Power Outage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Outage

When there is a power outage, everything comes back up but somehow when the HS4 PC comes up it doesn't see the raspbee/JowiHue. I've been rebooting the raspbee and restarting HS4 (both manually) then everything is fine.

I "assume" the raspbee is up and running before the PC since it's just a RPi3 and I also have a 90second delay for HS4 through Startup Delay on the PC.

Thee are the only errors I see:

11/13/2021 14:57:14 JowiHue Warning Warning: Bridge deCONZ-GW-RPi3 Not reachable. (this every 5 minutes)
    11/13/2021 14:52:32 JowiHue Info Error:A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond (this one time at startup process)

I saw something mentioned about this but can't find the post, so I have to ask again. Help please.

No problem. The issue is the sequence of things. If power is restored, you router starts, which often is taking some time. The raspbee starts at the same time, which takes less time, so it starts either with no IP address or a fake IP address. Your HS4 PC starts too, and most of the time also before the router is up and running. Assuming the HS4 PC is running on Windows, the PC will have a fake IP address, something in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range if this is default. So in fact network wise all is a mess.

Rebooting both raspbee and PC after the router is up and running prevents this "mess". The only way to prevent this, is making sure the RaspBee and Windows PC only start after the router is started.... Don't know if there are UPS systems that can do this after a power drain....
    Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thanks Wim, for now I don't have a UPS since both that I've tried have had numerous issues. They would see over voltage, when there wasn't any, they would act as if there was a power outage when there wasn't, numerous other anomalies. I tried both APC and Tripplite. They both had terrible user software and didn't work nicely with HS. I'll post elsewhere for other recommendations.

I can easily put a longer startup delay for the Windows PC, but not sure how I would accomplish that for a RPi. I'm certainly not a Linux nerd, more like a noob.

Comment

Delaying the startup of HS will not solve anything. The point is that Windows will use the 169 address if it does not see the router (assuming you use DHCP). If HS starts, the system has already the fake address and things will use this address. It is the PC itself that would need the delay for the router to start. That is what makes things difficult.
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

I understand. I have an event called Startup and I trigger it in startup.vb. This sends a text message to my phone.
          I should be able to then tell the event to wait 5 minutes (for example) and then restart HS because by then the PC should have the correct address, correct?
          That may need a script which I'll need help with, but I'll get there.

Thanks!

Comment

No, You really need to restart the PC then.... At least for me, this 169 address is not going away by itself, yu need to refresh the DHCP lease as well
            -- Wim

Comment

Got it, I re-read your previous note and I got it now. I'm going to try the BLShutdown PI which I will have to manually fire or possibly use a virtual device to trigger only once. We'll see.

Comment

For critical nodes on my network, I set static IP addresses to avoid this. It is not always possible (i.e z-net, for example) but can significantly reduce the number of places you have to look after an outage.
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

kenm They used to all be set static in the router but the current Optimum/Altice router is a royal pain. They want to set and control everything for you. I hate them, but don't have much of a choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X