Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use a secondary install of HS for USB dongles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wkearney99
    replied
    Thank, I've not yet tried it as I don't want to break anything, yet. I've not done any remote plug-in use.

I've been assembling and configuring a new machine to handle running various VMs. But where the machine will be installed is different from where the current HS3 install is located. Thus the potential for disruptions with the RF layout for z-wave, zigbee and the like. Things work where they're located now. I'm hoping to find a way to leave the RF hardware "in place" and run everything else out the VM.

Leave a comment:

• w.vuyk
    replied
    Ok, sorry, did not get that from your first post. I have never tested it my self, but you could try to run the Z-Wave plugin remotely to the HS machine, on the Windows machine as it needs to be local to the USB device. HS3 would allow you to do that, I suppose it still wil be possible in HS4.
    For the RFXCom device you could ask Bert in his forum if the RFXCOm plugin allows running remotely from the HS machine. I suppose it can be done, just like the ZWave plugin?

Wim

Leave a comment:

• wkearney99
    replied
    Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
    If you have deCONZ and the usb on a Windows machine, you can run HS4 and JowiHue from a different machine fine, no matter if HS is running on Windows or Linux.
    Initially the plugin will not initiate the connection as the IP address has changed probably, but within 5 minutes it should be ok again.
    True, but I'm not running just that dongle via USB. I also have a z-wave interface and a RFX 433mhz interface (that I've never made time to set up). I used to have a HS-phone interface but gave up on that years ago.

Leave a comment:

• w.vuyk
    replied
    If you have deCONZ and the usb on a Windows machine, you can run HS4 and JowiHue from a different machine fine, no matter if HS is running on Windows or Linux.
    Initially the plugin will not initiate the connection as the IP address has changed probably, but within 5 minutes it should be ok again.

Wim

Leave a comment:

• wkearney99
    started a topic Use a secondary install of HS for USB dongles?

Use a secondary install of HS for USB dongles?

I'd like to move my HS3 install off where it's currently installed and over into linux running in virtual machine. Which presents some complications as passing USB devices is tedious, at best.

Is it possible to have two HS3 instances talking with each other? As in, leave one running just the USB/windows specific stuff and everything else in a linux vm.

I ask here because it's the JowiHue bridge talking to my Conbee that'd still be on a 'bare metal' install of windows.

If not then I guess I'll have to wade into the pci passthrough adventures with the USB ports.
Working...
X