Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving on ; from Vera to Homeseer..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving on ; from Vera to Homeseer..........

Greetings,

This morning my wife called, saying , I can't open the gate anymore , I can't open the door anymore. (thankfully everything is backed up up with keys and switches ... but stilll.... quite annoying). It seems my vera plus died overnight. I doubt I can bring life back into it.
    I was allready thinking of changing to homeseer, although I don't know much about homeseer yet, but now I have to make a descision quite quick. (Buy another vera, or homeseer).

I should read first on this forum days and days , but the descision needs to be taken quite rapidly , hence I allready ask some questions, hopefully someone can give me a heads up.

The most important thing which wasn't working correctly on my home automations was "vera alerts" , it used to be an instant notification on my cellphone when something happened. Since google changed something and the maker of "vera alerts" changed to another "provider"( or so) , the notifications are very unreliable and can come much later.

-Does Homeseer have anything like that , can you on every item/device you want a notification which is instantly send to a mobile phone ( Android)?
    -Another thing which is very important to me is checking devices/status; when everything is set how I want it to , than do a specidifc action . If not , do another action.
    For example; a switch is set to on: than check if a specific door is closed , that door is closed, a window is closed bla bla bla. If yes , than do this. If a window is open , send a notification which window is open. Is this possible with Homeseer.? ( withouth using any programm language).
    -Can you send http commands?
    -Will I have problems with the following devices ( EU - Zwave)?
    -Eurotronic spirit thermostats
    -fibaro: double relais
    -fibaro dimmer
    -Qubino: double relais
    -Qubino- sunshade controller
    -Qubino: dimmer
    -Fibaro universal sensor
    -sonos speakers
    -alexa
    -harmony hub-remote controll

Many thanks for your time ,
    Cor

Hi Cor, all those items should work with HS, but for the specific z-wave devices, I would test them first. Although in theory z-wave devices all follow standards, sometimes things do get implemented inconsistently. HS does a reasonable job of testing most NA device, but not as much for EU devices (due to a number of factors). For notifications, you will have to create events to send those. The best way in my opinion is using the free Pushover plugin.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

TL;DR == Switch away from Vera to HomeSeer, you'll be happy you did

Planned to switch from Vera3 to HomeSeer and then my Vera3 died (Murphy's Law). Since the Z-Wave network is inside the Vera3 I couldn't do a network transfer via the Z-Wave protocol, and my Vera backups were useless for HomeSeer, so I ended up buying a $30 refurbished Vera3 on eBay and did a Vera3 backup recovery and everything was back up and running again. Just never found the right time to migrate networks over, as I was constantly in fear that something would go wrong, and I would have to move appliances, and open junction boxes and remove lamp fixtures from ceilings to gain access to Z-Wave devices to redo the Z-Wave network.

Moving to a new location allowed me to overcome that fear, and been running fine on HomeSeer since.

In your case it becomes a question of the following:
      • Is your Vera a newer model, and do those come with a separate backup for the Z-Wave network that you can recover on a different interface controller, such as a HomeSeer SmartStick+? The Z-Wave network backup is formatted like a text-file, and contains lines that read like: "47,183,126,1,5,8,1" with first number being the device node number.
      • Would it be difficult for you to regain access to all your Z-Wave device action button to remove/include the devices from old network to new one?

All your other questions are difficult for me to answer as the only matching device I have on US frequency is the Fibaro eye-ball motion sensor, but I've yet to come across a Z-Wave device that doesn't work (and HomeSeer support is awesome to assist if needed). Granted the Vera3 did expose a few more Z-Wave parameters than HS3 does on my AeonLabs devices, but I plan to work with HomeSeer support to fix that after things have settled down for the development team busy on HS4 at the moment. All Z-Wave parameters are available to read and configure via a manual method, but it is much easier to click a checkbox than calculate binary values as per the device manual.

You could search the forum for your specific Z-Wave device model numbers, and odds are somebody else owns one and posted a thread on it.

