Big 6 UDP Action doesn't send message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big 6 UDP Action doesn't send message

I just purchased the Big 6 Plugin to control my Brightsign Video Wall monitors.

When I use a freeware program "Packet Sender" to send a UDP message (message "frogeyes") to my video wall, the VideoWall updates as intended. I use Wireshark to see the message sent and the message contains "frogeyes". (see attached photo)

I disabled my Norton Firewall on my HS4 machine in case it was creating a problem.

I then try Big 6 with a UDP Action Event & Profile with a Message of "frogeyes". I get an error message of -
    "[UDP] [UdpConnection] [#PFL:BrightOffice - UDP] Udp Send failure: Cannot send packets to an arbitrary host while connected."

What am I missing?

Happy Holidays,

Doug Hurrell

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big 6 Profile Setup.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1515689

Name:	HS4 Event - Big6 UdpACTION - Ascii.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1515692
    Attached Files

Try this in your UDP profile.

IP address: The IP address of your HS4 computer
    Port: The port that your VideoWall is setup to listen (must be unique not used by anything else on the Network).
    Check the "Broadcasting" box

Comment

That seems to work (Wireshark captured the UDP Message) BUT, my VideoWall units are on a different subnet due to the need for the reduced traffic for their synchronization.

Is there any way I can get the Big 6 UDP Action to work on different subnets? My HS4 system is 192.168.10.100 and my VideoWall Master Controller is on 192.168.140.140.

Also, I am using a HS4 event with an Immediate Script Command to control my xlights Falcon Player for Christmas Lights Control.

The Immediate Script Command is: "&hs.URLAction("http://192.168.3.90/api/command/Start%20Playlist%20At%20Item/Landscape-Christmas-Nightime.fseq/0/true/false", "GET", "", "")

Could you help me to convert this over to a Big 6 Action Event? I am a newbie when it comes to UDP/TCP/HTTP.

Thanks for your help,

Doug

Comment

Camguy52

​​​​​​​You are asking 2 questions. I'll reply here in the same order.

1. Yes, we will make the UDP working for you as you want it in the next release of Big6 coming soon.
        2. You need to setup Big6 HTTP GET profile. Read here how http://big6.ivanv.com/http-profile/
        Your URL will be http://192.168.3.90/api/command/${Input}
        After that you just select Big6 HTTP action in HS4 event and your "message" will be Start%20Playlist%20At%20Item/Landscape-Christmas-Nightime.fseq

Of course you can create multiple different events with different "messages" that will trigger different scenes at your video wall.

Comment

You are a ROCK STAR!!

I will give this a try and wait for the next release.

Have a great holiday!

Doug

Comment

OK, maybe I'm missing something.

When I Copy & Paste the URL from the previous message - http://192.168.3.90/api/command/${Input} - and try to Save Changes, I get the "${Input} error message" even though I have ${Input} in the URL field. (see attached)

Sorry to be such a bother,

Doug

Name:	HTTP Profile Setup.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1515976
            Attached Files

Comment

I just checked and it does work. Pls make sure you're on the latest Big6 version 3.38 (beta). Also delete and re-enter the URL manually. This forum is notorious for passing incorrect info by copy/paste from text that is not saved as "code".

Comment

Thank you for all of your help.

The Pop Up Error Message problem was that I copied and typed ${Input} instead of ${input}. The Caps on the "I" caused the error message.

Then when I send the message from the corrected Big6 Profile (http://192.168.3.90/api/command/${input}) and a Big6 HTTP event, I get an error in the HS4 Log (set to Show Errors and Debug in HS Log) of:

"[HTTP] [HttpConnection] [#PFL:ShowController - HTTP] An error occurred while sending the request."

Might this also be tied to the fact I'm trying to send a message to a different subnet? (although it determined "ShowController" from the ip address in the Profile)

To be clear, the Name, Method (Get) and URL are the only fields I have filled in the Profile.

I have no doubt this is not what you envisioned 2 days before Christmas but I really do appreciate all of the help.

Doug

Comment

No worries. We like to help. What you're trying to do is most common thing and Big6 is doing it well.
                  Open a browser on your HS4 computer and go to the URL that you're trying to reach by HS4/Big6 command, in order to check for any permissions and network issues.
                  Doublecheck that you split the URL properly without missing or adding anything like a slash / for example

Comment

Just released v.3.39 that will allow you to accomplish your objective in regard to UDP to global destination.

