Errant Node Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errant Node Removal

So I was trying to remove a dead WD100. I put Z-Tool+ into remove mode and before I could do anything else, it said it found a node and was removing node 2. "WTH! STOP!" Node 2 (whatever it was...) is gone.

This sort of thing has happened a few times over the years when I had to remove a node for one reason or another. Is there a way to keep this from happening? This time its a PITA as I have no idea what node 2 was. Obviously it was probably important since it was the first thing I added to my network 5 years ago, but what it was I have no clue. I'll just have to wait until an even fails or something. ANYWAY, if there is a way to prevent this, I would really like to hear about it! TIA!!

Update: Node 2 was a Multi-Sensor and was flashing like crazy on the wiring closet wall! It is now node 198. Still don't know what caused it to be removed.....

Why would you use ZTool to remove a dead node?? Just goto the dead device's page, Z-wave tab, Remove Bad Node.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
      Why would you use ZTool to remove a dead node?? Just goto the dead device's page, Z-wave tab, Remove Bad Node.
      Two reasons. 1) That is a function of Ztool and 2) I was also installing a WX300 right next to it so there I was with my phone and 50' from a PC.

Comment

I pretty much do all of my Z-Wave maintenance with a tablet using a web browser and the HS4 web UI. For me, the fewer variables in the process the better.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

Two reasons. 1) That is a function of Ztool and 2) I was also installing a WX300 right next to it so there I was with my phone and 50' from a PC.
          Ahh, ok. I can see the confusion and HST really should clarify that the tool is only for normal inclusion and exclusion., that is, it's a normally functioning device which can respond to network inclusion and exclusion commands. A bad device cannot respond, something else in your network was/went into exclusion mode and responded, hence why the process messed up. Many switches/dimmers/etc can be excluded by simply tapping their paddle while the controller is in exclusion mode.

Again, the function of ZTool is *not* to remove bad (non-responding) nodes.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
            Again, the function of ZTool is *not* to remove bad (non-responding) nodes.
            I didn't say it was non-responding. I said it was dead. It's been dying for a long time and reloading the firmware usually fixed it. Not this time.

A bad device CAN respond depending on what is wrong with it. I have replaced nearly every Wx100 I have. Some of them communicated, some did not. This one did, and when I went to remove it, a completely different node was removed. I guess it will remain a mystery how an HSM200 that is stuck in a power strip at the top of an 8' wall in a secure wiring closet got put into exclude mode.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
              I pretty much do all of my Z-Wave maintenance with a tablet using a web browser and the HS4 web UI. For me, the fewer variables in the process the better.
              That is a better way. I just don't have a decent tablet any more. Since phones are so big now, I haven't had a need for one. ...well, that I recognized! Maybe its time....

Comment

Working...
              X