Hubitat first time user getting started questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hubitat first time user getting started questions

I am new to Hubitat having just purchased a C8. I have a mature HS4 system running 70+ Z-wave/plus devices + a bunch of other non-zwave devices. My first use for Hubitat is going to be to migrate my iBlinds.com (latest versions) and my Yale door locks to the Hubitat. My understanding is the Hubitat has better support of these devices than the Z-Net I am using to control them currently. I am aware of the setup process from reading about that in this thread, but are there any tips for how to go about transitioning these devices that are already included on the HS4 with Z-Net? I believe the steps are that I need to exclude the devices from HS4 and include them in the Hubitat. One challenge there is that 3 of my iblinds controllers are ~20ft off the ground and not easily accessible. The door locks should not be a problem and my hope is that I will get much more reliable connectivity to them than with the Znet which worked most of the time, but failed enough times that family members complained when events didn't trigger to disarm alarm etc based on device statuses on the locks. Looking forward to seeing what else I can do with the Hubitat added to my automation ecosystem.

I am not a Zwave user so have no experience with your specific questions. Just based upon observation, the HS zwave plug-in seems to be the preferred solution for zwave. HA users, for example, jump through hoops to be able to use the HS plug-in zwave data in HA.

At the hardware level, the chipset being used in Hubitat for zwave and zigbee is the same as the one used by HS for only zigbee. It could be the investment HST made in their zwave commitment and did not want to change everything to use Nortek for both protocols. Again, I have no first hand experience with Zwave other than the GoControl irrigation controller which has been discontinued. It was actually a good product for those that needed control of up to 16 zones at an excellent price-point. It seems HST was the only one that tried to integrate it into their ecosystem so GoControl did not have the interest to continue to build it.

Comment

Thanks for the response Michael. I have had others tell me that specific to the iblinds Hubitat has more granular control of blinds. With door looks it comes down to the beaming technology that becomes a challenge, but I'll experiment with it and see how things go.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X