For Sonos, Alexa, and Harmony you might need to rely on the purchase of some additional plugins to make them fully functional the way you want them, but any Z-Wave device will work as-is. Programming on Vera is done via a GUI method, or advanced with LuuP code, and the same can be done on HomeSeer. You will be able to create easy "switch is on -> then do this" type of events, but there is also the EasyTrigger plugin you can purchase to make that even more powerful with easy scheduling (read the respective forum thread for more info, and there is a trial version you can try for free). Then you can also expand everything with code/scripts at multiple levels to do advanced functionality alike to LuuP.

Often somebody will share their experience, and there is an "Event Clinic" section on the forum to ask for assistance or read existing examples.

Comment

Noooo don’t buy another Vera. I switched to HomeSeer from my Vera plus about a year and a half ago. I do not regret in any way. No more daily or weekly fixing my Vera. I have not had a problem in my Homeseer in over a year. The only time in do something is to add a device or create a event. I cant say enough about HS. I love it. There will be a learning curve but not to bad. I had mine setup up with about 12 devices in one day and the next day tweeking things.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

In the mean time I was able to get the vera plus back up again , and all is functioning. But I do think it is running on it's last legs , since it is not normall. I will take the plunge to homeseer most likely.

Good idea about googling on the homeseer forum about my devices. Most of my devices seems to work. Except for the Qubino , which have some dificulties .....but that was some years ago , I expect these are solved now, but need to check.

The vera plus is now about 2 years old , and I don't think there is an option to download the zwave network. meaning , I have to take a couple of days to exclude and include about 80 devices :-s .................. it is like it is.

sparkman About the "Pushover" plugin, the notifications send , are they ( almost) instandly received on the smartphone? (offcourse depending on the wifi availability etc)?
          RoChess : About the programming; with the GUI on vera I was quite able to do whatever I wanted , I also used PLEG for some more difficult conditions, but programming in LUA, that is a big no- no for me.

Would this be possible without using any programming code , but just in a GUI or using a thing like PLEG on the Vera.
          -A virtual switch is selected to on.
          When that happends, the system checks what the status is on 10 different sensors, all of them should be closed.
          If all are closed > send notification 1
          If window 5 is open > send notification which window is open.

Oh , one other important thing I need is to send data from sensors to another computer ( Blue iris). I need homeseer to send temperature data in a file, which needs go to that other computer.

On my vera plus I used this script in LUA:
          Code:
          local devID = 37
          local temperature = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1","CurrentTemperature",devID)
          local file = io.open("/www/blueiris/Living_room.txt", "w")
          file:write(temperature .. "\176C")
          file:close()

local devID = 40
          local temperature = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1","CurrentTemperature",devID)
          local file = io.open("/www/blueiris/corridor.txt", "w")
          file:write(temperature .. "\176C")
          file:close()
          On the computer running blue iris a programm winscp logged on on the vera plus every 10 minutes to copy that file to the that other computer.
          Would this be possible? this LUA programming I can not do myself, someone else helped me with that. Is the homeseer community also helpfull with this kind of programming?

*edit* @jbfoster: no more weekly fixing stuff on the vera plus .... that will be indeed a big bonus!! I am quite frustrated with the vera to eb honoust.
          Many thanks,
          Cor

Comment

Originally posted by Corvl1 View Post
            sparkman About the "Pushover" plugin, the notifications send , are they ( almost) instandly received on the smartphone? (offcourse depending on the wifi availability etc)?

Oh , one other important thing I need is to send data from sensors to another computer ( Blue iris). I need homeseer to send temperature data in a file, which needs go to that other computer.

On the computer running blue iris a programm winscp logged on on the vera plus every 10 minutes to copy that file to the that other computer.
            Would this be possible? this LUA programming I can not do myself, someone else helped me with that. Is the homeseer community also helpfull with this kind of programming?

