This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading JowiHue from HS3 to HS4

When you are planning to install the HS4 version of the plugin over the HS3 version:

Make sure to have a backup!

Before installing the HS4 version of the plugin.
    The conversion of devices is a one time, one way step. Once the conversion has started, be sure to let the plugin finish the conversion otherwise you might experience issues that only can be resolved by restoring the backup and redoing it. If you have to interrupt the first run, please restore a backup.
    Below a global description what is going to happen during the conversion of HS3 JowiHue devices:

Conversion of devices
    If you have an existing installation of the HS3 version of JowiHue, the available devices will have to be converted to the new structure HS4 is using. In HS3 devices were handled as Standalone devices or as Parent/Child devices. HS4 does no longer work with standalone devices (like the White only bulbs or the Philips Tap buttons) other then handling it as a legacy device. The Parent/Child devices are now handled as Device(s) with Features.

As an example: A physical Multi-sensor device will now be added as a single device with several features (like temperature, motion and lumen capabilities) Views will show the device as one (tile), with the extra features shown as small icons or - when in tile view - with the features and their values below the device.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NewItem18.png Views:	1 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	1400237Click image for larger version  Name:	NewItem20.png Views:	1 Size:	176.1 KB ID:	1400238

The conversion for devices that are standalone will add a feature and use the old device as device, doubling the buttons in fact.
    **Important!** events controlling the previous standalone devices will have to be updated, so the event will address the feature device from there on.

Using the tile view has a challenge for devices that hold many buttons. HS4 will try to show the controls, but when there are too many, HS4 will combine those controls to one button called "Controls" The JowiHue uses (too) many buttons on on/off devices for Lights. The buttons were added for dimming sliders, dim up/down, on/off and Alert/Blink.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NewItem21.png Views:	1 Size:	25.1 KB ID:	1400239

Known issues at this point

Not really an issue, but a limitation: The new tile view of HS4's device page has a limitation on the number of buttons and sliders. If a device has more buttons the tile view will only show one button "Control", which will popup a window showing all controls of the device. This is the case for On/Off devices for lights or groups.
    During conversion of the devices a new device will be created with the name of the light or group with "(Extra)" added to it in preparation of limiting the number of buttons on ad device. This device holds several of the buttons of the On/Off device. But the conversion will not remove the same buttons from the on/off buttons as there might be device actions that control these buttons. This will give you time to update those events (using the new HS4 search functions will easy your job finding these)
    Once all events are updated, enable the setting "clean On/OFF buttons" that will be visible in the settings page in the near future. this will clean the on/off devices and hide this same setting for the future.
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Wim, what process shall we use to transition from the legacy plug-in to the HS4 specific plug-in? Is the correct process to disable then remove the legacy plug-in, install the HS4 specific plug-in, then at our leisure go through updating events for the issue above? Thank you.

Comment

Up till now that is what I did here for my tests since last year September. So it is a proven path for the HS4 plugin testing. It was only until short ago I heard about the 'alternative' method. I have since then tested this path also, with installing the HS4 version of the plugin directly on the new HS4 installation. This worked for me as well, so I think both methods should be fine.

Personally I like the using the legacy plugin at first more. The only reason for that is that you can confirm the HS4 installation itself is working fine, without the extra variables of having extra HS4 plugins running. Also this is a good point for a clean backup of the HS4 installation.

But both methods work, at least for me

Will be converting my production system soon too.

Wim
      -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

I upgraded last Friday and so far... 🤞🏻... HS4 seems to be doing ok. I have a few nightly backups now so I'll flip over to the HS4 plug-in and see how it goes.

Comment

Save method, before upgrading the plugin enable detailed logging and log to file in the old plugin. If something goes wrong you have the information in the \Logs|JowiHue.log file. Save this file
          -- Wim

Comment

Wow, ok. I was just informed by HomeSeer that if I want to use this plugin with HomeSeer 4 I have to buy it again. Is that true?

I guess I'll move to the free one they provide and make do with it instead.