Comment

I have finally had a chance to go back into the Big 6 testing mode and here is what I have found using logs and WireShark:

----------------- UDP for the most part - solved

1. UDP - The Big 6 UDP on Version 3.39.0.0 seems to be now working across subnets. WireShark displays the proper UDP Message. The only issue I am seeing is the generation on an error message in the HS4 Error Log as follows:

1/5/2022 8:51:27 AM
                      Big6
                      Error
                      [UDP] [UdpConnection] [#PFL:BrightWall - UDP (Wall Events)] UdpClient Listening failure: Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient'.

1/5/2022 8:51:27 AM
                      Big6
                      Error
                      [UDP] [UdpConnection] [#PFL:BrightWall - UDP (Wall Events)] Udp Receive failure: Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'System.Net.Sockets.Socket'.

The strange part is that "Listen" checkbox is not selected in the Big 6 UDP Profile.

---------------- HTTP still has Errors

2. HTTP - Every time I try to send a Big 6 TCP Message I get the following error generated in the HS4 log:

1/5/2022 12:39:18 PM
                      Plugin
                      Warning
                      A plugin has requested a list of all of the devices in HomeSeer

--> I do not see any message transmitted by Big 6 or captured on WireShark.

-------------- Using an Event Immediate Script URLAction that works to control the Falcon Player

&hs.URLAction("http://192.168.3.90/api/command/Start%20Playlist%20At%20Item/Landscape-Nightime.fseq/0/true/false", "GET", "", "")

If I use the HS4 Immediate Script Event above and run, it I get proper control of the Falcon Player.

The working Script Based TCP message that is captured by WireShark is:

Name:	TCP Landscape URL Action.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1518739

Hope this helps to clear things up.

All the best for the New Year,

Doug
                      Attached Files

Comment

Camguy52

Thanks for the feedback. We will look into the UDP error message. Referral to "listening" could be related to the remote "listening" device.

The warning message is normal and it is produced by HS4 not by Big6 when Big6 requests a list of devices from HS4 so that Big6 doesn't create duplicate or overwrite existing devices.

If you need further help with your TCP transmission please provide screenshot of the Big6 TCP profile that you're trying to use so that we replicate the issue if any and fix if needed.

Thanks,

Comment

Ok, let's go back to basics. The capture I displayed above in #11, successfully controls my Show Controller when I use a HS4 Immediate Script Event.

Do I need to use a Big 6 HTTP event/profile as you outlined in #4 or a TCP event/profile as you outlined in #12?

Sorry to be such a neophyte in all of this.

Thanks for the help,

Doug

Comment

It is HTTP GET certainly. The only reason I ever mentioned TCP is because you said so in your #11 post. Quote:

".... Every time I try to send a Big 6 TCP Message I get the following error generated in the HS4 log:"

Anyhow, in order to do HTTP GET with Big6 you need to

1. Setup an HTTP GET profile first as documented here

http://big6.ivanv.com/http-profile/

Please note that the URL will look like this

http://192.168.3.90/api/command/${input}

2. Setup an event in HS4 that uses Big6 HTTP action

use the HTTP GET profile
                            in the message box put everything that you want to replace ${input} from the profile

3. Run the event

Comment

Thank you for the clarification.

I have previously been testing using the HTTP Profiles as I have outlined below.

Unfortunately, I keep getting "Connection Close" regardless of my HTTP and Event configuration.

Here is what I have found:

With a HTTP Profile with a URL of - http://192.168.10.90/api/command/${input} (same subnet as HS4 computer).

Name:	__Debug - Profile - Big 6 HTTP - URL with api_command.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1519312

..and an event using that profile:

Name:	__Debug - Event - Big 6 HTTP - URL with api_command.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1519313

..leads to a WireShark Capture of:

Name:	__Debug - Capture - Big 6 HTTP - URL with api_command.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1519314

------------------------------------

If instead I use a Profile without "/api/command/" in the URL:

Name:	__Debug - Profile - Big 6 HTTP - URL without api_command.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1519315

...and an event with "/api/command/" in the message:

Name:	__Debug - Event - Big 6 HTTP - URL without api_command.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1519316
                              ..I get the same "Connection Close" WireShark Captured data.

Name:	__Debug - Capture - Big 6 HTTP - URL without api_command.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1519317

I have been keeping all of my testing on the same subnet to minimize any issues.

I have disabled and re-enabled the Big 6 Plugin and Power Cycled the HS4 system and the Falcon Show Controller all with the same results.

I'd like to give this HTTP communication one more try to see if we can resolve it. If we can't solve it, the HS4 Immediate Script Events seem to work triggering the Falcon Show Controller. I can always fall back to that approach.

The Big 6 URL HS4 events bailed me out in the HS4 communicating with the Video Wall. The URL Big 6 events are working fine (other than HS4 error messages).

I truly appreciate all of your help.

All the best,

Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X