Update Client AP MAC addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Client AP MAC addresses

I've replaced several Unifi devices (AP, switch, etc), but I see their corresponding entries in the Unifi client records still have the original device MAC address listed still. Any simple way to update all of the clients HS rcds short of deleting them and re-creating them? I have a lot of "attached" events and scripts, so would rather not go down that road if there's an easier way..

Thanks

I am a bit confused by your wording. If this is about replacing UniFi devices in the UniFi plugin, this might help: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...a-hs-questions.

Note that this will help with events, but not necessarily with scripts as the feature addresses will change. So script might still need modifications if you refer to features by their address. Also, image locations (ie C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS4\hs4\html\UnifiMotion\... etc) might change because of changed MAC addresses, however this is only relevant to cameras.

But, if you are referring to client tracking (or something else), please explain what you are trying to do exactly so I can try to offer more help.
    stefxx

Comment

Where have I heard that before..

What I was referring to are the AP/Switches listed (Status/Graphics) within each HS4 Client Device. All of my clients now contain the invalid MAC ID's for those replaced Unifi AP/Switch devices.

Seems I missed the memo on the replacement feature

Since there are far more Clients listed than there are Events/Scripts that point to them, I'll just recreate every Client to ensure their Status/Graphic list is correct now and use the replacement feature in the future (assuming that's what it will do).

Thanks

Comment

Ah now I understand. Sorry. It could also be me, since I am non-native English.

If I remember correctly, the status/graphics list of client devices that contains the APs en Switches should update automatically when/if needed. If that doesn't work, I consider that a bug. Let me check the code first before you re-create all client devices!
        stefxx

Comment

Fixed. Now if a client connects to a new UniFi device, the list of devices on the client tracking feature will be updated to the latest list.

Please use the latest beta. See here for all other changes in this beta: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...-release-notes
          stefxx

Comment

No worries, your English is far better than my non-existent Dutch..

So if an existing client almost always connects to the same Unifi device, the list will never update?
            Will it replace the complete list (eg remove old devices) or just add the new device(s)? I can see where removing devices might cause other issues.
            The lists I show now have a little bit of old, new and missing devices. Not a big deal as anything missing will be added if the client connects to it now, so it's operational, just my OCD...
            Is it possible to provide a way to force a manual update to the list?

Speaking of OCD, there's a SAVE button on the Unifi data pages. Not sure that's needed or was that in another memo (Will pay more attention to the change log from now on)

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
              No worries, your English is far better than my non-existent Dutch..
              Thanks!

So if an existing client almost always connects to the same Unifi device, the list will never update?
              Correct. Otherwise I always have to check if the list is up-to-date, which is an unnecessary load to the plugin and HomeSeer for no added value.

Will it replace the complete list (eg remove old devices) or just add the new device(s)?
              The list will be fully replaced with the latest info.

I can see where removing devices might cause other issues.
              Why? How can a client be connected to a non-existing device?

Speaking of OCD, there's a SAVE button on the Unifi data pages. Not sure that's needed or was that in another memo (Will pay more attention to the change log from now on)
              Yes, and it does nothing. But I can't remove it, HS4 just adds it
              stefxx

Comment

Understood..
                Looking at my current lists, since they're from the early PI versions and many, many equipment changes, I'm just going to recreate them. I'm noticing several don't have the unique image folders as well, so it will be good to do some housecleaning and get them all sync'd up. While many are linked to events/scripts, the majority were just enabled for "future" use , so it won't affect anything. The new HS4 event notification for missing devices really helps narrow it down now.. Not so much for scripts, but they are few.
                I'll also sleep better this way

Thanks again

Comment

Well maybe it is too late now and you have recreated all client devices.... but if you haven't:

The latest beta now also updates all Client tracking features when you select "Refresh All UniFi HS4 Features". It updates them to include all missing UniFi APs en switches, and removes old ones. It also updates them to use the new unique image folders if not already.

And while working on that I found a nasty bug when switching from single to multiple properties per client (or the other way around) so hopefully that is resolved as well.
                  stefxx

Comment

No I have not yet..
                    When it says "Names will be set", which names are these? The Status/Graphic names or the device names (just in case I've renamed some, although I typically let it populate the HS device using Unifi data)

Comment

Both.
                      stefxx

Comment

Ik begrijp geen enkele tot meerdere eigendommen per klant?

Google is my friend

Comment

Please don't do that. I had to use Google Translate to translate back to English before I understood what you've meant

"switching from single to multiple properties per client" is an option in the "Clients" setup page, allowing to reveal more information about a client than just tracking.
                          stefxx

Comment

I thought that might happen... Lesson learned..

Comment

OK, updated as expected, names look fine.

I do have a couple of clients that show online in Unifi-Network, but offline in the plugin. When I look at one device the HS4 client Unifi data tab has a incorrect MAC address (ESP32 device that was swapped out with another). The Unifi Network shows the correct MAC address and online status.
                              Does the update refresh an existing devices MAC (IP would be the same, as well as the Unifi name)

The other incorrect status device is my Edgerouter. Everything looks fine on Unifi-Network, and the HS4 Unfi data file, but the Status/Graphic says value 0? Is it looking for change of state to update?

All the remaining devices look correct (eg, red offline, green online)

Comment

Working...
                              X