Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HTTP 412, HTTP 400, ini/UI persistence, and I won the lottery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTTP 412, HTTP 400, ini/UI persistence, and I won the lottery.

Unifi 4.0.3.0

Gen 1 Cloud key v1.1.13
    Controller 6.0.45

Headline: I've successfully connected

Obstacles along the way:
    1. Because it wasn't clear whether the plugin wanted the Cloud Key username and password or the Controller username and password, and I had lost my Cloud Key password, I reset the CK and restored from a backup.Without guidance telling me otherwise, if I'm omitting the port from the hostname, I expect to use the Cloud Key's credentials. Wrong, it wants the Controller username and password, not the Cloud Key username and password. Yay, I know my Cloud Key password now, thanks.
    2. When I gave it the Controller user/pw at first, I hadn't read the other thread here that talks about turning off Unifi OS and Unifi Protect for G1 CKs. So I was getting a loop of HTTP 412 and HTTP 400 errors.
    3. When I tried to disable the OS and Protect incorrect settings, I ran into a variety of UI and config ini data persistence problems. Specifically, if I shut these off then stopped and restarted the plugin, one of them would turn itself back on. This would cause the 412/400 loop as well.
    4. After uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin 12 times, including deleting the \config\unifi.ini and its .bak, somehow I managed to magically get the right settings to persist and I won the lottery. The plugin was able to connect and not only pulled all the device, switch, access point and client data, but also retrieved a bunch of old devices from three networks ago. Turns out the Controller remembers clients it has seen forever and includes them in backups.

I'm going to speculate now. I think, and have no way to prove, that the reason why the settings were not persisting across shutdown and restart is due to a complex password. Specifically, one with a \r in it. I think when loading and processing the ini contents, this disrupted field to data alignment and the plugin would set the enable flags incorrectly.

Ridiculous? Well, when I "won the lottery" it was after I changed my Controller password temporarily to all alphabetic characters. Coincidence? Not sure, that's what I pay you $40 to figure out, eh? Now that I have data discovered correctly, I'm hesitant to return to a password as complex as the one I had until this is validated and if found true, fixed. If someone else is in a sporting mood and wants to see if this is real, have at it. It's a sunny day here and I've hit my geekout quota.

Hi! Thanks for using the plugin and your perseverance! Great you got it working, even if it was a frustrating experience.

I really should add some documentation, I know. If only I had more time. It will come, hopefully soon. The plugin is only a few weeks old so far, and I really want to add some new features as well (especially Protect snapshot features).

The plugin should basically auto detect everything. An IP address, username and password is all there is to it. But it might take a minute or so after setup before everything is detected, and the detection might trigger an error or two in the log. If you start "playing" with the settings during that time, I really don't know what happens... but it might be just what you've experienced. I should add a warning somewhere about this.

I will definitely test your theory about a complex password. I do have a complex password myself, but not with a \r in it.

Thanks for the feedback!
    stefxx

Comment

It's good to see your enthusiasm for your work, I wish that would rub off on some of the developers who have abandoned us for open source and mass market HA, or treat support like a hobby.

Comment

Thanks.

And I can confirm that there is an issue with complex passwords.
        stefxx

Comment

Fix has been prepared for the next release. If anyone needs the fix now or wants to test it, the latest beta (currently 4.0.3.1) has the fix included.

Any password that contained a \ or " did not work. The password I used to test the fix was Ab1~!@#$%^&*()_+=-`[]{}|\r'":;.,<>?/.
          stefxx

Comment

Will test when I can. I \loves \me \some \punctuation in my pa$$words!

Comment

Thanks again!
              stefxx

Comment

Working...
              X