Plugin sees DeCONZ but DeCONZ doesn't see Conbee II after Windows Restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin sees DeCONZ but DeCONZ doesn't see Conbee II after Windows Restart

I've had this annoying issue for a few months so I thought I'd bring it up here to see if anyone else has seen it. After a Windows Update "Restart Now", HS4 starts up fine (I use Startup Delayer) as does the JowiHue plugin. It connects to the Phoscon-GW but doesn't see any Zigbee activity. When I look at DeCONZ, it is not connected to the Conbee II and it will not connect again until I unplug and re-plug the Conbee II.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

I don't have the exact issue you have, but I do have an issue with deconz disconnecting from the ConBeeII randomly. I'm running on a decade old Win7 laptop, so I'm not sure if it's something generic to the Conbee/deconz, or a problem due to old USB hardware and OS. The only way to get it to reconnect was either a reboot, or reseating the USB (like you are), or disabling and enabling the ComPort it's connected to.

To address your issue:
    • In your startup sequence, ensure that deconz is being launched first before HS4, and hence the JowiHue plugin.
    • There's been chatter on the deconz dev boards that the ConBee message queue is getting overwhelmed sometimes, which can cause it to be unresponsive/lockup. Check the baud rate settings on your ComPort, I found that by playing with these it did help somewhat. These are my current settings, I set the Transmit and Receive buffers to their lowest settings:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	133
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1593799
    • Ensure that Windows didn't set the USB jack that the ConBee is plugged into to allow it to sleep.
    • The next time it disconnects from deconz, instead of physically reseating it, open up Device Manager and right click the comport it's plugged into and select disable. Then right click again and enable it. If it that allows deconz to auto connect to it then I have a programmatic solution for you that I'm currently using.​

Comment

Thanks for the input. I exchanged emails with a friend who works on Windows at Microsoft and he pointed me towards a downlevel/mis-behaving USB driver for the chipset, not specifically for the Conbee II. He suspects the USB port isn't getting "reset" during the restart and is therefore is hung-up somehow.

"if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

So what is the suggestion from him? Is there a better driver available for your chipset? It's rare I've ever seen a USB driver other than the generic Microsoft one.

Comment

Check for BIOS updates and chipset updates for my platform. I'm running the latest. Conbee II shows up in Device Manager as USB Serial Device (COM12) using the generic Microsoft USB Serial driver. I'm leaning towards updating DeCONZ but it's been working fine otherwise so I'm a little hesitant to do that. I'm running DeCONZ 2.17.1.

Comment

I'm running deconz V 2.18.02, I would not run anything higher (the 2.19 series) until they fix some bugs that have to do with command queuing/the Conbee becoming non-responsive. I tried 2.19 and had constant lockups, 2.18.02 is what users on the Github have noted gives them the least problems.

I'd also update the firmware if you haven't already, latest is 26780700

Comment

I am here running 2.20.0 at the moment and for me the delays have gone. Running my raspbee here now for 2 weeks without having to restart it. Earlier I needed to restart deCONZ at least once a week, because of the delays. So I think we are getting in a save area on the non-response area.

kenm
              I do not have a good idea yet on why deCONZ would not connect to the Conbee stick. Did you check on the firmware on the conbee?
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thanks Wim. I'm going to update to 2.20.0 later today. I'm not sure how to check the firmware on the conbee but I'm looking into that as well. Someone suggested that DeCONZ may be leaving the conbee in a bad state if it isn't gracefully shutdown during the restart. I'm going to experiment with that as well.

I'll post back when I know more.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                  Thanks Wim. I'm going to update to 2.20.0 later today. I'm not sure how to check the firmware on the conbee but I'm looking into that as well.
                  Just use the Phoscon web interface:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	71
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1595124

Comment

Got it. That's the same firmware I have.

Comment

Working...
                    X