Smartbulb choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smartbulb choices

So with the JowiHue PI and a deConz gateway, what choices do I have regarding smartbulb options and vendors?

Sorry for the noob question, but I've done nothing but zwave for the past decade. ;-)

I actually have the same question... the biggest question in my mind is what advantage do I have if a choose a color bulb like Hue over the dozens of knock-offs available now today?
    I'm willing to pay more if I actually get more.

All insights appreciated.

Comment

kwolter For a 'short' list of devices, check https://www.phoscon.de/en/conbee2/compatible for an official overview of compatible devices, lights/sensors/switches/thermostats etc.
      For the newly added versions, make sure to check on the releases, that are not always documented: https://github.com/dresden-elektroni...lugin/releases You will see that very many devices are added lately.
      deCONZ is currently very much on the move....

TC1

For the color bulb, opinions favor Philips Hue more then average. There are several brands supporting color bulbs, but I have not seen any bulb as stable and reliable as Philips Hue. But opinions might differ on that area. In my experience knock-offs are knock-offs. You get what you pay for. One advice, if you go for those (nothing wrong with it if it works for you) do not go for sengleds as they are not doing in zigbee what a light should do - extend the network.

Thanks,

Wim

-- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

w.vuyk exceelent advice, since one of my main concerns is that I am investing in Zigbee battery-powered sensors. You anticipated one of my concerns, many thanks.

Comment

Only have hue bulbs here ...20 in total .

And maybe 40-50 end devices.
          The mesh is really strong because of the hue bulbs.

Comment

So here's where I'm confused...

I just invested in a ConBee2 for a ZigBee gateway, and some ZigBee sensors. If I buy Hue bulbs, do I then have to move the sensors to the Hue Bridge and network in order to use the bulbs as repeaters? I assume in order to properly/fully use the Hue bulbs I need to use their bridge. Does my ConBee now become useless?

Comment

Nope! Especially when using sensors, use ConBee2 or a Raspbee (both deCONZ gateways). deCONZ supports Philips Hue bulbs and sensors just as good as the Philips Hue bridge. No need for the Philips Hue bridge when using deCONZ. Nowadays even firmware updates are supported by deCONZ.

It is not a desinvestment at all. Responding to sensors is a lot better with deCONZ then Philips Hue as the latter needs polling and deCONZ not at all really.

Wim
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thanks Wim!

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                  I actually have the same question... the biggest question in my mind is what advantage do I have if a choose a color bulb like Hue over the dozens of knock-offs available now today?
                  I'm willing to pay more if I actually get more.

All insights appreciated.
                  I wasn't willing to pay $45 USD per bulb for a color BR30 by Philips Hue (price on Amazon), so I decided to try SYLVANIA SMART+ ZigBee Full Color BR30 LED Bulb, which on Amazon is less than 1/5th the cost of the Philips Hue bulb. This Sylvania bulb was readily added to deConz Conbee and works pretty well with JowieHue, with some minor exceptions (e.g., color loop not working). It is a repeater and forms a decent mesh with my other zigbee devices. Just something to consider. Elliott
                  "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                  "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

I wasn't willing to pay $45 USD per bulb for a color BR30 by Philips Hue (price on Amazon), so I decided to try SYLVANIA SMART+ ZigBee Full Color BR30 LED Bulb, which on Amazon is less than 1/5th the cost of the Philips Hue bulb. This Sylvania bulb was readily added to deConz Conbee and works pretty well with JowieHue, with some minor exceptions (e.g., color loop not working). It is a repeater and forms a decent mesh with my other zigbee devices. Just something to consider. Elliott
                    Thanks Elliott, appreciate the insights. I'm going to seriously consider your suggestion since I agree with your sentiments, I've found through a lot of research that most home automation products on the market come from the same Chinese factories, with some minor tweaks on cosmetics, hence the higher price ones you're just paying for branding. Since I don't see myself putting color bulbs everywhere (my philosophy is that the automation should stay in the infrastructure, ie, the wall dimmer) I might still stick with a handful of Phillips bulbs for full compatibility of all features. I'm still deciding.

Comment

Working...
                    X