2021 XC90 in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 XC90 in USA

As others have mentioned, thx for working on this one!

Not sure if this has happened for other 21/22/Android car owners (I see you've said the plugin doesn't work for those vehicles), but I was able to setup the plugin and all seemed to work...selected my car and it said it was creating devices. But when I went to see the devices that were created, there was only 1. See below.

Not sure if this is what you've seen from the newer vehicles, but thought I'd share this data point in case it helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	132
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1597891

It's been a while since I last worked on this plugin (But I will again soon, have some improvements in mind..). As I remember the device and Read Status feature should only be created if a VIN and/or registration is returned. But then again, the device name should mention one or the other. Did you see this information in step 3 of the setup? My first thought is that my code is probably missing a check somewhere.

Lately there has been some progress with other projects on Github that I'm monitoring, where they use the official Volvo APIs. But they're not fully there yet.
    Plugins I developed for HS4: Somfy Local, MiLight (LimitlessLED), Updates, Volvo (VoC), OpenTherm Gateway (OTGW)
    Running HS4 Pro on Windows 10 Pro on a Synology VM, with Node-RED running as a container.

Comment

I just checked my code, but I don't yet see how you could end up with a device which is just named "Device". In front of it, it should have your license plate. And if that's not available (your dealer could have messed up) it will use VIN instead. And if VIN is not available, you should not even get that far.

If you have some time to spare, maybe you could help me figure it out. I don't want to give you any hope that we can get this working though. It would just be to figure out what happens, so I can build in extra checks. in other words, bug hunting..

You wrote that you selected your car. That's in step 3 of the setup. Do you remember if it showed your car's VIN there? It should display your Volvo ID email address, followed by the VIN number and then the checkmark to select:

Name:	afbeelding.png
Views:	137
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1597957

Another way would be to check the Log at the time you added the car and the device was created and see if your car's VIN is mentioned there:

Name:	afbeelding.png
Views:	106
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1597958

By the way, your XC90 isn't a full EV by any chance, is it? I see there's some development in Domoticz for EV. Seems like they have one of the APIs (Energy API) figured out. Guesses are they figured out the token Volvo is using in their own app. If Volvo is paying attention they will probably change the token soon, otherwise using tokens became meaningless. Still, it's an interesting development.
      Plugins I developed for HS4: Somfy Local, MiLight (LimitlessLED), Updates, Volvo (VoC), OpenTherm Gateway (OTGW)
      Running HS4 Pro on Windows 10 Pro on a Synology VM, with Node-RED running as a container.

Comment

OK, well I left it alone for a little bit and went back into the system today and now it looks like full functionality is showing up. I was just able to lock the doors and start the car from within Homeseer. Awesome! I didn't change anything so maybe I just needed to wait for the plug-in to connect and gather more info?

I see all sorts of super cool data. Now I need to figure out some cool events to trigger based on it. First up will be to combine locking the doors with starting the car in a single event...something the stock Volvo app can't figure out. You'd think it would be simple enough to lock the doors automatically if they're unlocked before starting, but the Volvo app just throws an error and makes you manually (or through the app) lock the car as a separate operation before then requesting the start operation.

Thx again for putting this together!

Comment

Good to hear! Though I still find it strange that your device name does not contain your license plate or VIN. But more features showing up later is explainable. It depends on your polling frequency setting. The plugin does not start polling right away. It's actually on my todo list to change this, but I haven't had the time yet.

This does make me wonder if Volvo made this closed VOC API available for more cars. Haven't read that anywhere yet, but I can check with some users here.

The official app does have some strange behaviour. To name just a few things:
          - It will tell you certain things can't be done while engine is on. For instance, it will tell me I can't turn preclimatization on. But does it anyway.
          ​- Does not tell you that any Window is left open (while it does for doors). I contacted them about this after that one time I forgot to close a window and found out when the seats where already wet from rain. Never heard back. So I have an event for that.
          etc.

If you think of more cool events, don't hesitate to share them here!

