Static IPs Required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static IPs Required?

I just learned that for the Harmony plugin the Harmony hubs should be on a static IP. I think this is not required for the Chromecasts because the plugin seems to automatically recognize them. So if one or more Chromecast (Audio) devices is changing the IP the plugin should still automatically recognize it with the new IP address. Is that correct?

Originally posted by mulu View Post
    I just learned that for the Harmony plugin the Harmony hubs should be on a static IP. I think this is not required for the Chromecasts because the plugin seems to automatically recognize them. So if one or more Chromecast (Audio) devices is changing the IP the plugin should still automatically recognize it with the new IP address. Is that correct?
    I use my router to assign static IP addressed to all of my devices to enable me to enhance security and simplify trouble shooting. It may not always be necessary, but it is always a good idea.

Comment

That is correct, the Chromecast plugin uses mDNS (Zeroconf) to discover and monitor the IP address of each Chromecast, so you don't have to assign a static IP to each device, but as Alex_W said it's a good practice to do so anyway.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. It's a bit off-topic but why are static IPs better? I thought fixed IPs are more of a security risk. Maybe not so much within a home network but still from a security perspective there shouldn't be any advantage. What am I missing?

Comment

Thanks for your responses. It's a bit off-topic but why are static IPs better? I thought fixed IPs are more of a security risk. Maybe not so much within a home network but still from a security perspective there shouldn't be any advantage. What am I missing?
          Why would a static IP be more of a security risk?

Comment

Static IP's allow inbound/outbound firewall rules to be applied to specific devices.

Comment

Working...
            X