deConz disconnects from ConBeeII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deConz disconnects from ConBeeII

I understand that this is a ConBee/deConz problem, but to be blunt, the support for these products is not optimal in my experience. I'm hoping I'll get better answers from experienced users here.

I discovered this morning that many of my ZigBee sensor data hadn't been updated overnight. I logged into the Windows PC running HS and deConz, I saw the deConz app was still open on the screen but that it was no longer connected to the ConBee. Pushing the reconnect button didn't help, so I rebooted the PC and now things are back to normal. They are both installed on the same PC

Two questions:
    1. Has anyone ever experienced the deConz and the ConBeeII losing communication?
    2. It seems deConz by default does not log... the excuse is that it would fill up storage very quickly... wtf? Why not have have different logging levels like errors only, summary, verbose, etc? Once again, documentation for command line switches to activate logging can not be found (by me), does anyone know where the command line switches are documented?

Thanks.

Not sure if it still works but have a look at https://github.com/dresden-elektroni...ment-643735621
    Initially closed but see recent comment by @bortim at the bottom. Maybe it will help you out.

edit: just noticed running on Windows PC. Never mind

But yes, documentation stinks and I have seen the same issues with sensors in deConz (and running Linux). Specifically, the SYLVANIA SMART+ ZigBee Motion and Temperature Sensor in my case. I also had a collection of the Sylvania Smart+ bulbs along that one sensor attached to it. Had nothing but communication troubles and chalked it up to Smart+ being garbage. Eventually, I used everything with Sylvania Smart+ on it to zero in the laser on my .22, unplugged the ConBee II, and removed deConz. Maybe I should have looked into that logging thing first? Oh well, at least I can nail a dime from 50 yards without any effort :/

Comment

Yeah, I keep seeing bits and pieces of deConz "stuff" appear all over the Internet, but nowhere can I find the definitive command line switch documentation. So all we have is random users saying use these parameters but with no explanation what they do.

Comment

Closest one, but you need to interpret the docker part (remove deconz from parameters) is https://hub.docker.com/r/marthoc/deconz
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

So....
          had another episode overnight where deConz just disconnects from the ConBeeII USB dongle on the same computer. The only way i found out is because some of my events weren't triggering as they should, checking the device statuses showed they hadn't updated for over a dozen hours. Further logging into my home automation platform showed the deConz app disconnected from the ConBee and would not reconnect. This is all running on Windows 7 Enterprise. The only thing that solved it was rebooting the laptop it was running on (which is always plugged in).

Doing some googling made me realize I made a rookie mistake.. not disabling power management on the USB ports. Which would make sense if somehow the dongle was allowed to go to sleep. So I disabled power management on all USB ports and now I'll wait and see if it happens again <sigh>.

Comment

Ouch.... I think you are on to something there.... It seems this was resolved on Windows 10 as I did not see this happening, nor a lot of other users as I guess most are running Windows 10... But I sure remember having to disable power management in the past, for my UZB stick on windows 7.

Wim
            -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

<sigh> Three days later and it happened again.

Known facts:
              1. It doesn't seem to happen at a set time, though it does happen overnight when I'm obviously not watching it (sounds like a problem child, joking).
              2. I checked all the Windows event logs and so far can not find a corresponding event near the time it disconnects.
              3. Trying to get deConz to reconnect is unsuccessful. Enabling and disabling the USB connection where the ConBee2 is plugged in does not help. The only thing that seems to work is a PC reboot, which obviously power cycles the dongle.

I don't like "brute force" solutions because it just covers up the underlying issue. But at this point I need a short term solution until I can find the root cause. I noticed in the deConz application there's a function to reboot the controller (see attached photo)

w.vuyk would it be possible to expose this function in JowiHue so that one could schedule an event to reboot the device?

Comment

This is a function in deCONZ, which cannot be controlled by the plugin.
                Maybe you could try the solution explained here? You could put this in a script and let it run daily, either by HS or in the task planner?

Wim
                -- Wim

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                  This is a function in deCONZ, which cannot be controlled by the plugin.
                  Maybe you could try the solution explained here? You could put this in a script and let it run daily, either by HS or in the task planner?

Wim
                  That's perfect, I was looking for a similar solution but could not find anything. Thank you.

On a different note, the Dresden folks just released new firmware a few days ago, with many fixes. I've successfully applied the update to the ConBee2 and updated deConz. I'll wait for a few days to see if that solves the issue before attempting a scheduled restart of the USB device.

Comment

<sigh><again> Less than 24 hours after the firmware and software upgrade it seems deconz and the ConBee2 have lost connection again. Will next try to implement the scheduled restarts of the USB device.

Comment

Working...
                    X