Comment

Sounds good. As a further update. My wife has a 2023 XC40 and I just added it to my Volvo App/Volvo ID last night and went in and tried to add it to this plugin. It's not showing up as an available car. I even went through the plug-in initial setup re-entering my Volvo ID and password and verifying connection. But still wouldn't show up. So maybe our 2023 is having the issues you've talked about with the newer cars. It has the new Android Automotive Operating System (AAOS) and the 2021 XC90 doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by gduren View Post
              It has the new Android Automotive Operating System (AAOS) and the 2021 XC90 doesn't.
              I guess that's the difference then. And 2021 probably isn't very exact either (not on January 1, but somewhere during the year)

Don't know if you have the time/resources to test the Domoticz integration with the 2023 XC40, but if that works I could see if I can use that somehow.

Comment

I'm not familiar with Domoticz, is that another Homeseer plugin?

Comment

It's an open soure alternative to HomeSeer, like Home Assistant and such. But nevermind for now. I just read that it's currently not yet working for regions outside Europe, Middle East, Africa (And it's not clear to me if in those regions it works over one hour, without having to renew tokens).

Comment

Hi, there's a working solution for the newer Volvo cars at the link below. This works with my 2023 XC40 (running Android Auto OS). As far as I can tell it's doing a regular refresh to generate the auth token with Volvo to get around the time limit.

I'm using mcsMQTT as the broker, so can see the Car in Homeseer. I think the Homeassistant bit could be done away with but I'm not skilled with Python to be able to un-pick it. It may be easier then to trigger things from Homeseer like lock/unlock and turn on climatization which would be really helpful.

Not sure if anything here could help with development of Bernold's Volvo plugin to support the AAOS Volvo's?
                    Home Assistant addon for connecting AAOS Volvos. Contribute to Dielee/volvo2mqtt development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

windlematt
                      I saw it before. They seemed to be using a reverse engineered token from the app or something (so it may be working until Volvo changes it). There's another one at https://github.com/fars-fede-fire/volvoaaos

But I can try to add it to the plugin, if someone (you?) can help testing. Haven't tried it with my (old) car yet, but it's probably not working. Also, I haven't read how to determine which car under the VolvoID account is using which API. And I'm working on a few other apps - when I have time..

Oh and it's said to currently only work in the EMEA region.

Comment

Thanks Bernold. If you find time to do anything with it, more than happy to help test.... I'm not that technical, so no problem if that's too much trouble.
                        A pre-req was to set up a Volvo developer account and then register an App (it's just a stub, no code required) and this allows am API key to be generated that is linked to your car.... so a bit more fiddly than just sending data to the VOC API.

Comment

Hmmm just checked and my old car may still work with the Connected Vehicle API and Extended Vehicle API (not the Energy API and Location API). I will give that a try first. Soon. I hope. Will let you know.

Comment

Fairly certain that it's the Connected Vehicle API that is being called based on data it's trying to pull back (below). The Volvo documentation states that it doesn't support much after 2021/2022 but it does appear to be working for my car with AAOS (XC40) and I can lock/unlock doors, etc. The only supported APIs for the newer AAOS cars are the Energy and Location APIs but neither have the lock/unlock functionality which is definitely working for me.

Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_service_warning_status/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_months_to_service/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_km_to_service/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_hours_to_service/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_average_speed/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_engine_state/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_tyre_rear_right/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_tyre_rear_left/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_tyre_front_right/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/sensor/{VIN}_tyre_front_left/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/device_tracker/{VIN}_location/attributes:gps_accuracy
                            Sub: homeassistant/device_tracker/{VIN}_location/attributes:latitude
                            Sub: homeassistant/device_tracker/{VIN}_location/attributes:longitude
                            Sub: homeassistant/lock/{VIN}_lock_status/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/switch/{VIN}_climate_status/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_sunroof/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_tank_lid/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_engine_hood/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_tailgate/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_door_rear_right/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_door_rear_left/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_door_front_right/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_door_front_left/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_window_rear_right/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_window_rear_left/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_window_front_right/state
                            Sub: homeassistant/binary_sensor/{VIN}_window_front_left/state

Comment

I traded in my 2021 XC90 for a 2023 Recharge with AAOS, so unfortunately can't use the plugin anymore. I'd be willing to help test something that might work with AAOS with our XC40 and XC90 Recharge.

Full disclosure, I'm not on these boards a ton so may be slow to respond if something becomes available to test.

Comment

Working...
                              X