New convert from Vera with some questions and observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New convert from Vera with some questions and observations

Just recently purchased Homeseer H3 Pro. I have a Vera that I had been using for about a year, but as my z-wave devices started to pile up, it became more and more unstable....lag times, things not operating, etc etc... It seems that under 30 devices it works great, as I got to about 40 it became worse and at my current 75 devices it was just too much for it to handle... What sold me on Homeseer (besides the eventual journey into more in depth automation like voice commands and advancing triggering) was the fact that you could use multiple primary controllers....as another poster put it (i have lurked for a longggg time) 'this is the crown jewel of the Homeseer system'...and I agree....which leads me to my first question....

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using multiple primary Z-trollers vs. using 1 primary Z-troller and a bunch of secondary ones?

I have already rebuilt the system 4 times in the last week just trying to learn and get by all the nuances that come with a new system.... When I had multiple primary controllers, everything worked great as far as stability but I had issues with activating scenes since it would only activate a device that was on that primary controller...I have since learned the work around which everyone else seems to already know as common knowledge which is using homeseer events to trigger devices....

When i switched to 1 primary controller (which I have done twice now), the system is way to unstable...even after multiple optimizations and assigning each device to the closest controller (I have controllers centrally located to cut down on the z-wave routing). I get a lot of errors with device statuses not being found, as well as some lights that won't activate when I run an event. So I think I am going build the network over again lol (no biggie) and go with multiple primary controllers and keep each controller around 30+ devices.

My leviton scene and zone controllers that used to work with vera are pretty much junk with homeseer. I am fed up with them and although I have 10 total, I am going to replace them with either single switches without a load to trigger events or try the Cooper controllers...which leads me to my next question....

Are the cooper controllers reliable as far as activating scenes, led statuses reporting correctly, etc etc...with Homeseer?

I have been having a load of issues with z-wave scenes with HS3...For instance, I cannot get a scene to activate an event, even when manually run through the software...is this because of the leviton controllers?

Also, I cannot get a scene to delete from Homeseer no matter what I do...I click delete through the software and the scene does not delete...is this a bug? Like I said before, I think for the time being (untill i get it figured out), I am going to ditch using scenes and just use the events under homeseer software....

The other issue that I am having is getting HSTouch to connect to Homeseer...I have checked the port settings and IP addresses and they seem to match...trying to get it to connect locally btw, not remotely yet....

Originally posted by tmobileguy View Post
    My leviton scene and zone controllers that used to work with vera are pretty much junk with homeseer. I am fed up with them and although I have 10 total, I am going to replace them with either single switches without a load to trigger events or try the Cooper controllers
    Hi,

I use only use a single z-troller right now with 60+ devices and my system is stable, so I can't help you with that portion. I do use Leviton zone controllers as well and I've had no issues with using them with HS2 so far (just getting going in my migration to HS3). Why are they "junk" with HomeSeer? What issues are you having?

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      Hi,

I use only use a single z-troller right now with 60+ devices and my system is stable, so I can't help you with that portion. I do use Leviton zone controllers as well and I've had no issues with using them with HS2 so far (just getting going in my migration to HS3). Why are they "junk" with HomeSeer? What issues are you having?

Cheers
      Al
      I cannot get them to operate at all. 4 of them I can't even get them to add to the z-troller...they won't even delete with the controller...

As an update, I finished reloading my whole system again and both z-trollers are functioning perfect right now...no lag times, everything is operating as it should and the few events I have put in so far are all working flawlessly... A couple of the devices didn't add properly on each z-troller on the initial add but after deleting them and re-adding them they work now...and a few of them i had to rescan in order to get all the information....I knew it wasn't the routing because a few of them were literally 5 feet from the z-troller...

but everything is looking good, just want to get this controller issue working and then I am going to start adding motion sensors and playing around with HSTouch...thats the next step!

Comment

They are a bit tricky to add. What steps are you using to add them?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

Comment

They are a bit tricky to add. What steps are you using to add them?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
          Holding down the 1 and 3 buttons to put them in program mode and then clicking "add" on the z-troller...

Comment

Holding down the 1 and 3 buttons to put them in program mode and then clicking "add" on the z-troller...
            You need to hold the "add" button for quite a while. If you're just clicking it, it'll likely fail. If you have ones with local load control, then there's also the step to push buttons 2 and 4 and then adding again. See http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=154856

Cheers
            Al

Comment

You need to hold the "add" button for quite a while. If you're just clicking it, it'll likely fail. If you have ones with local load control, then there's also the step to push buttons 2 and 4 and then adding again. See http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=154856

Cheers
              Al
              None of mine have local load control i believe....I hold down the ADD button for a while, it still won't add on some of them... What happens is that all the buttons go from amber to red...one of them even fails when I try to delete it, whereas the other ones will delete but wont add...out of the 7 that are hooked up....4 add but wont control a scene (3 zone and 1 scene controller), 2 will delete but won't add (both zone controllers) and 1 will not add or delete (scene controller)....

they only thing I have not tried is to add them while they hooked up to the serial cable and connected to homeseer....

also, I have a leviton primary controller, and I can add them into it, but I have no idea how to add the primary controller into homeseer

Comment

Have you tried deleting them with the Leviton controller first? Also, maybe try a restart on the z-troller. If you have tried those already, then I'm out of ideas other than trying again. I've had some similar issues with the Aeotec micro switches, where they would not add. I tried about 5 or 6 times and finally they did. Not sure what was wrong and why it did finally work.

Cheers
                Al

Comment

Have you tried deleting them with the Leviton controller first? Also, maybe try a restart on the z-troller. If you have tried those already, then I'm out of ideas other than trying again. I've had some similar issues with the Aeotec micro switches, where they would not add. I tried about 5 or 6 times and finally they did. Not sure what was wrong and why it did finally work.

Cheers
                  Al
                  Ive actually erased the z-troller multiple times during my multiple rebuilds of my system..each time they wouldn't add...

If I can figure out how to add the primary leviton controller, i could try that route...otherwise I am out of ideas as well and will go with the cooper controllers or using switches to activate scenes....

Any thoughts on how to add the leviton remotes to homeseer? and thanks for all the help...

Comment

Ive actually erased the z-troller multiple times during my multiple rebuilds of my system..each time they wouldn't add...

If I can figure out how to add the primary leviton controller, i could try that route...otherwise I am out of ideas as well and will go with the cooper controllers or using switches to activate scenes....

Any thoughts on how to add the leviton remotes to homeseer? and thanks for all the help...
                    Are you trying to make the Leviton remote a secondary controller? You can't add a "remote" to HS. Check to see if this How-To has any info that may help:
                    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=119759
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Are you trying to make the Leviton remote a secondary controller? You can't add a "remote" to HS. Check to see if this How-To has any info that may help:
                      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=119759
                      No, wanted to make it a primary, didn't know if there was some kind of work around where you could add it as a secondary and then somehow convert it to a primary....

I saw on an older post where someone claimed they did this but they never explained how they did it...

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=132553

Comment

I have a pair of the 5 button scene controllers, worked great in HS2, imported ok into HS3, but unable to get them to sync w/ HS. I use the controllers to trigger events, then have the events reset the controller state.
                        Attached Files
                        Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Working...
                        X