New Homeseer 3 Lite computer DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Homeseer 3 Lite computer DIY

Just a document relating to a recent new build of a Homeseer lite server (will also work with HS3 Standard or Pro).
    Primarily though this is a light Intel Based low powered computer. Just right for running HS3 Lite. Or HS3 Pro or standard with a few plugins.

I have built two of these and currently running one as my HS3 Lite server. It is sold as an Intel based Windows 10 TVBox.
    I found it slow for streaming HD 4K. Here switched over to a lighter S912 based TVBox for running KODI which does do HD 4K streaming.
    Last testing was with a lite Pipo X7 which only had a 32Gb eMMC and 2Gb of DDR3 RAM and Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

Hardware:

1 - Beelink BT3 Pro - Current prices vary from ~ $100 to $150 USD. Here purchased mine new for $65.
    Specs:
    • BT3 PRO II come with Intel Atom x5-Z8350 quad-core 64-bit processor (2M cache, up to 1.92 GHz) and Intel HD Graphics 400,has a powerful processor for support office or as a media PC.
    • Configure 4GB of memory and 64GB of built-in storage,have enough storage space for daily office.And with one SD card socket,support expand 128GB SD.
    • With dual band wifi (2.4G & 5.8G) and Gigabit Ethernet LANs to operate the Internet, streaming and audio perfectly.Support Bluetooth 4.0 and with 4*USB interface,support for connections from multiple wireless devices.
    • Dual Screen Display VGA and HDMI dual output interface of signal,make videos and pictures more vivid .We can carry out daily office work through two displays.
    • Beelink BT3 PRO II is a fenless and no noise mini pc,small size and support VESA mount ,simple installation can be a good operation, replace the large mainframe with provide a comfortable environment.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	beelink-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.5 KB ID:	1322407

Click image for larger version  Name:	beelink-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	1322408
    OS

The Beelink comes with a licensed version of Windows 10 Home 64 bit on a 64Gb eMMC. Here reduced the W10 partition to around 35Gb or so and installed Ubuntu 18.04 on it. Ideally you want to remove the W10 partition and use the entire 64Gb eMMC for Ubuntu.

- LUbuntu 18.04 64 bit (adding Mono for Homeseer)
    - VNC remote desktop server
    - Oracle Virtual Box running Windows 7 embedded for SAPI use

1 - Boot up in Windows 10. I decided here not to update it. Just validated it. Installed two applications to thin out Windows 10 in vivo.
    A - Install Revo Uninstaller free - remove excess fluff (optional)
    B - Install Partition Manager Free - IE: MiniTools Partition Wizard Free - reduce size of Windows 10 partition to smallest possible.

After the above you will end up with around 38Gb WIndows partition and around 26 Gb of free partition space.

1 - Create an LUbuntu 18.04 USB boot stick and boot up with it.
    A - you have the option here of formatting the entire 64Gb eMMC or installing Ubuntu along side of Windows 10.
    2 - Install LUbuntu 18.04 and reboot computer. You will see the option to boot to Ubuntu or Windows - choose Ubuntu.

Automation software
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Pete,

This looks great - Wondering how many watts of electricity this is consuming? As well, how do the CPU/memory resources look running HS? Do you think I can run 20 plugins and an e-mail server on this running Win2k16?

Always looking for a smaller yet powerful enough system.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Wondering how many watts of electricity this is consuming?

The CPU consumes around 2 watts. Specs show 10 watts for computer.

As well, how do the CPU/memory resources look running HS?

Pushing on the computer as it is running HS3 Lite and Home Assistant. It is doing fine.

Not sure how it would running 20 plugins. It would Windows 2016 and an Email server fine as it is way lighter than Windows 10.

Currently running Windows 2016 on an i5 Haswell and use it primarily as an RDP for all windows stuff these days.

Desktop and laptops all run Ubuntu 18.04 (well dual booting to Windows 10 which I do not use anymore).

That said the OS is running on a 64Gb eMMC.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit and an Oracle Windows 7 embedded virtual box.

Newer line is using newest Intel Celeron which would run faster than the Atom on this computer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Beelink.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	1322419

xxx
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

What exactly is hs3 lite?

Comment

Zee2 RPi version which is not available for Windows and allows up to 5 plugins.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Update 4th of September, 2019

Today ran out of space on the ~ 40Gb Ubuntu partiton and deleted the unused Windows 10 partition to give me 64Gb of space.

and

added a 32Gb SD card to use for my /home directory and Virtual box storage.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
            X