capability. My response has been very good for this, your mileage may vary with other phone providers. Google to find your providers email-to-text address.
                          That's indeed easy, but what if you have to send out the same notification to different phones on different networks? Of course you can modify the script to repeat it for all the other email-to-text addresses, but curious if somebody perhaps made a Twilio compatible solution. We use Twilio at work and from what I remember it is reasonably priced.

They even support voice, WhatsApp and many other APIs, but SMS/Text is their core which comes down to $0.75 for 100 texts with a $1/month base fee to get a phone-number assigned, or $0.50/month to re-use your existing number.

Free is always better of course, but was curious if somebody created something, especially the voice/WhatsApp APIs that Twilio offers.

Comment

The last couple of days I have been playing with pushover and tasker TTS, works brilliantly. I will go with that.

Yesterday and today i was playing with events, tried to build some "advanced events".... not easy and not yet 100% how I want it.

- 4 virtual switches, one for each family member.
                            -10 sensors ( for testing they are for the moment virtual switches)

When one of the virtual switches goes to on:
                            - send a personal notification to only that person/switch
                            -all the other switches from the family members need to go to on as well, but no personal message.
                            -check if all Sensors are off.
                            -when all sensors are off : send message to all family members .
                            -when a sensor is on: send a message to all family members which one is on.

things where it went wrong so far:
                            -when one switch causes the other switches to go on as well, a personal message must NOT be sent.
                            -the logic was also not sound when a sensor was on , and later on changd to off. the notifications were not correct.

This needs some more thinking the following day........

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                              A number of service providers no longer offer email to sms, at least here in Canada, and I also find the delays with email significantly more variable than with Pushover.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

A number of service providers no longer offer email to sms, at least here in Canada, and I also find the delays with email significantly more variable than with Pushover.
                                Verizon email to SMS still works quite well and fast in the US. I have used it and still use it VERY regulary ( for my confirmation that my coffee is ready ) It is MUCH faster directly from HS to Verizon vs email provider to email provider. ( Again, important for my coffee)

Comment

Working...
                                X