*edit* @jbfoster: no more weekly fixing stuff on the vera plus .... that will be indeed a big bonus!! I am quite frustrated with the vera to eb honoust.
            Many thanks,
            Cor
            Hi Cor, yes, it is nearly instantaneous and the Pushover protocol allows for different levels of urgency and has different sounds as well.

On the programming side, no issue with that. HS supports .NET scripts and there are many examples on the forum and users that are willing to help others write scripts. Most scripts are in vb.net.

Cheers
            Al

Comment

sparkman : Thanks; no idea what to do with .NET scripts , but if the help is there and people on the forum are willing to help , that is good enough for me.
              About the pushover protocol: is TTS possible? In my example on the previous post , i would like a notification that a specific window is open. I would like my phone to say "window x is open" .

Thanks,
              Cor

Comment

[USER="36007"]About the pushover protocol: is TTS possible? In my example on the previous post , i would like a notification that a specific window is open. I would like my phone to say "window x is open" .
                I don't believe TTS is supported. TTS is supported for other types of devices, such as Sonos and Squeezebox through 3rd party plugins or to HS Speaker which can run on Windows systems. Not sure if there's anything that can send TTS to phones.

Comment

The vera plus is now about 2 years old , and I don't think there is an option to download the zwave network. meaning , I have to take a couple of days to exclude and include about 80 devices :-s
                  Nope.

Just be sure to buy a HomeSeer SmartStick+ controller interface, which is only $10 extra as part of the combination promo deal on the software.

Then HomeSeer support will assist you with any difficulties.

With your VeraPlus operational again you configure HomeSeer to "Accept Z-Wave network from another controller", and set the VeraPlus to "Send Z-Wave network to another controller". Then via the Z-Wave system the device control will be copied over.

This only works if your Vera is operational, so you can do that now before it dies totally. It only works on devices, and you'll have to recreate events, but not having to expose Z-Wave action button on 80 devices and push them once to remove old Vera inclusion and again to re-include them on HomeSeer is well worth it.

Comment

sparkman : Thanks; no idea what to do with .NET scripts , but if the help is there and people on the forum are willing to help , that is good enough for me.
                    About the pushover protocol: is TTS possible? In my example on the previous post , i would like a notification that a specific window is open. I would like my phone to say "window x is open" .

Thanks,
                    Cor
                    If you happen to use Android phones, TTS would be possible using Tasker, and related plugins. Tasker can read Android notifications (from Pushover) and then do something with that info, like read it aloud.

Comment

HSAccord Thanks; that will be an option indeed . Quite a lot of work to have 30-40 notifications in TTS for 4 family members.
                      RoChess : Good to know , I just can't find the homeseer Z-wave stick with EU-frequency for the moment. Otherwise I see this one has good reviews: Aeotec AEOEZW090-C

I don't think the vera plus has an option to VeraPlus to "Send Z-Wave network to another controller" , you can have there a secondary controller , but the other device still needs to be there. Googling this , didn't help me on this either.

Just downloaded and recieved the trial version + code...... I am not at home this week , but I hope I can look a bit around programming the stuff with virtual switches and virtual sensors.

Cor

Comment

You will not regret the move from Vera. I did it over 3 years ago. never looked back. I use most of the devices you listed, Eurotronic Spirit (works really well), Fibaros, I use single switches, double switches and RGB. Qubino the same. All work well nowadays. Sonos has a great plugin here which I use. Alexa works well too (try Jon00's Alexa helper, superb !)

Comment

Corvl1 there are two approaches. You add HomeSeer as secondary controller to Vera by adding it as a 'New Device' to Vera and then duplicate devices. Once duplicated you should then be able to force HomeSeer to reclaim primary controller ownership. This can lead to issues though.

An easier one is to add the Z-Wave USB controller interface you plan to use for HomeSeer to the Vera, and then within Vera you create a backup, adjust configuration to switch from internal Z-Wave to USB, and then restore backup.

