X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dcorsus
    replied
    Originally posted by jrhocker View Post
    dcorsus I agree, the detectors do seem to enjoy beeping in the middle of the night. But, our fire fighters (who now know my wife and me very well) did verify each time that the detectors were working as they should be. That is comforting and the Ring PI is working well with the Alarm System. Nice work!

Ring Monitoring does keep you informed. In addition to the beeping, I received the attached emails.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring - CO Event - 2023-12-22 - #1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1647932Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring - CO Event - 2023-12-22 - #2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1647933Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring - CO Event - 2023-12-22 - #3.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1647934
    I wish Ring would find a way to have a monitoring service in Belgium like they have in the US. Only way in Belgium is that the Ring system will "contact" people in your contact list, so no fire department or police department

Leave a comment:

• jrhocker
    replied
    dcorsus I agree, the detectors do seem to enjoy beeping in the middle of the night. But, our fire fighters (who now know my wife and me very well) did verify each time that the detectors were working as they should be. That is comforting and the Ring PI is working well with the Alarm System. Nice work!

Ring Monitoring does keep you informed. In addition to the beeping, I received the attached emails.

Name:	Ring - CO Event - 2023-12-22 - #1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1647932Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring - CO Event - 2023-12-22 - #2.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1647933Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring - CO Event - 2023-12-22 - #3.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1647934

Leave a comment:

• dcorsus
    replied
    jrhocker seems you had quite the night/morning but glad to read all is OK. Makes you wonder why these stupid carbon/co detectors always start beeping in the middle of the night, reminding to replace their batteries, why doesn't that happen during the day

Leave a comment:

• jrhocker
    replied
    We had a 2nd CO event at our house and the Fire Department visited again today (the last one was a few weeks ago). Everyone is okay, but I learned more about my Ring Smoke/CO detectors. Since we are a totally electric home, the Fire Fighters and I were struggling with identifying what keeps setting off the CO detector and causes Ring Monitoring to dispatch the Fire Department. The Fire Department this time identified what triggered the CO detector. The root cause was our electric golf cart which is stored in the garage. Evidently my batteries are failing and during the charging cycle the lead acid batteries are over charging and producing excess hydrogen which can also trigger the CO detectors. There are articles online about this situation.

Now, what I learned about the Ring PI and the Ring Monitoring is as follows. My First Alert Smoke/CO detector which is located in the garage started going off at 5:30 am and it triggered the Ring Base station which caused Ring Monitoring to dispatch the Fire Department.

The two HS4 events shown below triggered based off of the alarm condition on the base station which was in the 'CO Alarm' state. Ring Monitoring called at 5:32am and told me the Fire Department was on the way. While talking to them, for some reason, I entered my code to disable the alarm (I was half awake). When I entered my code the Ring Dispatcher asked me if I had cancelled the alarm. So, they get immediate feedback on keypad inputs. That is the reason the repeating HS4 alarm event quit triggering and the HS4 event 'Repeat Message Until Clear' message' shows the last run time of 5:33 am. While talking to the Ring dispatcher, they knew it was the Smoke/CO detector in the garage that was in alarm state. I have two other First Alert Smoke/CO detectors in other areas that were not alarming. So, this confirms that each of the Smoke/CO detector's 'CO Alarm' state does change if an event truly does occur. I wasn't able to verify this by doing tests. Unfortunately, I hadn't created an event based on each of the individual Smoke/CO detectors alarm states. All of the events triggered were based off of the alarm state on the base station.

Based on my experiences for my two visits with our local fire fighters, the Ring PI is working and reporting as expected. It did help this time having the announcements telling me what was happening in the house because we were asleep when it occurred.

I think I'm done providing 'live' tests for the PI and now I get to buy new batteries for the golf cart.

​​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	45
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1647884

Views:	25
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1647885

Views:	25
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1647886

Leave a comment:

• windracer
    replied
    Gah, must have been me. The re-created battery features are showing properly. I'll tread carefully this time when changing the graphics.

