HAi,UPB, zwave, x10 and homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAi,UPB, zwave, x10 and homeseer?

I've been an avid HAI fan/user for years, and have an OMNI II Pro. I bought a new house in Dec 2015 and decided to automate it top to bottom. I use UPB for ALL internal and external lighting, Zwave for thermostats and Schlague door locks and 2 Linear garage door controllers, and x10 for christmas lighting (because i had a ton of modules from my previous home), and IP cameras. (and have spent a small fortune)
    To date, i've been unable to get the omni and the zwave to play together because of the new zwave protocol and Leviton's lack of ability to support it...and don't get me started on remote access via iPhone app without a static IP. *
    I even moved to the VeraEdge for z-wave under the premise that it will connect to the OMNI via a plugin, which i found much later that it will not allow the omni to control the thermostats - and thus causes the plugin to crash...so that never worked. *So i have an app for the omni, and an app for the vera...not ideal.
    I've been considering moving away from the Omni being the "HUB" of the system and maybe move to the HomeSeer system. *By what i've read, it will integrate with the Omni, and take over the brains of automation control and let everything play together better and have one app to control it all.
    My question is - has anyone tried this? *If so what all will I need to make this work? *Will my existing UPB and X10 pims work with*HomeSeer HomeTroller S6 PRO, or do i have to buy something different. *I think i'll also need the*HomeSeer Z-NET Remote Z-Wave Plus Interface to program and manage the zwave devices but not sure.
    Im open to suggestions - and i'd like this thing to finally "just work" and stop spending money on it!

Originally posted by Derek View Post
    I've been an avid HAI fan/user for years, and have an OMNI II Pro. I bought a new house in Dec 2015 and decided to automate it top to bottom. I use UPB for ALL internal and external lighting, Zwave for thermostats and Schlague door locks and 2 Linear garage door controllers, and x10 for christmas lighting (because i had a ton of modules from my previous home), and IP cameras. (and have spent a small fortune)
    I've been considering moving away from the Omni being the "HUB" of the system and maybe move to the HomeSeer system. . . .My question is - has anyone tried this? *If so what all will I need to make this work?
    Welcome to the Homeseer Board. The short answer to your overall question is a definite yes, Homeseer will allow you to accomplish what you have in mind, with the possible exception of allowing you to "stop spending money on it". (For most of us, home automation is an addictive hobby that always needs one more capability added. )

I cannot answer your specific questions in detail, but reading your post made the name of one of the board's most prolific members pop into my head. His name is Pete, and he probably has personal experience with every piece of technology you are asking about. If he doesn't see this post, you can always find him on the 'Off Topic' forum and direct his attention to your questions.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

@Derek,

Welcome to the Homeseer forum.

Thinking you posted on Cocoontech too relating to Leviton / HAI support of new stuff on the VRCOP / OP2 panel.

I do not think that Leviton / HAI will ever support any more than the basics on the HAI OP2 VRCOP Z-Wave stuff. This is the same too with the HAI Zigbee ZIM. It is this way because the security pieces of the panel are configured for wired zones or security standard wireless devices. Both have thermostat / door lock stuff plus access card stuff. Currently here have configured 16X3 zones and have connected the two HAI wireless transceivers (but do not utilize them). 2nd panel have one wireless transceiver connected to one FOB only. (so really not using it for much).

Most likely there will never be any support from Leviton / HAI panels for wireless Z-Wave PIR's, temperature sensors or any security related stuff because it is already there on the panel via the standard security pieces already built in.

Here went to hard wired 4-wire smokes which was a PITA. That said there is and has been standard security panel wireless smokes / CO detectors around now for many years.

Here have X10 (XTB), UPB, VRCOP and Zigbee ZIM connected to the OP2 panel. Been using the OP2 since the early 2000's. I also have been using Homeseer since 1998. Homeseer has complemented the OP2 functions taking automation up a few notches. That said the OP2 manages the heartbeat of the home with no dependencies on HS2 or HS3 especially relating to any security pieces.

I have been able to replicate my HS3 Z-Wave network (one of many for lighting only) to the VRCOP and it works fine. BUT I cannot see status controller to controller which does ding my efforts with Z-Wave.

My Zigbee ZIM sees more than the panel sees and I do not think that will ever change.

Relating to HS3 here use HS3 lite and HS3 Pro on Linux. I have UPB, X10 and Z-Wave configured. Interplay between UPB/X10 on HS3 / HAI panel is fine. Z-Wave due the the methodologies / design of the Z-Wave protocal does not. Zigbee will not either.

With Homeseer I utilize MS SAPI, VR, Kinect, Alexa, Amazon Echo, HSTouch and other analog to digital mechanisms of automation. The HAI HS3 plugin adds to the ability of the HS addendums for even more stuff. Still a bit old fashioned here where there will never be a wireless keypad or touchscreen console to the OP2 panel as I do not really want any dependencies on this for security reasons.

CCTV runs on it's own and I can access it fine from the Omnitouch stuff or HSTouch stuff which adds much to the base. Nothing fancy there and it works just fine for me.

That said I also have 4 combo Zigbee and Z-Wave controllers with built in OS. These all work fine BUT they do not see each other's network.
      Last edited by Pete; August 21, 2016, 12:30 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HS3 OR HS3 PI

Good morning Pete,

Simple question, what are the main differences between the HS3 and the HS3PI.

In other words, what can be done with HS3 that you can't do with HS3PI.

Dom

Comment

Good morning Dom,

HS3 Pi is HS3 lite which allows for up to 5 plug ins. It can do anything HS3 Standard can do limited by CPU/Memory/5 plugins and any amount of scripts.

This version only runs on Linux and I have tested it to work fine on RPi Wheezy / Jessie / Ubuntu ARM CPUs and Ubuntu Intel/AMD CPUs.

BTW switched my HS3 lite build to a mini computer with an SSD and testing the Pine64/2Gb computer that will also fit fine inside of the HAI can. I personally like running the OS on an SSD versus a microSD card. Both of the new test machines are running Ubuntu 16.04 64bit server. That is me and my tinkering though.

HS3 Standard - Unlimited plugins purchased a la carte. Works in Linux or Windows

HS3 Pro - comes stock fully featured - HS plugins included - Works in Linux or Windows

Currently running HS3 Pro on an mITX board Intel iSeries CPU / 16Gb Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit machine in a mini case. It is bigger than the RPi, Xi3 and Pine64 computers.

Been playing here with the HS3 HAI plugin thermostat stuff. Looks way better than my Omnitouch 5.7 and Omnitouch 5.7e screens.

Trying to keep it simple right now. May change the thermostat to fill in the page (larger) and remove the home button and rest of the stuff you see here.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pete; August 23, 2016, 04:03 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X