Then you unplug Vera, and plug stick into HomeSeer system and use "Import Node Info from Controller and Scan Devices".

Keep in mind that for both methods you'll still struggle with battery devices running in FLiRS mode, because you'll have to manually force them to stay awake, or allow your network to auto-heal as most battery devices are set to report to the controller at regular intervals of 12 hours to report battery levels.

If it fails, you can repair individual devices, and the process to keep most battery devices awake is 3x or 4x rapid click on their respective Z-Wave action button (or reference their manual).

Here's another thread from others who've done it: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...62#post1002962

If it all gets too complicated, just do the following:
                          1. Setup HomeSeer
                          2. Make it so you can access HomeSeer from a mobile device
                          3. Walk to closest powered Z-Wave device that supports repeating function (most do)
                          4. Plug-ins > Z-Wave > Expand your Z-Wave interface > Actions drop-down select "Remove/Exclude a Node"
                          5. Click START button
                          6. Push Z-Wave action button on device
                          7. Wait for HomeSeer to confirm device successfully excluded away from Vera
                          8. From actions drop-down select "Add/Include a Node"
                          9. Click START button
                          10. Push Z-Wave action button on device
                          11. Wait for HomeSeer to confirm device successfully got added

Then rinse and repeat step 4 through 11 for all other devices as you fan out away from the controller.

This way the mesh network gets configured correctly to assist in full home coverage with neighbor node support if device cannot reach controller direct.

Once you are done with all the powered devices in an area you can do the battery ones in same area, or wait with those till very end.

Stubborn battery devices, bring them near controller, exclude them there, but try to include them at destination. If that fails include them near controller, move them to final physical position and while you force it awake do a optimize inside Z-Wave tab.

Good luck

Comment

Nice too know there is an option to migrate the zwave network!... thanks

In the meantime I have downloaded the trial version and registered it ...... most of it is quite straight forward.
                            I do have an issue with plugins though. Before I commit myself to buy homeseer I need to know about the notifications. So I yried to install this plugin "pushover".

-went to "plugins"
                            -in the install table clicked the "pushover"plugin.
                            -clicked download and install.
                            , got an error message :"Install/Update of package Pushover failed.

restarted my computer , tried again , but still the same error .
                            -tried another free plugin , and the same.

Anyone has an idea what is wrong?

thanks,
                            Cor

*edit* , this is the part of the log:
                            Oct-08 19:53:44 Updater Install/Update of package Pushover failed.
                            Oct-08 19:53:44 Updater Error Installation of package Pushover failed. Try disabling the plugin first, then re-try the update.
                            Oct-08 19:53:44 Updater Error Unable to open install.txt file for update C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Updates3\Pushover0.0.0.47
                            Oct-08 19:53:44 Error Error unzipping C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Updates3\Pushover0.0.0.47\Pushover_0_0_0_47.zip, 1 is not a supported code page. Parameter name: codepage on line 0
                            Oct-08 19:53:44 Updater Installing package Pushover
                            Oct-08 19:53:44 Updater Update hspi_pushover.exe downloaded successfully
                            Oct-08 19:53:43 Updater Downloading update: Pushover
                            Oct-08 19:53:43 Updater Starting download of updates
                            Oct-08 19:50:05 Updater Install/Update of package BLEmail failed.
                            Oct-08 19:50:05 Updater Error Installation of package BLEmail failed. Try disabling the plugin first, then re-try the update.
                            Oct-08 19:50:05 Updater Error Unable to open install.txt file for update C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Updates3\BLEmail2.0.10.0
                            Oct-08 19:50:05 Error Error unzipping C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Updates3\BLEmail2.0.10.0\BLEmail_2-0-10-0.zip, 1 is not a supported code page. Parameter name: codepage on line 0

Comment

What flavor of Windows are you running it on? Looks like it is having trouble unzipping the installation files. Might be a .NET issue. What versions of .NET do you have installed?

Comment

Working...
                              X