Comment

So I moved from HS3 to HS4 and having some issues:
              1. HUE motion sensors - sensors (3 HUE motion sensors) from HS3 are still having 4 child devices, including battery. I added new one HUE motion sensor, and it doesn't have battery as a child device. I tried to disable and enable plugin, restart the system, still do not see battery child device
              2. Response time pretty slow - sometimes about 5 sec. I do not remember it was that slow before
              3. When I remove sensor from the bridge, plugin become unresponsive. I needed to restart HS4

I am running Ubuntu 17.10 and 4.1.2.0 HS4Pro. Hardware - Gigabyte brick with i5 processor.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcentire View Post
                Wow, ok. I was just informed by HomeSeer that if I want to use this plugin with HS4 I have to buy it again. Is that true?

dmcentire

When did you buy the HS3 license? If it was before November 1 2019, then yes, sorry there is a reduced price of around $16. It took a lot of time to comply this plugin to the new HS4 pluginSDK as every call to HS and every page had to be changed.

f you bought it after November 1, 2019, however, you should have received a upgrade license as well.

So I moved from HS3 to HS4 and having some issues:
                1. HUE motion sensors - sensors (3 HUE motion sensors) from HS3 are still having 4 child devices, including battery. I added new one HUE motion sensor, and it doesn't have battery as a child device. I tried to disable and enable plugin, restart the system, still do not see battery child device
                2. Response time pretty slow - sometimes about 5 sec. I do not remember it was that slow before
                3. When I remove sensor from the bridge, plugin become unresponsive. I needed to restart HS4

I am running Ubuntu 17.10 and 4.1.2.0 HS4Pro. Hardware - Gigabyte brick with i5 processor.

Vladimirkousa

How did you remove the sensor from the bridge? By using the bridge maintenance page, or by deleting the devices?
                The response time (I assume you are using the Philips hue bridge) is set in the settings, the polling time. The Philips Hue bridge needs to be polled. So if you have set this to 5 seconds, then that is the average response time you can have. This not different from the HS3 version. If conversion went well, the polling setting is still the same.
                -- Wim

Comment

Originally posted by dmcentire View Post
                  Wow, ok. I was just informed by HomeSeer that if I want to use this plugin with HomeSeer 4 I have to buy it again. Is that true?

The legacy plugin continues to operate if you upgrade from HS3. The plug in was re-written for HS4, which is developer time, so I felt it was fair to pay for the upgrade. There was a discount of something like 60% if you already own the HS3 version of the plugin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Wim
                    Thank you for responce

Vladimirkousa

How did you remove the sensor from the bridge? By using the bridge maintenance page, or by deleting the devices?
                    The response time (I assume you are using the Philips hue bridge) is set in the settings, the polling time. The Philips Hue bridge needs to be polled. So if you have set this to 5 seconds, then that is the average response time you can have. This not different from the HS3 version. If conversion went well, the polling setting is still the same.[/QUOTE]

#3 - I removed the sensor by using bridge maintenance page.
                    #2 - Polling time was set to 5 sec. Going to change it to 2 sec. Missed it somehow.
                    Any idea about #1 - no battery chile device?

Thanks
                    Vladi

Comment

I will check on the battery device. A quick test here with a different sensor was creating the battery device. More testing needed I guess. Also will check on the removal of a device with the bridge maintenance page. Plugin should just continue to run.

Thanks,

Wim
                      -- Wim

Comment

Thanks in advance.
                        That (not having battery child device) was actually the reason why I removed Hue motion sensor from the bridge (and added it back) in a first place.
                        Following your advice, I've changed polling interval to 2 sec (from 5 sec), and it helped a bit. However, when I check polling interval in the settings it was 3 sec. I changed it to 2 sec again, but during "save" operation it jumpind to 3 sec all the time. Looks like 3 sec is the min possible in plugin

Thanks
                        Vladi

Comment

Vladi,

Yes, testing here showed that a Philips bridge can get really slow if polled too often. That is why the plugin set 3 seconds as a minimum. As it is polling there will always be a bit of delay. Commands are send immediate, but reflecting the update in the device. The other gateway, deCONZ (ConBee/RaspBee) uses a webhook, so this reflects any change instantly.

Wim
                          -- Wim

Comment

Hi Wim
                            I am still trying to understand why some Hue motion sensors are not having battery child device. I just installed today 2 new Motion sensors and they are having it. Mystery...
                            In the meantime I saw an issue with sensitivity adjustments in JowiHue tab (in your plugin). I am trying to change sensitivity from 2 to 0 (or 1) and during save I see message: "Unable to save changes : Save failed for unknown reason".
                            Still having problem with removing device from the bridge. Need to stop/start homeseer service (I am on Ubuntu)

Thanks
                            Vladi

Comment

I will check on the change here, will keep you posted
                              -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                              X