Z-Tool causing high CPU issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Tool causing high CPU issues

Rich / Mark, rjh Could one of you take a look into what is causing the CPU to jump to 50% usage or more when I use Z-Tool to add a device? I've gotten to the point where I don't even use it anymore because there is a 100% chance that it will cause my hometroller S6Pro to have this issue. The Z-Tool is such a great idea and I would hate to see it get forgotten.
    Thanks guys!
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
    Rich / Mark, rjh Could one of you take a look into what is causing the CPU to jump to 50% usage or more when I use Z-Tool to add a device? I've gotten to the point where I don't even use it anymore because there is a 100% chance that it will cause my hometroller S6Pro to have this issue. The Z-Tool is such a great idea and I would hate to see it get forgotten.
    Thanks guys!
    Not sure I understand the problem. if your CPU jumps to 50% while you're using Z-Tool+ and then it reverts back to normal usage when you disconnect Z-Tool, is that really a problem? Z-Tool+ is only designed to be used when adding devices to your network. That's not something that happens too frequently, right?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post

Not sure I understand the problem. if your CPU jumps to 50% while you're using Z-Tool+ and then it reverts back to normal usage when you disconnect Z-Tool, is that really a problem? Z-Tool+ is only designed to be used when adding devices to your network. That's not something that happens too frequently, right?
      Hey Mark,
      Sorry, I didn't explain the issue well. This issue has been around for quite a while and has been documented in a few places in the forum but hasn't been addressed yet. The issue is that when anyone uses Z-Tool to add a new device everything adds correctly but what you don't notice right away is that the CPU usage will jump to anywhere from 50% on up and stay pegged at that level until HS3 or the zwave plugin has been rebooted. It doesn't just stay at that level while using Z-Tool. Most don't notice right away until the high CPU usage causes other issues. Adding a device doesn't happen frequently, however, once Z-Tool is used to add a device, the affects last until reboot.

I know that has documented the issue in some of the HS3 beta threads as well.
      Plugin's:

Comment

i just tried it on the test system in my office and couldn't replicate the problem. The test system is a HomeTroller S6 PRO running Windows 7e. I opened the task manager on the unit and then put Z-Tool into inclusion mode and added a plug-in switch to the system. CPU spiked momentarily at about 50% and then settled back to low usage. Here's the graph.

Click image for larger version

Name:	task-mgr-Z-Tool.png
Views:	618
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1284372

So... guessing this must be system-specific. What are you using and how did you produce the problem?

Comment

I’m using a Hometroller S6 Pro with the same OS. How many devices are on the system you added a device to? Try adding another device, it has happened on several systems so I’m surprised you aren’t seeing this issue....yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Plugin's:

Comment

Rich also tried it and couldn't replicate it on his development system. Does it only happen with Z-Tool or does it also happen with the standard web-based inclusion process?

Comment

Rich also tried it and couldn't replicate it on his development system. Does it only happen with Z-Tool or does it also happen with the standard web-based inclusion process?
              Yes, it can happen with the web based inclusion process as well but not as often as I’ve experienced with Z-Tool. I personally haven’t experienced it except for maybe once or twice with the web interface but I have seen others post that they have.

In my experience, I would guess it’s shown up 85% using Z-Tool and maybe 10% using the web based process.

All of my devices are z-wave+ devices, not sure if that matters or not but thought I would mention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Plugin's:

Comment

It can happen with either method, so it is not a Z-Tool issue. I have not needed to include or exclude a Z-Wave device in many months, but the last time I did include a second device, the Z-Wave plug-in went to 40-60% CPU. It can also happen when doing a manual backup of a Z-Wave controller. Sometimes the CPU utilization will settle down on its own, other times the system or plug-in needs to be restarted.

I will see if I can make it happen again this weekend. My system has consistently exhibited this behavior for at least a couple of years. Sometimes it has gone so wonky that I have to restart before I can work with a 3rd device.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  It can happen with either method, so it is not a Z-Tool issue. I have not needed to include or exclude a Z-Wave device in many months, but the last time I did include a second device, the Z-Wave plug-in went to 40-60% CPU. It can also happen when doing a manual backup of a Z-Wave controller. Sometimes the CPU utilization will settle down on its own, other times the system or plug-in needs to be restarted.

I will see if I can make it happen again this weekend. My system has consistently exhibited this behavior for at least a couple of years. Sometimes it has gone so wonky that I have to restart before I can work with a 3rd device.
                  Hey Randy, did you happen to have a chance to send Rich logs on this? I'm frustrated that it happened to me again last week while I was using the Web interface but didn't have a chance to get the logs. Our dog just had back surgery and my wife and I have been trying to keep up with everything we need to do for her. I may be buying a couple of dry contact switches soon so will try again when those arrive.

Just don't want to lose track of this, it has been something needing to be fixed for a while.
                  Plugin's:

Comment

Hey Randy, did you happen to have a chance to send Rich logs on this? I'm frustrated that it happened to me again last week while I was using the Web interface but didn't have a chance to get the logs. Our dog just had back surgery and my wife and I have been trying to keep up with everything we need to do for her. I may be buying a couple of dry contact switches soon so will try again when those arrive.

Just don't want to lose track of this, it has been something needing to be fixed for a while.
                    I haven’t tried again since the above post. I’m waiting on 4 HS-WD200+ dimmers to swap out some HSWD100+. I’ll let Rich know if I can cause the issue again.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I added three new sensors tonight and my z-wave plugin was using about 13% CPU on my system after doing so. I had to shut down and restart the plugin for it to drop back to the 0-1% it normally runs at. I run HS on an 8-core I7 system with 8 GB of RAM.
                      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                        I added three new sensors tonight and my z-wave plugin was using about 13% CPU on my system after doing so. I had to shut down and restart the plugin for it to drop back to the 0-1% it normally runs at. I run HS on an 8-core I7 system with 8 GB of RAM.
                        If you still have the logs to send Rich that would be great!rjh

Plugin's:

Comment

If you still have the logs to send Rich that would be great! @rjh

Do you know what logs he needs? I did not have any kind of debugging turned on, and there’s nothing unusual in the event log related to adding the three sensors.
                          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I too have this behavior with Z-Tool+ to where I now only use the web interface. I have only used z-tool+ on my Android Phone. HS3 is running on Linux. I typically restart the Z-Wave plug-in to correct it. I tried it today to capture information if helpful. From the attached image, it's clearly only the z-wave mono process never returning to normal cpu.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	596
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1292870

Overall server cpu jumps and never returns to normal either.

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	686
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1292871
                            Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                            Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                            Number of Devices: 633
                            Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                            2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                            2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                            3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                            30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                            3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                            3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                            3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
                              I too have this behavior with Z-Tool+ to where I now only use the web interface. I have only used z-tool+ on my Android Phone. HS3 is running on Linux. I typically restart the Z-Wave plug-in to correct it. I tried it today to capture information if helpful. From the attached image, it's clearly only the z-wave mono process never returning to normal cpu.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	596
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1292870

Overall server cpu jumps and never returns to normal either.

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	686
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1292871
                              rjh What information would best help you troubleshoot this issue? sparkman wasn’t able to see anything in his logs and the only place I can see it is in the task manager.
                              Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Plugin's:

Comment

Working...
                              X