Suggested Uses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggested Uses?

I am thinking of getting a Rachio controller. Wondering, though, how others using the plugin would integrate their irrigation into HomeSeer, for what purposes?

When I think of the usefulness of HomeSeer, it is the intersection of different technologies. A motion sensor turns on a light. A gate opening causes a camera to take a snapshot, and send a notification. With water and the weather, seems Rachio is a standalone technology. Anyone care to share how they find the plugin useful?

I installed the Rachio plugin, but as you say, the Rachio technology is so automated, has such a great smartphone interface, and is so flexible that so far, I’ve not used it at all.

I built my irrigation system myself, and added a rather unique feature. I added extra zones around the yard that will eventually be for drip irrigation. But for the time being, I just hooked them to a hose bibb. Turns out that has been very useful. Higher flow rate than my house water due to 1” pipes, and the water is 1/2 the price since it’s on a separate meter and so I don’t pay for sewage. But of course I have to activate a zone to use it. So I may add a zwave button to activate that zone, doing that through HomeSeer.

Comment

Same situation here, I have a Rachio but can't think of any reason why HS4 would control or override it? Same for status detection, the Rachio does a great job of alerting changes to watering, schedules, etc.

No need to override watering since it takes place in the early hours before sunrise (anyone watering during the day is doing it wrong).

So yeah, I'm all ears for anyone that can think of a practical use-case for why I would need to integrate with HS4.

Comment

Same thing for me ... I installed the Rachio plug-in to check it out, but couldn't think of anything to really do with it (unless I wanted to play a joke on someone and have the sprinklers come on when they went out the back door or something like that 😁).

Comment

Reminds me of the old philosophy quote...

"All because one can automate doesn't mean one should."

Comment

Originally posted by windracer View Post
            Same thing for me ... I installed the Rachio plug-in to check it out, but couldn't think of anything to really do with it (unless I wanted to play a joke on someone and have the sprinklers come on when they went out the back door or something like that 😁).
            There's a thought! A cat triggers a motion alert in Blue Iris - activate zone 2 watering!

Comment

I do use it. I check in the mornings before watering, and if the accumulated rainfall the day before and before watering is above 3.5mm, I postpone watering by a day. If its above 10mm I postpone for 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                I do use it. I check in the mornings before watering, and if the accumulated rainfall the day before and before watering is above 3.5mm, I postpone watering by a day. If its above 10mm I postpone for 2 days
                I could be wrong, but the Rachio looks at past and predicted rainfall to skip watering and avoid soil saturation, the amounts are fully adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

I could be wrong, but the Rachio looks at past and predicted rainfall to skip watering and avoid soil saturation, the amounts are fully adjustable.
                  Yes it does to some degree, but I found that it was sometimes still watering when it had rained the day before.

Comment

Here a water sensor tells HS when the pool level is low. Later HS tells Rachio to add water through an extra valve we installed just for the pool. The plug in produces some really useless devices that do nothing and some weather info that's not updated often.
                    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                    | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                    BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post

Yes it does to some degree, but I found that it was sometimes still watering when it had rained the day before.
                      I suspect you don't have Saturation Skip on or adjusted properly for the soil type (or that zone soil type defined properly).

Or you could use a hardwired moisture sensor for precision.
                      https://support.rachio.com/en_us/rac...nsor-r1EyOL1FP

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

I suspect you don't have Saturation Skip on or adjusted properly for the soil type (or that zone soil type defined properly).

Or you could use a hardwired moisture sensor for precision.
                        https://support.rachio.com/en_us/rac...nsor-r1EyOL1FP
                        I guess I havent got saturation skip on. I must admit I've never seen that... I will have another look to see if I have that. I have the Rachio 3.
                        I did look at soil sensors but decided against at the time. I'll have a look at your link as well

Comment

I'm in the market for a smart irrigation controller. I'm tired of programming mine in the 150° garage!

I was all excited for the Wyze one, but keep looking at the Rachio. Is this still the one to get?

My wife's name is Rachel, if that influences the decision one way or the other. 😀

Comment

I have a Rachio 2nd gen and have been very happy with it. I have a modest system though, just 4 zones, and I don't use it with HS4, just directly via the app. I love that it'll be raining and my neighbors sprinklers are running but my Rachio is smart enough to skip.

Comment

I have a Rachio 3 with 7 zones, compared to the stock controller that the irrigation company installed, it's great. It uses my old rain sensor but what's even better is that it can skip even before it's raining based on weather forecasts and whether your soil is estimated to be saturated already.

Comment

Working...
                              X