Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know that I agree with this statement. Events are powerful for sure, but the triggers and action logic is lacking from how other controller handle this. If it is so great, then why are many other HS users moving to NodeRed or still using another controller for Event logic?

Example from another thread I have seen countless times.
    Yes, move the complete event processing to NodeRed to greatly simplify your events.

I am trying to make the Event logic work on my side and I keep coming back to a custom script as it does not allow me to do what I want with the native Event triggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmurph213 View Post
      If it is so great, then why are many other HS users moving to NodeRed or still using another controller for Event logic?
      My guess would be because NodeRed is the new shiny thing and a lot of people are easily distracted.

I won't pretend that HS' event editing UI is the easiest thing to use, but it's never been outright impossible for me to do what I wanted to do (with the exception of comparing device values with each other, which I had to write a plug-in for).

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. McKay View Post
        Events can have multiple conditions and triggers. This is how I would implement that schedule.
        Right.... but....

What if one wants to reuse that schedule for multiple events? Everything from controlling light levels to adjusting HVAC temperatures. That means one has to reproduce those times over and over in different events... and then what happens when the schedule changes....

Or one could simply reference the schedule object, if it existed in HS4.

Again, Easy Trigger solves this, including comparing device values and setting device values based on mathematical expressions that can utilize device values and other objects in HS.

Comment

You could simply create one event with the schedule conditions, and as its action have it run a number of other events whose conditions are "This event is manually triggered."

Comment

I'm confused as to what the complaint is here... HS' biggest strength is its incredibly powerful events engine. There is no practical difference between an expiring code and an event that deletes a code on a schedule. Z-Wave locks don't have any concept of an expiring code, so it can only be done with a schedule to delete the code, which is exactly what events are for.
            Here's some clarification:

HS - a guest books my holiday home and you're saying I should create an event to create their code at the appropriate time and date and then another to remove it at the appropriate time and date, in addition to also having events for other upcoming guests oh and also don't forget to clean all those manual events up later.

Vera - guest Joe Bloggs using code xxxxxx from xx:xx on xx/xx/xxxx to yy:yy on yy/yy/yyyyy

You could argue that it makes sense that you manually create a heap of events for all the guests over coming weeks.

I would argue that you could also wash your clothes using a river and rocks. I'm sure you wouldn't do that, and I sure as hell ain't got time to stuff around with maniually coding crap up for every single guest.... it's called Home Automation

If a product as crap as Vera can happily take care of creating and removing lock codes on schedules without having to manually code stuff you'd think this would be an absolute piss for HS yeah?

Comment

For that use-case, it sounds like Vera would provide a more pleasant UI for you. HS is certainly capable, but for one-off codes like that, I'd agree that it's not ideal.

That said, when you're creating an event, you can tick the "Remove event after trigger" box under advanced options, which will take care of the clean-up for you. So all you need to do is create those check-in and check-out events for your guests and they'll be cleaned up automatically.

Comment

For that use-case, it sounds like Vera would provide a more pleasant UI for you. HS is certainly capable, but for one-off codes like that, I'd agree that it's not ideal.

That said, when you're creating an event, you can tick the "Remove event after trigger" box under advanced options, which will take care of the clean-up for you. So all you need to do is create those check-in and check-out events for your guests and they'll be cleaned up automatically.
                You still don't get it. Read what Tillsy wrote. One entry on Vera for the lock code entry.
                As you stated, on HS two events for check-in and check-out.

We all know HS is capable of many things, but the point that keeps going over your head is that some of us don't want to be tied to our home automation system constantly tweaking things. It's obviously a different experience for you, you even said you wrote your own plug-in to get around a limitation. That's great.
                But a good majority of us don't have the time or inclination to do that.

Comment

You don't really need two events. You can create one event that programs a code, then waits for a certain number of days/hours/minutes/second and then removes the code. I was on vera before but haven't used that scheduling feature. It quite possible that it's easier to use but it can be done in HS with one event.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                    You don't really need two events. You can create one event that programs a code, then waits for a certain number of days/hours/minutes/second and then removes the code. I was on vera before but haven't used that scheduling feature. It quite possible that it's easier to use but it can be done in HS with one event.
                    I think you've just won the Christmas Turkey!

Until HS implements this rather simple scheduling feature, I should submit a request for this, I might create a "template" manual event that does this and then duplicate and schedule it whenever I have a code that needs doing.

