No announcement yet.

Vera sub-forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any other advantages with the pro version except the add-ons listed on the HS site (see below)? If not I'll probably go with the standard version for now as suggested.

HSTouch Designer
    UPB
    ADIO-100
    Global Cache
    Square Connect
    WGL Rain8
    DSC Security
    Current Cost Envi

When HS have their sales, is it just the HS software or the add-ons as well (ImperiHome etc.)?

Comment

Just spent the past week (nights after work..) converting from Vera3 UI5 to HomeSeer. (Have had Vera3 for 4 years now..)

I have about 20~ zWave devices, DSC Alarm, GlobalCache Relay for Garage door.

Was very smooth and rebuilt everything over the past week. I am extremely pleased with HomeSeer so far compared to Vera3.

My only negative feelings is around iphone control. In the Vera World there were several apps to choose from and pretty customizable with ease I used HomeWave and was very happy with what you could do there.

I went HS3 Pro and have built a UI for HS3Touch which is great but wow what a hot mess to build stuff. I do like the HS3Touch with my design but it did take a lot of learning and playing to get things right. ImperiHome is ok.. but not enough customization.

Does anyone have other options for an IOS control app?

m

Comment

Originally posted by mjolsen View Post
        Just spent the past week (nights after work..) converting from Vera3 UI5 to HomeSeer. (Have had Vera3 for 4 years now..)

I have about 20~ zWave devices, DSC Alarm, GlobalCache Relay for Garage door.

Was very smooth and rebuilt everything over the past week. I am extremely pleased with HomeSeer so far compared to Vera3.

My only negative feelings is around iphone control. In the Vera World there were several apps to choose from and pretty customizable with ease I used HomeWave and was very happy with what you could do there.

I went HS3 Pro and have built a UI for HS3Touch which is great but wow what a hot mess to build stuff. I do like the HS3Touch with my design but it did take a lot of learning and playing to get things right. ImperiHome is ok.. but not enough customization.

Does anyone have other options for an IOS control app?

m
        The plugin is a bit pricey (considering the phone app is significantly cheaper), but you could use Imperihome. Spud is very responsive to issues with the plugin, so that alone is worth the price (not that he just wrote the plugin to talk to ImperiHome, Imperihome is created by someone else).

Comment

Originally posted by Freddan101 View Post
          Are there any other advantages with the pro version except the add-ons listed on the HS site (see below)? If not I'll probably go with the standard version for now as suggested.

HSTouch Designer
          UPB
          ADIO-100
          Global Cache
          Square Connect
          WGL Rain8
          DSC Security
          Current Cost Envi

When HS have their sales, is it just the HS software or the add-ons as well (ImperiHome etc.)?

The sale only is for the HS plugins. Not 3rd party plugins.

Personally I don't see any purpose to pro and purchased standard and designer by itself when everything was on sale.

Only plugins I use from HS are zwave and HSTouch. The rest I gladly paid the developer the full price for them and with very few bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
            The sale only is for the HS plugins. Not 3rd party plugins.

Personally I don't see any purpose to pro and purchased standard and designer by itself when everything was on sale.

Only plugins I use from HS are zwave and HSTouch. The rest I gladly paid the developer the full price for them and with very few bugs.
            Sounds like this would suit me as well.

I just ordered a Z-Wave.me stick so I will soon be able to try HS out. I'll probably install it on my desktop PC and hopefully I'll be able to move the installation to a dedicated machine in the future without to much hassle.

Comment

Coming from the Vera line of products, the biggest thing I have found far more difficult to implement is Vera's Home/Away/etc. system.

I do not have a full alarm system that HS can tie into, but previously I would use a network of motion sensors, glass break and door sensors. When leaving they would be triggered and if they changed state, sirens, alerts and so on would trigger.

In HS, I have not figured out how to write an event where I don't have to craft the same trigger for every single device depending on my 'occupancy' virtual device, AND if I stack a huge list of "if __ changes state' I haven't figured out how to setup alerts so that I am notified as to WHAT changed state, not just one big alert firing.

Likely, I'm missing something. I've searched, but most results are for how to do away/home (e.g. geofencing or tie it to an alarm system). Has anyone replicated this feature?

Thanks!