Views:	39
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1646800

Leave a comment:

• windracer
    replied
    I did change the graphics, but did that before (and if you look back in this thread you can see my screenshots with the updated graphics and the "Status" is filled in with the "Value". I'll try re-creating the battery features and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• dcorsus
    replied
    Originally posted by windracer View Post
    It looks like the new combined smoke alarm devices no longer show the battery value in the "status" field. I mainly noticed because my HSBuddy dashboards were no longer showing the batter percentage.

Views:	61
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1646704
    This is strange. For this kind of feature, the PI doesn't update the Status, only the Value. I see another icon for the battery, did you change the graphics/ranges for this feature, maybe something amiss there? You can also try to delete the feature (when the PI is running) and let the PI recreate it. So not sure what the cause is, but suspect HS is not happy about something

Leave a comment:

• windracer
    replied
    It looks like the new combined smoke alarm devices no longer show the battery value in the "status" field. I mainly noticed because my HSBuddy dashboards were no longer showing the batter percentage.

Views:	61
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1646704

Leave a comment:

• jrhocker
    replied
    Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

I'm a bit surprised because it shows nothing when the test event starts
    When I tested the guest room Smoke/CO detector yesterday, I tested it several times. Alexa didn't detect the 'Smoke' and 'CO' Alarms each time. On a couple of the tests, Alexa only detected a 'Smoke' alarm. On one of the tests, Alexa didn't detect anything. So, I'll test all three of the Smoke/CO detectors later today and send you the log containing all tests. Maybe, it will show additional information.

Leave a comment:

• dcorsus
    replied

I tested the First Alert Smoke/CO detector. When I pressed the 'Test' button, the alarm went through it's test sequence. Then, Alexa announced that a 'Smoke Alarm' had been detected and then a few seconds later Alexa announced that a 'CO Alarm' had been detected. The debug log is attached to this post.

I did notice in the log that the Alarm Status was 'inactive' which matches what Ring Monitoring stated when they said they know not to react when the 'Test' button is pushed.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the log. I'm a bit surprised because it shows nothing when the test event starts .... that I can figure out

Leave a comment:

• jrhocker
    replied
    Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
    Do you mind setting debug level to "errors and events", push that test button and see if anything shows up in the log. If it does, PM or post.
    I tested the First Alert Smoke/CO detector. When I pressed the 'Test' button, the alarm went through it's test sequence. Then, Alexa announced that a 'Smoke Alarm' had been detected and then a few seconds later Alexa announced that a 'CO Alarm' had been detected. The debug log is attached to this post.

I did notice in the log that the Alarm Status was 'inactive' which matches what Ring Monitoring stated when they said they know not to react when the 'Test' button is pushed.

I hope this helps.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dcorsus
    replied
    By the way, is that Prague?
    Yes it is. Little trip to get away from the rain in Belgium

Leave a comment:

• jrhocker
    replied
    I'll do the test again later today.

I did call Ring Monitoring to tell them I would be testing before I tried any of the testing. They told me that as long as I hit the 'Test' button, Ring Monitoring knew it was not a real event. They said I could test as often as I wanted that way and no event would be reported on their end. However, I thought it was interesting that Alexa announced that it detected the events.

By the way, is that Prague? Looks very cold. Enjoy and thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• dcorsus
    replied
    Do you mind setting debug level to "errors and events", push that test button and see if anything shows up in the log. If it does, PM or post. You see, if Alexa detected anything , I would think there is an event this PI should have picked up as well but perhaps the test event is reported differently. Just want to make sure, the PI will show properly when it is really needed

Leave a comment:

• jrhocker
    replied
    Originally posted by windracer View Post
    You can temporarily turn off monitoring in the Ring app.
    I wasn't that clever on turning off the monitoring. However, when I pushed the 'Test' button, the status of the device did not change for either the 'Smoke Alarm' feature or the 'CO Alarm' feature. The Smoke/CO detector did chirp like it was supposed to and Alexa verified that it detected an event. Pushing the 'Test' button is the only method I know to test the detector.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X