Then again one of the great things about Vera is you could be sure it worked by having it generate an alert when a code is added or removed, whereas if a Z-Wave failure occurred (let's admit it, sometimes a device simply doesn't do what it is told) there would be no way to know this event didn't successfully achieve what it intended and thus a guest tries to open the door and fails.

Might just have to bite the bullet and write a script to manage this...

Comment

I'm not sure that the one-event-with-a-delay solution is ideal since I'm not sure that'll work if HS goes down in the middle of that waiting period.

Even still, I really don't see how having to create two events rather than one schedule is "constantly tweaking things". You're already in there adding the schedule, what's so difficult about clicking the (+) button twice?

And you really don't even need the check-out event if you already have another guest. Just overwrite the code slot with the next guest's code.

Here's how quickly I was able to add 3 weeks worth of guest codes:

It's not necessarily the simplest way of doing things, you aren't just putting in "from this date to this date I want this code to be active", but as a general rule, if you want more power you need more complexity. Like a simple scheduling system is great for a use-case like this, but it might not be able to support rules like "if a robot vacuum starts and the time is after sunset, then turn on these lights". If all you want to do is program in user codes on a schedule, then maybe HS isn't the best automation system for your use-case.

Comment

See the attached screenshot. Frankly, I haven't used this but it should work. Will the delayed event still work if HS shuts down? I don't know. There is some option about resuming the past status. But really, how often does your system shut down without you knowing. Even if it does, you can create events to send you a message when a reboot happens. Plus how likely is it that the person who was in your home is going to come back hoping that your system and hence the code wasn't removed and they can get into your home?

Click image for larger version

Name:	usercode.png
Views:	204
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1426358

Comment

Here's how quickly I was able to add 3 weeks worth of guest codes
                          Sorry Meredith, I had to stop at the 15 second mark as you had already exceeded the click and effort needed to set up a scheduled guest code

you really don't even need the check-out event if you already have another guest. Just overwrite the code slot with the next guest's code.
                          Guest bookings don't always butt up against one another (in fact it's frustrating when they do as it makes for a tight window for the cleaner to be in and out) - you don't want a former guest having access longer than they should or a guest not due for several days having early access. Codes needs to stop and start specifically for the window of their booking.

If all you want to do is program in user codes on a schedule, then maybe HS isn't the best automation system for your use-case.
                          Actually no home automation system would be the best use-case for nothing more than scheduling a door lock - a stand-alone electronic door lock would be far superior (which I can vouch for because prior to implementing all the automation in our holiday home we had a stand-alone door lock system and being purpose designed it even integrated into our accomodation booking system so codes were auto-generated, scheduled, and provided to guests with no intervention at all).

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
                            <snip> Actually no home automation system would be the best use-case for nothing more than scheduling a door lock - a stand-alone electronic door lock would be far superior (which I can vouch for because prior to implementing all the automation in our holiday home we had a stand-alone door lock system and being purpose designed it even integrated into our accomodation booking system so codes were auto-generated, scheduled, and provided to guests with no intervention at all).
                            Interesting. How does that work? What lock?

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                              Interesting. How does that work? What lock?
                              It was a RemoteLock 6i from memory - still have it in the garage somewhere. Proprietary system - connects via WiFi and use their app to set it up, then connect it to your accomodation system and it automatically set itself for each guest and provided them the details.

However as a stand-alone solution it worked against me when I started the Z-Wave everything up there - automatically turning on appliances and lights when a guest unlocks the door for example - so I switched to a Z-Wave one. Bought a HS license for that house but a few years later still running on the Vera because HS lock management in HS is disappointing.

Comment

I, as a end consumer and not too technically inclined, had Vera for many years and a lot of things pissed me off. But I needed things the easy way. I believe I don't have the knowledge to program anything. My work is not related to IT. I decided to go to HS as it was very well spoken in Vera forums. And indeed, it is a lot better in my opinion. I could do more things with my home automation.
                                But this schedule lock thing got me frustrated for sure. I really would like an easy solution for this. Of course, automation has many ways to be done, to be accomplished, but I would like the easiest one. I am dumb in programming.
                                So, I am always glad to see any discussion as I can always learn something else.Many times I was amazed by new solutions for a problem that I could not simply see "out of the box".

Thanks for all this discussion and I really hope one day HS gets this easy schedule lock implementation.

Comment

Working...
                                X