Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion detection not always working

Hello -

I have a simple event that turns on a front light for 30 seconds between dusk and dawn when motion is detected on a Ring Doorbell 2. When the beta first came out, worked flawless. Sometime over the past week without updating versions it stopped working entirely (wife let me know). Didn't have time to do any version updates until tonight and still having issues. I am now on v1.0.0.16.

I deleted the device and let it re-find again, then enabled motion detection. It seems to work 1 time and then not again for about 5 minutes. The Ring phone app is picking up motion each time, but the Plugin is not. Is there some sort of cool down period between motion detection notifcations in the Plugin?

Screen shot is the interval between 2 notifications.

Thanks
    Rob
    Attached Files

The event is reported by Ring with an "expire-in" value which is set to 3 minutes. So the current implementation does not anything different then to follow what Ring reports. I know I'm going to have to change that, so is this perhaps what you see (you said 5 minutes, perhaps it is 3)? If not, set debug level to errors and events, do the motion events, if need be wait for 5 minutes and repeat and post/pm me the log

Comment

So it is about 3 min. What is odd is on the first release, this worked the same as when I had it through an Alexa virtual switch. It would trigger at minimum at the end of my 30 second light on time. Not sure exactly how quick between each notification. My Ring app on the phone is certainly less than 3 minutes.
      Just notice in the log I started getting this red error. Always occurs in pairs
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ring3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1594170

Comment

Originally posted by njmopar View Post
        So it is about 3 min. What is odd is on the first release, this worked the same as when I had it through an Alexa virtual switch. It would trigger at minimum at the end of my 30 second light on time. Not sure exactly how quick between each notification. My Ring app on the phone is certainly less than 3 minutes.
        Just notice in the log I started getting this red error. Always occurs in pairs
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ring3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1594170
        Not sure I can think of anything that would explain how it could have worked before unless there were multiple motion events, and one created, say 3 minutes before, at timer expiry would have (mistakenly) turned the motion off of an event that happened say 30 seconds before. However, I took your word for it and restructured the code a little, perhaps if one of those consecutive reporting of the same ding, suddenly has its expire-in value set to zero (or much lower), the PI will now use any newer value.
        I also made some changes that should hopefully fix the error you saw in your log, albeit I can't quite tell what caused it, the changes should at least prevent it or add a bit more debug info if it was to happen again.
        V.20 that was posted also has a few changes to see if we can get our motion kind (human, other ..) reported again.

Comment

Updated to v.20. Turned off my time of day condition as its daytime now during test. Initial motion was detected, but it took 10 minutes until next motion detection. My Ring app was giving me notification each time I walked out there at like 1 min intervals.

I do recall this working on the initial build, since I noticed the response time was quicker with this plug-in than with the Alexa virtual switch. Based on the time it took for light to turn on from the time I spotted the IR lights illuminating on the Doorbell 2.

I have to travel today, so wont be able to try any more changes until later this week.

Forgot to add, the errors above in log are gone now.

Comment

Updated to v.20. Turned off my time of day condition as its daytime now during test. Initial motion was detected, but it took 10 minutes until next motion detection. My Ring app was giving me notification each time I walked out there at like 1 min intervals.

I do recall this working on the initial build, since I noticed the response time was quicker with this plug-in than with the Alexa virtual switch. Based on the time it took for light to turn on from the time I spotted the IR lights illuminating on the Doorbell 2.
            Whenever you have some time, set debug level to verbose and do your test. Generate motion , again a minute later, again 30 seconds later, stop complete until the state changes to no-motion. Post log.

Forgot to add, the errors above in log are gone now.
            Good to know , but suspect still a Gremlin somewhere in that code of mine.​

Comment

Working...
            X