Missing feature on device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing feature on device

Yesterday I switched one of my Ring cameras from plug-in to battery mode. This involved going into the Ring app and switching the Power method, which did some sort of setup to disable certain features, etc.

Today, the "battery" feature still isn't showing up on the camera in Homeseer from the plug-in. How can I get that added? I know sometimes it takes a few "connections" to the mothership to pull that updated info, but based on the 4-hour re-connection time, this should have been done by now.

Originally posted by windracer View Post
    Yesterday I switched one of my Ring cameras from plug-in to battery mode. This involved going into the Ring app and switching the Power method, which did some sort of setup to disable certain features, etc.

Today, the "battery" feature still isn't showing up on the camera in Homeseer from the plug-in. How can I get that added? I know sometimes it takes a few "connections" to the mothership to pull that updated info, but based on the 4-hour re-connection time, this should have been done by now.
    Strange, no battery-status feature, should have been there even when on ac power (in which case set the battery level to 101). Have you clicked "refresh devices' info"? Any errors in the log? As you stated, whenever updates come in, the PI will recreate missing features, so if it was deleted, it should have been recreated by now.

Comment

Yeah, now that you mention it odd that there was never a battery status on that camera (didn't really realize since I was new to Ring cameras and this one was powered from the get-go. Tried to "refresh devices" and saw this appear in my log:

Code:
      Error in RefreshWSAlarmInformation with error = Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
      v1.0.0.34.

Also seemed to cause some high CPU usage on my RasPi, and saw this too:

Code:
      BeforeReturnStatus called, returning state = 1 - Trial version till Aug 31, 2023 12:00:00 AM

Comment

Yeah, now that you mention it odd that there was never a battery status on that camera (didn't really realize since I was new to Ring cameras and this one was powered from the get-go. Tried to "refresh devices" and saw this appear in my log:

Code:
        Error in RefreshWSAlarmInformation with error = Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
        Does it appear when you click on the refresh button or it sat in your log, perhaps with a different and older timestamp? I need to look at that piece of code, suspect there is some race condition or re-entry of this section of the code.

Also seemed to cause some high CPU usage on my RasPi, and saw this too:
        The info received from the ring server is quite elaborate and I suspect that the newtonsoft functions to unpack the JSON encoded info, might be laborious. This should just be when events come in and not continously

Code:
        BeforeReturnStatus called, returning state = 1 - Trial version till Aug 31, 2023 12:00:00 AM
        You should see that at start of the PI or whenever HS polls the PI for it status. It indicates that after Aug 31st, this PI will not start up anymore, hence my plan to deliver an official (for pay) version by then ​

Comment

Code:
          v1.
          Appears I can reproduce this when clicking refresh devices' info. Will look at it

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

Appears I can reproduce this when clicking refresh devices' info. Will look at it
            Ok, just fixed it, don't think this would be the reason the battery feature is missing. Make sure it isn't hidden or filtered out somehow. If all looks ok, do restart the PI, the refresh may actually have an issue, but I would think this has no bearing on the battery feature, a restart will make sure it all gets refreshed.
            I'll hold off with posting this fix till we figure this out.

Comment

Restarted the PI, saw this in the log (after everything initialized and started up):

Code:
              Warning OpenWebSocket for Home couldn't be opened with Url = wss://ec2-18-207-227-17.prd.rings.solutions/ws?authcode=<redacted>&ack=false
              Battery feature isn't hidden or filtered, it's just not there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	65
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1618842

Something is really killing the CPU on the RasPi right now (the HS4 GUI is extremely sluggish) so I'm going to do a clean reboot and see what happens.

Comment

Still nothing after the reboot. Checking the debug JSON capture, the camera looks like the other three except it's missing the "devicebatteryhsref" in the featurereflist.

I know you're busy moving, so this is obviously not a big deal right now.

Comment

Still nothing after the reboot. Checking the debug JSON capture, the camera looks like the other three except it's missing the "devicebatteryhsref" in the featurereflist.

Can you PM me that capture file?

Comment

Restarted the PI, saw this in the log (after everything initialized and started up):

Code:
                    Warning OpenWebSocket for Home couldn't be opened with Url = wss://ec2-18-207-227-17.prd.rings.solutions/ws?authcode=<redacted>&ack=false
                    Battery feature isn't hidden or filtered, it's just not there.

Views:	65
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1618842

Something is really killing the CPU on the RasPi right now (the HS4 GUI is extremely sluggish) so I'm going to do a clean reboot and see what happens.
                    I just realized that the fix I made this morning, which was a bug introduced to support multiple locations, I think the side effect is that many websockets are being opened and maybe that is the explanation of the sluggishness. I assume after you rebooted the system, things looked better?
                    If you can PM me that capture log, then I can check why no battery feature is being created. One explanation I could think off, is that problem that when a feature is being deleted when the PI is not running, the PI is not smart enough to recover from that, only a delete of the device would fix that, and a delete of a device can be done when PI is running or not. However, if the capture log does not show a battery feature, than the problem is something else.

I do need to check my old code again, that dealt with properly dealing with deleting a feature while the PI is running, maybe that code is not doing anymore what it was supposed to do, due to more recent changes.

Comment

Yeah after the reboot performance went back to normal (and I haven't tried a device refresh again from the PI). I'll PM you the JSON capture.

Comment

windracer I just posted v.35 which fixes the issue where multiple websockets were opened, which might explain the sluggishness. Also fixed an issue where the websocket feature state wasn't updated. Found that the battery feature for cameras (as opposed to alarm devices) is only created when the device is created, so if it wasn't there when the camera was first created and later found (due to change from powered to battery), the PI wouldn't not add the feature.

Comment

Everything was packaged up last Thursday, we handed over the keys to the house on Friday and now camping out in an apartment until we jump on a flight with our dog. Boat arrives with our stuff late July. Plenty of time now, just no active setup. I know a lot of people hate cloud based services, but the irony is that I can do testing and development from anywhere in the world, despite the fact that the setup is down, the ring server reports all the devices ... as down

Comment

windracer Found that the battery feature for cameras (as opposed to alarm devices) is only created when the device is created, so if it wasn't there when the camera was first created and later found (due to change from powered to battery), the PI wouldn't not add the feature.
                            Bingo!

Views:	60
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1618899

I'll keep an eye on performance as well with the websockets fix, thanks!

Everything was packaged up last Thursday ...

Good to hear and hope everything goes smoothly for you. I get to work at home (ever since the pandemic) so I know what you mean about cloud-based services.

Comment

You should see that at start of the PI or whenever HS polls the PI for it status. It indicates that after Aug 31st, this PI will not start up anymore, hence my plan to deliver an official (for pay) version by then ​

I see this log message very often even when I make a change to any of my plugins. In fact right now it is triggering every minute. Would you know why HS would need to poll the plug in so often?

I understand the reason for the messages, and I have every intention on buying this plugin when you release it, but is there a way to reduce the reminder message so it only occurs when only the RING plugin is initialized?

Thanks

Views:	64
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	1619029
                              HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.18.18 (Windows)

Comment

Working...
                              X