Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't Rename Inputs/Outputs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can't Rename Inputs/Outputs

    I'm using a Denkovi - smartDEN Maxi I/O Relay Module​ and your plugin. All the devices (DO, DI, AI, AO, and Temps) are working. One annoying issue I'm having is I can't rename any of those inputs. When I rename say DI1 to Garage Door and save it, the name shows "Garage Door". When I try renaming DI2 to Motion Sensor and save that, the name shows as "Motion Sensor" BUT the DI1 reverted from "Garage Door" back to its original name DI1. It seems you can only 'save' one change out of the entire inputs/outputs as as soon as you do a second name change, the one you previously named will revert back (and allow you to save that second name change).

    FYI, I'm using the Windows version of the plugin.
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

    #2
    How do you rename the inputs?

    Comment


      #3
      Click on the input, get the screen below, change name, then click save. Click image for larger version  Name:	NameError.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	1579595
      --------------------------------------------------
      **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

      Comment


        #4
        When I change the name by going directly to the device it works...but unfortunately, it allows only seven characters. I guess this is a limitation of that device.
        --------------------------------------------------
        **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

        Comment


          #5
          The names come from the device configuration

          Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-12-08.png Views:	0 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	1579599

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
            When I change the name by going directly to the device it works...but unfortunately, it allows only seven characters. I guess this is a limitation of that device.
            Yeah, if you rename the HS device - the plugin will overwrite it on next update.

            Comment


              #7
              Yea, got that. I guess there is no way to (easily) have HomeSeer change that so I can get more characters.
              --------------------------------------------------
              **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                Yea, got that. I guess there is no way to (easily) have HomeSeer change that so I can get more characters.
                I'm not sure how, i.e. I need to handle both names - HS and the device cfg. What do I do if you rename the HS device, and the device cfg?

                [EDIT]

                I can initially get the names from the device, then ignore the device cfg changes, but it's still questionable.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Same thing here with the Teracom TCW421. It's not a problem but we are used to being able to change the names of devices and features within Homeseer. Finding this original post helped me understand the issue and I went ahead and changed the names in the TCW421 instead. As a long-time user of stuff like this, once we do the original set-up in the device we tend to walk away from future communication with the device itself and do management (limited) through Homeseer.

                  [EDIT] Would this then mean that you point to the device feature, like relay or input, using the feature name that is assigned in the device itself? If so then it would be a nightmare if we changed the name in Homeseer and it didn't reflect in the device itself. In this case the answer might be to push the new name to the device but it would have to be restricted by the naming restrictions in the device.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jimbtv View Post
                    Same thing here with the Teracom TCW421. It's not a problem but we are used to being able to change the names of devices and features within Homeseer. Finding this original post helped me understand the issue and I went ahead and changed the names in the TCW421 instead. As a long-time user of stuff like this, once we do the original set-up in the device we tend to walk away from future communication with the device itself and do management (limited) through Homeseer.

                    [EDIT] Would this then mean that you point to the device feature, like relay or input, using the feature name that is assigned in the device itself? If so then it would be a nightmare if we changed the name in Homeseer and it didn't reflect in the device itself. In this case the answer might be to push the new name to the device but it would have to be restricted by the naming restrictions in the device.
                    Normally in all my plugins I setup the features only on creation (i.e. name, location, etc). Only the address is fixed and used by the plugin (but user can't change the address anyways).

                    But in cases when the feature name is available via the API - I prefer to use it. Because why would you want to have two different names? And if the user wants to rename the device in the app - then force user to set the same name in HS? For most users this would be a nightmare.

                    But if you can suggest better strategy - I'm happy to implement it.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Probably best option is to make it configurable - add settings switch i.e. "Use names form the device"?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Ver 4.0.5.22 (BETA) - Added setting AddUseNameFromDevice

                        Default is 'true' so when new device is added - the device name is used. Then if you wish to rename the feature - deselect the setting.

                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	1625594

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Thanks Alex. That was a very quick response and I'll check it out.

                          I fully understand your logic about the naming convention. In my case Relay 1 within the TCW421 will always be Relay 1, while the Homeseer name might be Heat Pump Heat/Cool (RY1). The TCW421 will always be a slave to the Homeseer plugin. If I have my way I'll never access the TCW421 directly again once I have it fully configured.

                          People who have owned a TCW421 for a while and are now backing it into Homeseer will probably rely on the device's browser interface more than I will. They are conditioned to think of the device as the master and Homeseer as the slave.

                          It's nice to have options!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Pyramid
                            I just installed your plugin to control a Denkovi SmartDEN Max I/O. When I rename the relay devices, the new names don’t stick. As soon as I go to another page, then back to the device page, the names change back to the default (I.e., REL1). I haven’t tried renaming the other types of devices. A bug or am I doing something wrong?
                            Originally posted by Pyramid
                            I don't get the option at the bottom to "Sync feature names ..." even after checking Show Advanced Settings. I'm running ver 4.0.5.25 (registered).

                            I'll check

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Pyramid
                              I don't get the option at the bottom to "Sync feature names ..." even after checking Show Advanced Settings. I'm running ver 4.0.5.25 (registered).
                              Should be there:

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	37
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1635480

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X