Comment

Vera sub-forum

I've got full home, away, night and holiday mode setup.
                I use motion and door sensors for each mode and a time for night.
                Holiday is set manually.
                Home is any movement in the house after 5am until night.
                Night is no movement for an hour at anytime after 10pm.
                Away is no movement for an hour during home mode.
                Although Vera did that well the homeseer software allows more reliable and flexible scenarios.

Also using the bblan plug in I detect if a phone is at home.
                I tried IFTTT too but decided it wasn't fast enough

Comment

Originally posted by gd1210 View Post
                  Away is no movement for an hour during home mode.
                  Although Vera did that well the homeseer software allows more reliable and flexible scenarios.
                  Yes. Reliable and flexible maybe but everything I'm reading Vera has the upperhand here. And, an hour?! That is an ungodly amount of time for someone to be able to get into the house.

Comment

The hour works for us, if I'm leaving I generally press away on the phone or touch screen but if we have guests or someone forgets then it sets itself. I could reduce it but I don't have a sensor in the bedrooms for example.

I've tried geotagging but our lifestyle means we don't always carry the phones.
                    Also sitting watching the telly means I sometimes didn't move from the sofa for an hour.
                    If I had time I'd come up with something else as if even tested rfid and will implement that next. It work just now but I need to fine tune it before giving the rest of the family tags.

Vera failed on me more than once. I've learned after using many systems each have a feature that stands out as good.

Comment

I am a recovering Vera 3 UI5 user as well since 2012. This section in the forum is great and some nice ideas. Thanks guys

I too was "bothered" by the pricey HS3 until I was reading a post on the Vera forums "Fed up with Vera". One of the guys on there was complaining about his $10,000 worth of automation equipment wasn't stable on Vera. Another user put it in perspective...........using a $150 Vera to make sure the other $10,000 goes right!!!!!! Another equated it to parking your Ferrari at your $1M house in a car port.

I too have come to see the light about getting what you pay for.
                      Last edited by thewizardofoz; March 14, 2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I didn't see an answer to the question about Vera alerts.
                        There was mention of Pushover. Is that the way to go?
                        Everything else that I want to use is available in HS3 and I am happy with it so far.
                        I am looking forward to get my Harmony Hub and Alexa in the mix too.
                        Has anybody tried out the AirPlay plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by gd1210 View Post
                          The hour works for us, if I'm leaving I generally press away on the phone or touch screen but if we have guests or someone forgets then it sets itself. I could reduce it but I don't have a sensor in the bedrooms for example.

I've tried geotagging but our lifestyle means we don't always carry the phones.
                          Also sitting watching the telly means I sometimes didn't move from the sofa for an hour.
                          If I had time I'd come up with something else as if even tested rfid and will implement that next. It work just now but I need to fine tune it before giving the rest of the family tags.

Vera failed on me more than once. I've learned after using many systems each have a feature that stands out as good.
                          The issue I'm really trying to solve, I guess, is what I mentioned in my post.

I can write individual events that push notifications to my phone, email, etc. if a motion detector is triggered (changes state), but it appears that if I want the notification to explicitly state which sensor was triggered, I will have to write a unique event for every single motion sensor.

If I want to avoid that; It will still be a very long block of IF, OR IF statements but with one group action. to Send Email/etc.

Unlike Vera, I cannot seem to have it go "away" then tell me which device changed state easily.

And if, god forbid, I add a sensor, replace or upgrade, much of that may need to be re-written.

Comment

I have my home / away / night etc statuses in a group.
                            There is then a group action that sends the status of everything in the house.
                            Took about half an hour to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeves View Post
                              The issue I'm really trying to solve, I guess, is what I mentioned in my post.

I can write individual events that push notifications to my phone, email, etc. if a motion detector is triggered (changes state), but it appears that if I want the notification to explicitly state which sensor was triggered, I will have to write a unique event for every single motion sensor.

If I want to avoid that; It will still be a very long block of IF, OR IF statements but with one group action. to Send Email/etc.

Unlike Vera, I cannot seem to have it go "away" then tell me which device changed state easily.

And if, god forbid, I add a sensor, replace or upgrade, much of that may need to be re-written.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this can be done via script.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X