Vera user - two quick questions to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the trial phase and am slowing figuring a few things out.

I was hoping to run HS3 on a Asus VivoStick i have with the Aeotec USB Stick. All seems to be working really well... and this setup allows me to easily put the device in my wiring closet, where my alarm (Vista) panel is.. so i can run a USB to that (via AD@USB).

My issue is that the Asus has only 2GB of RAM... and if i look at perfmon, i'm showing 75%+ memory utilization. Since this is the ONLY think (along with plugins) i'm going to run, will this be enough power?

And, along same lines... what plugin will show me system stats (like Sys+monitor in Vera) so i can see CPU and Ram usage?

Is my other alternative, albeit more expensive, to run HS3 on my server box,and place a Zee in the closet to connect to router and Alarm panel?

thanks for thoughts.

I run my setup on a dual core box with 4 gigs of ram and it runs fine. I also have about 400 events and 800 devices with roughly 20 plugins running.

I think as you start this will be fine, but you will find if you start packing on plugins, that is where your memory will start getting eaten up.

Personally, I would probably do at least 4 gigs of ram, but if your system will remain small, you probably could get away with 2 gigs. You can always start with this and move your setup fairly easily to a new system if you find performance to be lacking. As far as monitoring the computer Jon00 has a plugin that does what you are requesting. It's called PerfMonHS3... do a search for it.

As far as your alarm. You will probably need a device to make an ethernet connection so it can connect to your network and use one of the provided plugins to integrate. I personally use the Envisalink device for my DSC alarm and I think they make the same for the Vista alarms. So it really doesn't make a difference where you put your HS server as long as everything is connected via network (unless you plan on using serial devices).

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
      And, along same lines... what plugin will show me system stats (like Sys+monitor in Vera) so i can see CPU and Ram usage?
      Try Jon00's Performance Monitor.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158286

Comment

I'm in the trial phase and am slowing figuring a few things out.

I was hoping to run HS3 on a Asus VivoStick i have with the Aeotec USB Stick. All seems to be working really well... and this setup allows me to easily put the device in my wiring closet, where my alarm (Vista) panel is.. so i can run a USB to that (via AD@USB).

My issue is that the Asus has only 2GB of RAM... and if i look at perfmon, i'm showing 75%+ memory utilization. Since this is the ONLY think (along with plugins) i'm going to run, will this be enough power?

Is my other alternative, albeit more expensive, to run HS3 on my server box,and place a Zee in the closet to connect to router and Alarm panel?

thanks for thoughts.

Which operating system are you using? 75% memory utilization means you don't have much space to grow on that box.

What services are you allowing to remain running? Out of the box windows OS is a hog for memory. There are a lot of prettyfying services you can disable the will free up processor time as well as memory.

Waynehead99's point regarding HS3 is spot on, you can always move HS3 into a bigger system as you grow.

I am running HS3 standard for linux on a raspberry Pi 3 (4 core 1.2 GHz with 1 Gigabyte of RAM) with Raspbian Jessie lite 4.4. I have 55 devices and 35 events. I am running 4 plugins in HS3 and homebridge on the OS, and my memory is stable around 550MB used. It all runs smooth.
        I will note that I first built my HS3 server with the full version of Raspbian Jessie, after rebuilding it on Jessie lite I found that I was able save some 80 MB of RAM.
        I am sure that I will eventually need to migrate to a bigger system at which point I will likely either buy or build a mini PC, and throw Ubuntu/Debian Linux on it, and consolidate a few of the other services I host on RPIs on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all.

Makes sense. I was just trying to use the Vivostick because it's small and could easily be located next to my router and alarm panel. I connect to my panel on Vera with USB to a AD2USB device for my Ademco alarm. So, if I can't put the HS3 box in the same closet, i'll need to run a USB cable (balun over cat5) from a bigger HS3 Server located somewhere else in my house.

Or, I think I could go the Zee route, connect that to my router, and use on of the USB ports to the alarm panel (via AD2USB). Just more money.

The issue with the Vivostick is that you can't upgrade the memory.
          https://www.asus.com/Stick-PCs/VivoStick-PC-TS10/

Comment

Why not just run it on your your server and use this plugin and and hardware to connect to your panel? http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1202

USB devices are are always messy.
            Originally posted by rprade
            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
              Why not just run it on your your server and use this plugin and and hardware to connect to your panel? http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1202

USB devices are are always messy.
              hadn't seen that before... good plan B. Problem is that I've already invested in the AD2USB, which looks to be pretty much the same thing for the most part - just uses a USB connection.

Alas... this move from Vera just keeps getting more expensive :-)

Comment

hadn't seen that before... good plan B. Problem is that I've already invested in the AD2USB, which looks to be pretty much the same thing for the most part - just uses a USB connection.

Alas... this move from Vera just keeps getting more expensive :-)
                I am also a Vera ex user and know your pain. The plugins are pricey, but without them and the good people that built them, HS wouldn't be what it could be. Most of the plugins I have are paid for. I purchased what I needed immediately to mimic what I had in Vera, and the others I have purchased over time as needed. At the end of the day, It is the "you get what you pay for" and it's true here.

Also as far as the alarm, as I mentioned earlier, I am using the envisalink that S-F linked to, though mine is for DSC panel and not Vista. Same plugin developer for each so I would assume they work identical. I can say it's worked like a champ without issue. If you have to go that route, you can safely do it with minimal configuration changes.

Comment

So how is this progressing? I'm in the early stages of considering jumping ship.

Especially with the sales coming up

Comment

I've made the purchase of the software and a Znet (not yet here) as well as two plugins. but moving very slow just to learn first.

It's pretty immediate how much more (or at least easier) you can do. PLEG like functionality is built in and easier to get (which is why I didn't do much with PLEG).

Haven't figured out my alarm choice yet. Setup the GCitach this weekend.... was much easier - almost laughingly so.

I run a very extensive setup on Imperihome, so i'm just now starting to play a bit with that functionality.

My main goal is to play with some of the trickier automation things I've done to make sure I can get them working, then start making the move.

As for support, I've emailed HS 4x, and always gotten a reply within a few hours. Forum support is equal to Vera's... which is a compliment in my case.

In fact, it's almost like a reunion at times with some of old Vera posters here on HS helping me out.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post
                      So how is this progressing? I'm in the early stages of considering jumping ship.

Especially with the sales coming up
                      Just. Do. It.

I've been on Homeseer for 1.5 years coming off of Vera. While I miss some of Richard's plugins (vera alerts and vera proximity were pretty darn good), there are alternatives in Homeseer.

I'm not so sure it was worth it for me to buy the "pro" version though as I don't use HSTouch and I don't use many if any of the HST created plugins (I use mostly, if not all, third party plugins).

Comment

PS. The logs are just so much easier to read :-)

AND.... this is my biggest "like" so far. No major reload after every little step. In fact, more often than not you just make the change and move on. that is almost worth the upgrade alone.

Comment

AND.... this is my biggest "like" so far. No major reload after every little step. In fact, more often than not you just make the change and move on. that is almost worth the upgrade alone.
                          I had completely forgot about that with the Vera! I must've blocked it out

Comment

Thanks everybody. I had a helluva time getting registered for this forum, but I'm guessing the HS software will be easier for me to learn . . .

Comment

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post
                              Thanks everybody. I had a helluva time getting registered for this forum, but I'm guessing the HS software will be easier for me to learn . . .
                              It's "Different" than Vera so there is a learning curve. You have to start to think of things in a different way than you did it on the Vera, but it won't take long.

For a while though after switching I would still think of things in terms of "PLEG"...LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X